I need a leave of absence, is this info correct?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by wavedave3, Feb 14, 2017.

1. wavedave3

wavedave3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

Hey there,

I am a first year teacher in a first grade classroom. I have been struggling with school-related depression since mid-November and the days keep getting harder and harder. I have been seeing a therapist since November and on medication since December but nothing seems to be helping. I feel like I am at the end of my rope, but I would like to take a leave of absence before ultimately deciding to quit, in hopes that some time off will help me sort things out and decide what's important to me. So here is my question:

I talked to the bookkeeper at my school to discuss my options and this is what she told me. I don't qualify for FMLA because I am still in my first year. I could take an unpaid leave of absence, but I would be required to submit sub plans everyday. Or I could use all of my sick time (about 40 hours) which would be like "paid time off" and I would still have to submit sub plans. My worry is that neither of these seem like the break I feel I need because I will have to constantly be in the school writing plans, making copies, grading, etc, and if I choose to take a leave of absence, I will be doing that all unpaid.

Has anybody else been in a similar situation or can maybe give me some words of wisdom moving forward?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2017

Do you have a contract or employee handbook? Honestly if I had to take the time unpaid, I wouldn't be doing jack squat as far as lesson plans and whatnot.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Feb 14, 2017

That seems about par with what I've seen before. I've heard of teachers on maternity leave who had to grade the papers each week as well as provide lesson plans before they leave, so this doesn't shock me at all.

Talk to your doctor. Do you have disability insurance? That would be the only way someone could take a leave of absence as a first year teacher where I am.

The larger problem I think is that you have school related depression. Do you think it's from your particular school or from teaching in general? If your first year has made you sick, I would hate for you to suffer through a career long depression. Life is too short for that.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Feb 16, 2017

If you can't work in NJ, and it is a medical issue, the state's disability insurance kicks in. Not a full paycheck, but not FMLA either. I suspect different states have different policies.