I just want to quit!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NewKindy1, Sep 25, 2015.

1. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 28, 2015

I know this sounds horrible but when I was over my head as a kindergarten teacher, I used goldfish crackers as rewards. I gave out one at a time to kids who were behaving. So, by the end of the day, at most each kid got maybe 20-30 crackers. Not the best plan, but I swear it worked!

2. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 28, 2015

Another idea is to emphasize the positive things that kids are doing. For instance, if there is a kid who is trying hard to follow directions, you can write a positive note or make a positive phone call to the parents. Some parents are only used to hearing the negatives, so positive notes can be uplifting for them.

As a sidenote, I'm not saying that this is true of your situation but there are at least a few Ps out there who never had a class like yours and thus couldn't teach it themselves. Those Ps complain that teachers can't handle difficult students and yet these Ps just transfer the students to continuation schools. That to me shows that they cannot handle the students either. I would like to see the Ps teach a difficult class for at least a whole year in this day and age.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 28, 2015

Well... based on the description I've seen in this topic and others, I don't think the problem here is the kids themselves.

4. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 28, 2015

I see your view, but there are some classes that would be defiant with any teacher, and I mean any teacher. Like the saying goes, "If you would walk a mile in my shoes, then maybe you will see how strong I really am."

If a teacher in a difficult neighborhood would transfer to a decent school, he or she would have a great experience at the new school because kids who want to learn will succeed with any teacher and at any school. I know because I was an A and B student with every educator I ever had.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 28, 2015

Ask your principal to take your class for 10 minutes and read them a story. Watch how she manages your class. Copy her technique.

Then ask her to take your class for another 10 minutes and watch another K teacher and learn from her.

What's missing from your teaching is management and you can learn this. My first year of teaching started out terrible. My principal told me he was going to fire me at the end of the year. Now I have a shelf full of teaching awards and love love love my job. It can happen to you, too.

Look for books and blogs on the topic of classroom management. Here's one I like.

6. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 28, 2015

I'm glad that you proved the principal wrong and that you love being a teacher. During your first year, it was possible that you had the roughest class in the area and the students would behave in that manner with any teacher.

I love your advice to ask the principal to teach the class for 10 minutes. I said earlier on this forum that with principals who run others down all the time, I would like to see them teach a difficult class for one year. Then we will see how many students talk back and are being defiant.

In the scenario where the principal is teaching the class for 10 minutes, the only reason why some classses behave and cooperate is because they know that the principal can suspend them at any time whereas the teacher obviously doesn't have that level of authority. I still think that it would be helpful to see the way the principal manages the class and to consider emulating her techniques.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Sep 28, 2015

So, how did today go, NewKindy?

Here's hoping it went well.

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 29, 2015

I have been thinking about you too! Hang in there! :)

9. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

Still thinking about you. Let us know how you are doing.

10. NewKindy1

NewKindy1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2015

Hello all!! I went to the doctor last Tuesday and she made me stay off work for a week. I should be able to go back Wednesday. I can't say that I'm particularly ready to go back, but my principal is willing to give me another shot. But I'm still worried about what classroom management techniques will work for my class. I can't let myself get stressed out though. But I'm feeling much better as far as my health is concerned.

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 5, 2015

I am so glad you are still in it! BE TOUGH! Call parents of those who are struggling the most. You can do this!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 5, 2015

If you have any free time during the school day, get out of your classroom and into another teacher's classroom. Observe teachers and see what they do. Try it out in your classroom.

I'm having a heck of a time with a third grade class, so I treat them completely different than I do my other 7 classes. If I see a student doing what I need them to do I will say "Wow, Ciara is doing a great job right now!" and that tends to make 90% fall in line. For my toughest cookies, they do the work by themselves at a table. I started doing this today and this one kid, who "loves" punishments and causing issues, told me he prefers to work like that - zero issues for the rest of the class.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2015

:thumb::thumb:

14. teachjem

teachjem Rookie

Oct 7, 2015

Do you have a mentor or can you observe another class. I observed another class and it helped me with a management system. You will totally wear yourself out. Get a good classroom management system which includes rewards and stick to it. REPEAT several times until they get it. KDg are so young you have to repeat and model a lot and I mean a lot.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 10, 2015

How did things go when you got back?

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 15, 2015

Any updates?

17. NewKindy1

NewKindy1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2015

UPDATE: Ok. So, I went back last week and Monday and Tuesday were alright, but things went from bad to worse. On last Wednesday, I had a student get stabbed with a pencil by another student. I talked to the parents and my principal sent me home for the rest of the day. Thursday was field trip day and Friday was test day, but those two days still weren't any better.
    So I said I was going to try with a fresher start yesterday. Yesterday was alright, except for a few minor hiccups, but today went from bad to worse again. I was in the middle of trying to give an ELA lesson and things just got chaotic. I called for help, but as soon as the help left the room, the class was at it again. So, the secretary was on the hall and she walked into my room and saw everything. By the time she walked out it was time for lunch and getting them to line up for lunch was hell in a hand basket. When I finally got them lined and to the cafeteria, the principal had stopped me in the hall along with the HR director.
    We walked to the principal's office and the HR director showed me two forms; a resignation form and a termination form. So, I have officially resigned from my position.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 20, 2015

I'm sorry things ended so badly for you.

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 20, 2015

I am sorry as well. I'm not sure what you have planned for your future, but I wish you luck! If you do want to continue teaching, don't give up. You can always volunteer and observe in classrooms, or maybe get a job as an aide, to build your skills and gain more experience.

20. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 20, 2015

I'm so sorry. Kindergarten is tough. Use this as a learning experience if you wish to continue teaching.

otterpop likes this.