I need a plan!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by clld2tch, Jun 29, 2009.

1. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm teaching kindergarten next year and wanted to see what kind of management plans people have used. Most of the teachers at my school use the stoplight/colors as their plan. I feel like that plan is okay but I'd like to see what else is out there.

Any ideas?

3. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 8, 2009

I teach 1st and I use a program similar to the stoplight idea. I have a "Beary Good Choices" board. They turn a bear card for bad choices but the class can earn bear stickers for good behavior in the cafeteria, hallway, or special area classes. They get a little paper bear ticket to color every afternoon that lets their parents know how they did that day. I only write a brief note on the bear if they changed colors that day. They get a small class reward every week or two for the stickers. (It may be 5 extra minutes of playtime or a twisty crayon or whatever I have!) My rules are basic- Be safe. Be polite. Be responsible. Be respectful. Everything falls under one of these 4 rules.
    A special note for Kindergarten - our K teachers use a similar program using stars. They also send a star report home everyday. They have a white warning star that can change back if they improve their behavior.
    This is not exactly different from the stoplight idea but there did not seem to be much response to this question.

4. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jul 8, 2009

I was in a field placement this past year in first grade. The 3 teachers came together and developed the same plan, which made it so much easier for the students to understand (and even the specials teachers caught on!)

Bonus Cards
    Students start out with 3 each and every day. Through participation and outstanding work efforts (whether it's graded work or whatever), students can EARN bonus cards. However if a student misbehaves, instead of taking away recess, you take away a bonus card.

By the end of the day, the first graders needed to have at least 5 cards. 4 was pushing it, but it depend on the student - like if Suzy is usually a really good kid, but is having a rough day and only got 4 cards, you could bump her to 5. *Each day the teachers would mark on an attendance list a star (5+) or the number they had (less than 5).

At the end of the week, those who had earned 5 stars, got to eat lunch and watch a movie in the classroom.

I'm sorry if that's confusing, but I found it to be highly effective. It was really helpful for me, since I was only in the classroom once a week because I could easily say "Quietest 3 back to their seat get a bonus card" - very easy classroom management!

Works great with subs, too!

Hope this helps!

5. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Thanks you guys...I had almost given up on this post. I appreciate it.

6. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Jul 12, 2009

I teach K, and believe in LOTS of positive reinforcement. Here is what I use...its a variety of several ideas, but I use them all...

1. I have a bee hive divided in 3 sections (actually this year I will use a fish tank, but you can use anything). Top section is a happy face, middle has a flat face and the bottom is sad. There are wooden clothespins with the kids names on them clipped to the side of the section. The kids start out EVERY day clipped in "happy". I susually give a warning before I tell them to "move your clip down because ____". I always tell them why. If the behavior continues, they move it down to ad, and this results in a phonecall home (honestly, I only had to do this like 2x this year). Everyone who stays in happy all day, gets a smiley face on a behavior chart at the end of the day, which is filled up for a trip to the treasure chest.

2. I give a 'buzz' (tiny slip of paper with the word buzz and a bee) to kids who are working quietly, or doing their best, or complimenting other students...they write their name on it and put it in a jar at the front of the room. I hold a buzz drawing every Friday where I pull out 2, read the names and they go to the treasure chest. I then throw away the rest and we start anew each Monday.

3. I have special "Caught Bee-ing Good" award that I give out for really big-deal super moments. I tell the parents in the beginning of the year to make a REALLY big deal if one of these comes home, like trip to the ice cream store, or watch a favorite movie... That way we share in their child's success.

Because of these systems, the kids are SOOOO eager to please me, they hardly ever do anything bad. Maybe I just get lucky and get great students, but this really works well for me. This year, I also plan on using something from Beth Newingham's site that I saw (I know lots of other people are using it as well)- Bucket fillers vs. bucket dippers.

GOOD LUCK!!!:)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2009

I also use a positive reward system, but it is a small group thing. My children sit at tables and each table has a "mascot" (buzzing bees, rockin' rainbows, etc) I have a large version of the mascot hanging above each table. I use small ones to reward good behavior. Children can earn individual or group rewards and I use a bulletin board to post smaller versions of the mascots. At the end of the week the group with the most rewards gets to keep the Sprit Trophy on their table for the following week. I don't take away rewards for negative behavior, that is handled with a quiet look or discussion with the offender. The Spirit Trophy is so popular that the students at each table police themselves.

8. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I LOVE:love::love::love: the spirit trophy idea!!! I totally have to steal that idea!

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2009

I'm researching ways to revamp my program, so thought I'd bump this thread up!