I need an idea on Valentine mailboxes

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by minnie, Jan 22, 2010.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jan 22, 2010

Does anyone have any ideas for cute Valentine mailboxes for my Valentine's Day party? I went on Oriental Express, but they all seem so complicated to put together.

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 23, 2010

The easiest Valentine card holders are made with white paper lunch bags. You can see a picture on my Valentine Page. The BEST Valentine holders we ever made were with Quaker oatmeal boxes, you can also see a picture at the link above.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 23, 2010

We also do the lunch bags and decorate them. I buy the white ones and give the kids stickers and hearts to decorate their bags.

Another idea is to take two white paper plates cut one in half and staple the half to the whole plate in a way to make a pocket. We then put a piece of string to be able to hang them up and decorate them.

I like the bags better because they can hold more.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 23, 2010

Came looking for ideas not with any of my own... so thanks for asking the question for me. :)

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 23, 2010

I do the bags, too. I think this year I may have them make little heart people to glue on the bag: cut out a heart, draw a face on it, and zig zag strips of paper for legs and arms. Kind of like this, but smaller so they can fit on the bag:
    http://preschoolpalace.org/images/heart person image.JPG

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2010

Another vote for the bags. Soooo much easier than covering shoeboxes or whatnot. I use the white lunch bags and the purple ones sometimes. The kids love cutting out hearts (for many of them it's the first time and we have some very "interesting" hearts decorating the bags). Then I just tape the bags along chalk trays or shelving in my classroom so it's easy to drop the cards in them.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 23, 2010

Use two heavy cardboard type paper plates. Cut one in half at the middle and use one half for the front of the V holder. Staple it, face down, to another plate that is the back of the V holder. Kids can decorate however you want them to. If you use a lot of staples, none of the small valentines will fall out. You can punch a hold at the top, tie a ribbon and hang them. Or just set them on a ledge somewhere.

9. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Jan 23, 2010

I use cereal boxes and cut off the top. I cover them in colored contact paper and let the kids decorate them with stickers, foam and other assorted Valentine things. I like these because they are sturdy and work well if you have kids bringing in Valentine's with little treats attached.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2010

Plastic gallon milk jugs-my son made one in first or second grade. An adult would have to cut a large opening (hole) - cutting the 'neck' of the bottle off and extending the opening so you have a large hole. The kids decorated by gluing paper hearts, stickers on the jug. You could line up on a table or hang from yarn/ribbon threaded through handle. There's one with a giraffe theme here:
    http://www.littlegiraffes.com/valentines.html

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 24, 2010

I ordered white gift bags, with handles on them on Ebay, I wanted nice sturdy bags, then we are going to colorl, sticker or paint them.

12. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Jan 24, 2010

I make real-looking mailboxes with the kids (we also study our addresses at this time, so it goes well with that topic)

:wub:This is the way we do it:

Materials:
    -stickers
    -markers
    -glue
    -1 12x18 sheet construction paper
    -1 construction paper piece cut to look like a small flag on the side of a mailbox (or have a piece of file folder cut like one and they can trace & cut out their own)
    -1 brad
    -1 shoe box (no lid)

1. Decorate your large construction paper w/the stickers and markers.
    2. Decorate your flag (I have them write their address)
    3. Put glue (white glue) on the long sides of the shoe box.
    4. Glue the construction paper to the sides with an opening at the top so it looks like a real mailbox (the paper will be like an upside down letter u)
    5. Fasten the flag to the side with the brad.

Now you have a real looking mailbox for your valentines!:love:

13. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Jan 25, 2010

I am getting those big manila envelopes w/ the little metal fastener on them and having hte kids decorate them with their name, stickers, etc. Then they can fill them and voila! I found that lunch bags end up not being big enough- there are too many cards w/ treats to fit! This way they can close up the envelope and take the whole thing home!

14. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jan 25, 2010

The current Family Fun magazine has some cute ideas using tissue boxes and other easy to collect stuff.

15. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

Another vote for white lunch bags. I have 18 children and they always are big enough for the cards; they take up very little room and they are flat on the bottom so they will stand up. The children decorate them and it is a very easy project.

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2010

Me, too, but I add pipe cleaner handles, twisted red and white together, it looks really cute! :love:

17. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

I take the easy way out and make it a family involvement project for the month of February. The child makes a Valentine box or bag at home and brings it in. They get to do a 'show and tell' and tell us about their bag during circle time - who helped make it, what did they use, etc. Makes a good language and social skills activity and also encourages the others to bring one in. We only have to make a few for those who don't.

18. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 7, 2010

Ok - a tech at my school offered this advice and I'm taking it! :)

She said the white paper bags ALWAYS rip... what she's done in the past is used GALLON Ziploc bags - this way when they're all done, they can just fill their bags and zip them up to go home.

I found some foam valentine stickers at the Dollar Store for them to decorate them with... I'll write their names on them with a Sharpie... maybe they won't LOOK as cute, but they'll be very functional. Is that totally lame?

19. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2010

:thumb:

20. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2010

Just wanted to defend the lunch bags. I've used them for 10 years and never had a problem! I just love how simple they are. Maybe students of other socioeconomic levels bring to many treats and fill them up, but it has never been a problem for us and 27 students. Most of my students just have a lollipop or box of Nerds attached to the card.

21. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 7, 2010

I don't think my plastic bags are going to be as pretty OR fun as the paper ones - but I'm hoping they're more excited about what's INSIDE them.