I know I'm overthinking this email. Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by miss-m, Oct 9, 2017.

1. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Oct 9, 2017

Alright. So I taught last year at a school that was a little crazy but had a GREAT staff. My team and P were amazing. I left because I had an opportunity to move to Mexico for a year (something I'd been wanting to do for a while), which did not work out - I came back after 2.5 months. Since I returned to the States after the school year had started, I missed all the full time positions and have been subbing.

It's fine; it's not ideal.

So I looked at the district site and saw that my school from last year has an opening for an intervention tutor - it's not a certified position, but it is full time. It was posted in May, so I'm not even entirely sure it's still open, but I want to email the P just in case, and to let her know I've applied.

I also get really self-conscious about emails, so my greetings in them feel awkward and forced every time. My emails to her last year alternated between "Mrs. Lastname" and "Firstname" because I can't for the life of me get comfortable calling her either one - Last name feels too formal, first name feels too informal.

So someone please put me out of my misery - how do I write this email?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Oct 9, 2017

I usually start with a "Good morning" or "Good afternoon" and skip names altogether when I'm unsure.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 9, 2017

Since you are emailing for a job opportunity, use her last name.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2017

Unless I'm already working within a district and just contacting a new person that I've simply never met before, I tend to go last name. That'd be the safest bet out of the two.

6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Oct 11, 2017

Last name. Use first names after you get the job.

7. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Oct 11, 2017

I’ll likely email using her last name - but just to clarify, she’s my P from last year so I do know her. That’s where the dilemma comes in. But since it’s asking about a job, I’m probably more comfortable with last name even though I’ve already worked for her.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2017

If you're emailing about a job (or anything official), be formal. If you were her bff you could probably call her by her first name, "Good morning, Barb.''

Good morning, Ms. so and so,
    I'm writing to inquire about the position I read about... blah blah blah

miss-m likes this.
  9. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Oct 11, 2017

If unsure, I always err on the side of too formal and use Title Last Name even with people in my own district.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Comrade

Oct 11, 2017

This 100%. I do this even when I am sure.

11. miss-m

miss-m Cohort

Oct 18, 2017

Update - I finally just sucked it up and emailed her, and she emailed me right back asking if I'd like to interview because the job is still open! Fingers crossed that it goes well and I can get back to my school. I miss my coworkers and students so much.