I must be lousy at teaching 5th grade...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

Today is a good example:
    We read a science lesson on compounds. We talked about, I gave tons of examples, we talked quite a bit about salt and water. Okay, lesson was over. We were ready to start our assignment. I quickly asked, "So, what does compound mean?" Hoping everyone would say, "it's when you combine two or more elements!"

...nope.... they just sat there, staring at me, as if I asked them a question in a foreign language.

Then, we started the assignment, and OH BOY!!! Sob.

I'm starting to think that fifth isn't for me. I need to go back to kinder.

3. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 6, 2007

Don't say that- It usually takes mine a day or so for it to sink in. I usually do a quick review of the previous day each day.

Try teaching asexual and sexual reproduction the second week of school. Awkward!!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2007

I'd say that is pretty typical. Unfortunately. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Even in 5th grade.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

Yes, I suppose. But, that's just ONE example. It seems that nothing has really gone right since I started. Everything that could go wrong, has gone wrong. One thing that keeps happening to me is that I keep losing importnat papers right when I need them. One problem is that it's a new class and I haven't really figured where things will go. Sigh.... plus, I was just going through their grades, and there are so many kids who are missing assignments. I put the name of the assignment on the board and their numbers, but that hasn't quite work. Many don't seem to care. Okay, my stomache hurts. I'm going to shower and then to bed. Thank goodness it's Friday!

6. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Sep 6, 2007

Have you heard of Think, Ink, Pair, Share?

Have your kids get out their slates or a piece of paper...
    ask them the question, then ask them to write their answer down, then compare their answer with a neighbor and then ask for volunteers to share their answers.

This requires active participation.

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 6, 2007

Peachy,

I'm right there with you as far as feeling like I'm not teaching the class well. To be honest, if I had to take a test on the content I'm supposed to teach them, I would probably not do too well myself! Sometimes I wonder how I'm supposed to teach my students when I have to re-study some of the curriculum myself! One thing that seems to go well with my class when I teach a lesson is doing lots of group activities, hands on things, group discussions, and visuals. I find that my kids learn a lot from each other. I'm sure you are being very hard on yourself though. You helped me out so much last year when I was doing kinder and I know from our conversations that you are a very hard worker. School hasn't been in session that long and I know that once things get going you will have a system and a style of teaching that will work well for you and your students.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

Oh, I do lots of group work. Those are my favorite ones!

Well, I've analyzed how my lesson went today, and what I plan to do is this group acitivty (can't remember the name!) where you give a group a passage to read. They become experts and must create a poster (or some sort of art project) and teach it to the class.

So... I'm going to try that tomorrow with our next lesson. I'll give them a paragraph or two. Then, I'm thinking, later on, I'll give each group a whole lesson (they're not too long) and have them work together to come up with activities to teach to the class. Now, these are just ideas.

I do use white boards during math. I don't have them share the answer though. They just hold it up. BUT, I will try think ink share pair. I do like that!

Anymore ideas, send them my way! :D

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2007

That's how I feel too. I am always joking how I never needed to teach compounds and elements in kinder, or what exactly sulfur is. "Good morning kindergartners. Today, we will learn what elements we need to make salt"

Yes, so I also feel that way. What's annoying is that I am the one who will probably move next year (we have 3 5ths and next year, we only need 2 5ths). So, even after this year, I will have to relearn a whole new curriculum. Sigh....

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2007

Something that has worked for me this year...

I collect hw at the start of every day. While the kids are unpacking & getting settled, I check through each assignment, and write down the missing kids on a post it and put it on the front of the assignment (takes about 1-2 min per assignment). I then call on each student to come & see me and either they go get the assignment- or they flip a card for not being prepared, and they fill out a slip saying why they flipped the card.

That is going to save my tush when parent conference time comes. I already had a parent last night at open house who couldn't believe her child had missing assignments (usually wouldn't bring it up on open house, but haven't been able to get in touch with her). I brought out the slips the child filled out- and it sealed that he hasn't been doing his work.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2007

Don't be too hard on yourself. My 5th graders are like this for the first 4-6 weeks of the year. It drives me nuts. I can give the same intructions 4 times and still have half of the class do the assignment incorrectly. It does get better though. It's not just you and it's not necessarily permanent.

I have had trouble keeping track of late work in the past too. The system I have come up with is to 1) have kids record missing assignment and their name in a notebook on my desk) fill out a carbonless note that I sign. They keep the white copy, I put the yellow one in a file folder. 3) The next day I go through my file and look to see who has missing work, call them up to my desk, and take things from there. The notebook is backup in case parents call. I also post all assignments on the front board. Each night I copy down what I posted. If a student was absent I make a note of it on the copied assignments for the day so what I need from them.

12. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 7, 2007

Peachy, I know that I am not smarter than a 5th grader.

I can't seem to get them to understand the math. They just keep saying "I don't get it". Well sometimes, I don't either. I hate the way our book explains things. It's horrid.
    None of my students even seem to try. I spend my whole day running around helping out all 27 students.

I would love to have groups, but the times I tried, it was kaos (excuse my spelling). I have those old desks that are one piece and open on one side. No way to move them into groups. My room is also wall to wall desks. There is no room on the floor for them to sit together. Let me tell you, indoor recess was a nightmare.

I feel your pain. I have cried so many tears. I miss my Pre-k class so much. I miss fingerpainting and singing cute songs.
    I already am planning on looking for another early childhood position for next year.

13. 123456

123456 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

5th grade Science and some of the math seems to be above the students comprehension level! I have to relate it to simpler thinks, when I teach compounds in science, I tell them to remember compound words, so they know its 2. For elements, they write it like this e1ement (the l is a #1 so they know it's one) Then they can remember the definitions easier.
    Does anyone have ideas that have worked for 5th grade math to help kids score better on the FCAT? The text book is too much to fit in by the time we have the test in early March. Sue

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 7, 2007

Well, today went a bit better. One main problem is that our school is undergoing modernization and things are just crazy! We don't have clocks that work, we don't have whiteboards, we don't have a bell system, my phone doesn't work, my intercome doesn't work, my overhead projector light went out, and now, our water is contaminated and all water has been turned off! We are all sick from the water, ugh!!!!!

Okay, but, I'm feeling better. We will get through this!! :D

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 7, 2007

Oh that is great for those quiet classes! I'll have to save it for if I ever get another job.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 7, 2007

OH YUCK YUCK AND DOUBLE YUCK!!!!!!