I have an interview on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bros, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

That's what i'm planning on doing - in addition to getting a haircut and my dad wants to see if we can get a suit jacket - though that is unlikely - last time we tried (a few months ago). the big chains were like "Yeah, we don't have anything in that size, he's too skinny."

"In addition to my student teaching, which concluded in December 2013, I have recently begun listening to lectures on Coursera on supporting children with dyslexia and other reading difficulties. I have also ordered some educational texts on literacy, which I plan on reading soon."

It's complicated. I don't feel comfortable stating why in public. If you would like, I could elaborate in private message.

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 30, 2014

No, bros. That's ok.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2014

Find a store that sells boys' sizes, perhaps? They'll be skinnier. If the sleeves are too long, jackets made for women might do. One could also consider a nice cardigan.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

The boys sizes are right in the chest, but have long sleeves.

My dad insists that in order to look "presentable" at an interview, a guy must wear a suit jacket.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

"Really-which educational texts? How will they help you prepare for this job?"

(keep pretending I'm your interviewer)

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

"The Daily Five and the Cafe Book, both of which will help enhance my understanding of fostering literacy in students of all ages and to engage students in literacy instruction and assessment."

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2014

What have you worn to your other interviews?

8. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

Dress shirt, dress pants, and a clip on-tie.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2014

That sounds perfectly acceptable for an interview.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

"Ah, I see. Well, let's move on. As an instructional assistant, you will be working with students of all ages, under the supervision of several teachers. How might you approach a new teacher and classroom, and what information would you need to know on the first day?"

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

In your area, I would strongly advise investing in a suit.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

"As I am not familiar with the school, I would need to know the locations of the classrooms to which I am assigned. I would also need to have some time to meet with the teachers to discuss their expectations and requirements of me while I am in their classroom. I would need to know the bell schedule, along with when staff are expected to arrive, so I can plan accordingly."

The problem would be finding one that fits. I'm 5'6" and 100 lbs.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 30, 2014

Alterations, bros.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

This. You can get alterations at a reasonable price.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 30, 2014

"Well, of course you would be shown those things in your orientation. What I mean is, what specifically would you talk to the teacher about in regards to you assisting students?'

Hint: IEP, MDT, 504...

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 30, 2014

I have a kid roughly that size and have no problems finding suits for him.

ETA: I would have to get any new suits altered, because on top of being short and skinny, the bone disease he has results in shortened forearms, which means that any off the rack long sleeved shirts or jackets are going to be far too long. Still the alterations aren't ever more than ten bucks or so.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 30, 2014

The site that was posted with adaptive clothes had some very nice things that did not look like it was for an elderly male and in men's small. After many years of working in a men's clothes store, I can tell you that a men's small is very close (less than an inch larger) to a boy's XL. All I have seen is excuse after excuse. You are very lucky to have your parents because you would be working and doing something productive even if you did not make much money if you were my son. Many people have disabilities but you dwell on them and think about how to overcome them but unfortunately you do not puts the thoughts into an action plan. I taught with a teacher who had lost his legs in an automobile accident and had little upper body strength due to the accident. He was an engineer and very smart but due to limitations was no longer able to keep his plant job so at 50 he embarked on a teaching career. There were adaptations made for him but he never let his disabilities get him down or keep him from accomplishing things. Before you say he was not born with his disabilities, he was 48 when he was disabled and it is much harder to change when you are older than if it is something that you had lived with all your life. I can see your dad' point of view--you need to do something productive with your life and maybe it is not teaching.

19. kaytea1203

kaytea1203 Rookie

Oct 30, 2014

I don't understand. I teach 8th graders and some of the boys are around that height. They're tall and skinny. Buy a good suit (or even one from the boys dept. of a department store) and have it altered.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2014

bro, my sons had suits from 7th grade on...for bar mitzvahs, sports dinners, family weddings, dances, proms, etc....they DO make suits in your size....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.