I just want to quit!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewKindy1, Sep 25, 2015.

1. NewKindy1

NewKindy1 Rookie

Oct 29, 2015

I actually have thought about teaching abroad. Teaching abroad is something that I've always wanted to do, but based on my experiences, I don't even think I can handle that. I've been looking into that for a few years, but there's so many factors holding me back that I don't think I could handle it.

2. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Nov 6, 2015

The principal who had the nerve to comment about someone else's appearance had no right to talk like that. That was bitter and judgmental on her part.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 6, 2015

I'm sorry... but no. I can't agree here. Appearances are important. Looking unprofessional is a real problem. Commenting on somebody's appearance if their appearance is unprofessional is not bitter and judgmental. Every time a parent sees a teacher looking unprofessional, every time a colleague sees a teacher looking unprofessional... that carries an image around. In this case, with parents and colleagues expressing concern about what was happening, the appearance issue was a symptom of a very serious underlying problem.

bella84 and teacherintexas like this.
  4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2015

ICAM and I will add that for many of the kids I teach, there are no real consequences at home either. This is my biggest frustration with teaching; I work in a district where there seems to be no effective consequences for problematic behavior and we have a problematic student population, especially at the MS and HS level. Calling home, parent conferences, detentions and missing out on incentives are not big enough consequence for most of my kids (7th graders) and these things do nothing to permanently change behaviors. Add in parents who do not give/enforce consequence and make excuses for bad behavior and you get ... the mess my district has.

As my students like to remind me everyday, they can't (won't) be suspended for anything other than fighting/bringing a weapon to school ... and they know that fighting usually just results in an ISS or Admin detention (which they skip). TPTB in my district are always talking about how we can't improve data/test scores until we improve school climates and get behaviors under control - but, they have no solutions for this ...

otterpop likes this.
  5. NewKindy1

NewKindy1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2016

Hello all!!! It's been a while since I last posted here. So I don't really know what provoked me to post here again lol. Just to recap: I had a bad experience and quit my job in October. Since then, I've been seeing a therapist and it's really helped :). My doctor told me to not look for a job until December of last year, so I started my job search and didn't come up with anything until now. Now, I have a job at Sears. It's not a lot of money and I'm still paying for that darn alt cert program, but at least this job won't be as stressful, and I'm still living with my parents, so that helps some. But I'm feeling much better. I still do miss the kids, but I've made my peace with the whole situation. Thank you for all the support!

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2016

Glad to hear that things have improved for you!

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2016

Very happy that you have found some peace. Your sanity is more important.

8. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 4, 2016

I likewise am happy that things have gotten better for you. You probably are gaining good work experience at your present job. I also think that it's a great idea to read these forums even if one isn't a current classroom teacher because they give you an idea of what it's really like to be a teacher in a variety of school settings. You will see that you're definitely not the only one who has had a rough class. It seems as though only a few people have good years in their very first teaching assignments. Several years ago, I myself taught in rough schools but have moved on and have been happy, rewarded, and appreciated in my new school ever since.

Although you were only at your former school for a short amount of time, I think that there had to be at least one parent who appreciated that you cared for the kindergarten children. Parents like these are honest enough to admit that they couldn't handle any teacher's job themselves, let alone a job in a troubled school. I know this because at my former school, we would have new teachers who resigned after a brief stint because of the toxic environment. Thereafter, the few students who wanted to learn said that they missed these teachers and were sad to see them leave.

readingrules12 likes this.
  9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 17, 2016

Do kids in kindergarten normally take tests like that in the US? I am from the states but have been down here in Mexico so long (without experience in kindergarten over there) that I honestly don't know. I teach pre-first (same age as first grade in the states...but it is an extra year in between kinder and first grade here), and our kids do not know how to test. They learn how to take a test with us in pre-first. They are evaluated by other means in kinder. Primarily, one-on-one, and not pencil and paper. Maybe I am out of line, but the idea of them taking a pencil and paper test in kindergarten seems a bit inappropriate. My gut tells me that could be part of the problem with them getting to sit down and actually taking it. However, do the other Kindergarten teachers struggle with this as well? I would observe them (if they are managing well) and try to see what you can do differently.