"I Love You"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by halpey1, Oct 29, 2010.

1. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 29, 2010

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 29, 2010

I only have one student who tells me that he loves me on a daily basis. I usually just give him a hug and say, "Thank You". He also asks me to give him a kiss on his cheek and tells me that he is going to marry me almost every day (and he is serious). I really don't want to give him any additional hope by saying, "I love you." back to him:lol:.

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Oct 29, 2010

I teach high school and have always been warned about those 3 words. I say it very carefully, but I do say it.

It's mostly when something deep is going on. When I've got a boy who's on the edge and I've talked down or he's having a rough time, I'll usually end things with "I love you bro."

There's been a few who I've berated on their performance and flat told them, "I wouldn't waste time on this if I didn't love you. I'm not going to just stand by and watch someone I love do this."

Then there's the medical issues. Everything from pregnancy to cancer to suicide to self injury and more. I care and I don't ask how they're doing to just be nice. When I pass them out of ear shot of others (not out of sight), I ask them how it's going and I always close with I love you.

With some of the girls, it comes with a hug but I'm careful to keep it quick and my hands at the shoulders or a pat on the head. With the boys it's a man hug that comes with a thump on the back (I've gotten a bruise or two from that one, but I wouldn't pass it up.)

I understand the need to be careful in how I relate to my students, but don't ask me not to tell my girl who is in kidney failure or not to tell my boy who just attempted suicide that I love them. (I had both of those last year.)

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 29, 2010

I did when I was a classroom teacher. I taught first graders. My family is very big on "I love you's." We say it every time we see each other so it's not a big deal for me, it's a term of endearment. I feel that if a kid cares enough to say it to me, I want to give it back to them. :) But, I would feel differently if the kids were older.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

My kids know I love them--I show it in little, and not-so-little ways every day. I don't usually initiate the words but, if they ask if I love them the answer is, "of course, you know I do".

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2010

One of my kids told me he loved me once and some of the other kids laughed. I told them I didn't think it was funny-that I loved all of them, and they stopped laughing. I don't say it a lot, but some of them need to hear it.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 29, 2010

I don't say it much. There are times when I'm talking to a student who has made a bad choice and I tell them that I wouldn't be so concerned about them (or situation) if I didn't love them.

9. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Oct 29, 2010

I say it every Friday as they head out the door, and usually several times a week.

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 30, 2010

Every day.

11. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 30, 2010

My kids know I love them.:love: I have no problem telling them, "I love all my students." It is sad that some kids actually say, "Mr./Ms. so and so doesn't love anybody -- only the money." I always respond with "I doubt that, since we don't get paid that much!" :lol: This gets them away from discussing other teachers with me. Some of our kids need the "I love you, too," because they don't hear it anywhere else. :hugs:

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 30, 2010

I just say "thank you". I do appreciate the innocence of it though. If they say it all the time, it probably means people are saying to them all the time-which is a good thing. One boy says it whenever I start to fuss about him not getting his work done. When he says "I love you" it feels like something that works on mom when she wants him to do something. I always want to say back "if you really loved me, then you would do your work";).

13. MsVanillawafer

MsVanillawafer Rookie

Oct 30, 2010

I will always say to my students "You know I care very much about you" as opposed to saying "I love you".

14. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 31, 2010

I do love them and I am not afraid to speak those words to them. If they say it to me, I echo it back to them, and generally enlarge it to include them all if others are present.

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 1, 2010

:lol:
    I hear ya. It always seems like the kids who love you the most are the ones that give you the most trouble. EDIT: If I were you, I would say, "I love you too. Now, get back to work!" :rolleyes:

My kids don't tell me that they love me very often, but they show it by giving me hugs and saying stuff like, "You're the best teacher Ms. Em!" or they'll write, "I love you Ms. Em" on pictures they draw (too shy to say it to my face). And I normally give them a side hug when they do that.

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

Every once in awhile one of my little ones says "I love you coach" and it always catches me a little by surprise but I always tell them I love them, too. My little girl (three) says it about once a week.
    It so sincere it kills me. But she does say I hate you sometimes, also and I reply, "I thought you loved me" Once we told her after the hate comment we would try and find a little girl that won't hate us and she piped up "that little girl will hate you, too." I almost fell out of the chair laughing. she takes after her momma btw. ;)

17. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Nov 1, 2010

Be careful,if you you teach K or 1,I think it is alright. I would be very careful what I say to children in upper elementary through high school,you never know who might be listening and even a very innocent remark can be blown out of proportion.

18. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Nov 1, 2010

I teach 4th grade, and I'm not really worried about it being blown out of proportion (should I really be?). My kids are all very emotionally needy and a lot come from difficult home life. I feel like they need to know that someone cares about them and loves them at school.

19. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Nov 1, 2010

If they say it first, I say it back, but I teach the little guys this year. We're working on short hugs and transitioning this to high fives and shaking hands. (It's adorable to see little kids shake hands.)

20. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2010

I have taught so long I have no problem talking to kids.
    Small town. Taught many of the parents and to be honest many of these kids need all the love and attention they can get.
    Halloween night I probably had 50+ of mykids come up to my house. "trick or treat, COACH!!!
    The saddest was the family that just lost their 17 year old daughter in a car wreck 3 weeks ago. I taught her and all of them. My wife went to school with the mom. They still came out for their young ones. I had to give out some hugs that visit.

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

I said it in class just yesterday to a student. I don't fear saying those words, especially in a large group setting. It isn't said in jest, but it is light-hearted. A rule in my class is if you try to throw trash into the basket and miss, you have to pick up all the trash on the floor. I have some NBA wannabes that should set their sights on something else, lol. One shot, missed and when I pointed to some trash on the floor said "But Mrs. X, you know I love you." I love you too, now get to pickin'...

I think this is something I will have to get dinged on before I change my ways.