I have a marijuana charge on my record

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Summersoff, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

BUT! I was stupid and young, in fact i recieved this charge 20 days after turning 18. It is NOT indicitive of who i am as a person now....I am 26. I got caught with it BEFORE i even decided to be a teacher. So now i am close to graduating and i am concerned about getting a job. Does anyone know any principals, or are there any principals on this forum that can tell what they think about applicatnts such as myself? I keep thinking that they will see the conviction (misdemeanor--small amount of marijuana) on the app. and put it aside and look for one that doesnt have one. Can anyone tell me anything aboiut my situation? Thank you!

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2007

Do you have to report misdemeanors on applications?

4. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I believe so. At least every online app i see requires you to.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2007

I beleive you do have to disclose it, but they give you a chance to explain. As you said, this is not indicitive of who you are today. People make mistakes.

I don't know the ramifications, but honesty is the best policy.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2007

agreed!

7. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

You might want to look into alternative schools first - a charter school, perhaps, or something along those lines. Once you have a few years under your belt there, you can go for a more typical school and that will be an even looonger time ago.

I think honesty is necessary for this situation. I wonder if you even might want to write a short statement about it to attach w/ your resume, etc.

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

I know in my state you have to have a criminal history check. I think everything shows up on that. But that's usually after the hiring process I believe.

9. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

oh boy what a screw up I've made for myself! I would pay 1,000 dollars even more to get that awful blemish of my records! Its so embarrassing.

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

An intern I new had an alcohol possession on her record from when she was 18. She did write out a little paragraph about it to attach to her application.

She got a job just fine.

Good luck.

Kelly :)

11. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

Honestly I don't think anyone would care. I'd put somthing like posession of a small amount of marijuana at age 18.

It will be less of an issue in liberal areas than highly religious towns.

12. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

Great! thaks for the confidence boost everyone! We all have skeletons in the closet--mine is just out there for the public to see if they look at my record =(

13. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jun 15, 2007

Many people have posted questions concerning DUIs and most of the feedback has been pretty positive. Honestly, I would be VERY hesitant to hire someone with a DUI...which I know probably won't be a popular statement, but is how I feel. In fact, I would be MUCH more likely to hire someone in your situation than someone with a DUI simply because alcohol kills hundreds of innocent people each year and marijuana doesn't. Maybe others will see it that way...?

So, as others have said, if you are applying in a more rural/religious area it might be more difficult, but people will recognize it was years ago and will see you for who you are now. Best of luck!

14. colormegreen

colormegreen Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

If possible, have a little write up to go along with when you disclose it. I think just about everywhere you will have to disclose and have a criminal background check. I had to have it before I was able to get into a classroom as a volunteer or work with children in any situation.

15. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 16, 2007

You say it was when you were 18, and you are now 26. After 7 years, most misdemeanor charges do not appear on background checks. You can reassure yourself by going to your local police department and asking for a criminal background check. Tell them it is for employment purposes. If they ask for the name of the employer, give them the name of a place where you've applied. Once they print it off, you can see what's on it. If your charge is still there, then you need to work on your explanation. If it's not, yay for you.

I, too, had a couple questionable charges in my early 20s. I found that honesty was the best policy... and had no issues securing both a federal government job and a spot in a top-20 doctoral program. What the admissions / HR people really want to see is that the charge does not reflect on your current character or ability to teach. You want really strong letters of rec., and you should be fine, even if the charge does show up. Also, don't try to make excuses. Admit it, say that it was your fault and you realize it was dumb, but you have grown in xyz ways over the years.

Good luck!

16. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Man, i wish it doiesnt appear on my record anymore! I was applying for a job working with handicapped children and they did background checks. I called the court and they said it was still on there..... Even if it is off my record i would be leery about not mentioning it. Just what i need entering the job market! I sure it will work out SOMEWHERE though. Pray for me =)
    John 3:16

17. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

The thing with Marijuanna...as dumb as this may sound is....who hasnt smoked it? I think lots of people experiment or use for a while or whatever (although I personally have never tried any illegal stuff to be honest). But it such a common thing....I wouldnt be worried about it that much.

18. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Let's put it this way, most law enforcement agencies ask if you have smoked or done any illegal drugs within the past year when you apply with them. I would hope that something you did 7 years ago (and something that I think most of us did when we were younger) wouldn't deter a principal from hiring you.

Just be honest and as many have said here, explain the situation if asked to elaborate on it.

19. maglo

maglo New Member

Oct 23, 2007

Even the hair clip drug test only goes back 120 days.

20. Focussed

Focussed New Member

Oct 24, 2007

Hey there.

I don't know what state you're from but in NJ you can get your record expunged. Find out if that is possible in your state. Try calling an administrator in the superior court for the county that you were charged.

21. ruggergal3

ruggergal3 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

i wouldnt worry too much about it either.. im one of those folks that got a dui when i was 21. i was stupid. im now 25, soon to be 26 and definitely not the person i was when i made my mistake. everyone here looks like they are pretty positive with the exception of the person talking down about duis. i say anyone that says theyve NEVER smoked pot or drove their car after a couple beers is full of BS!! we all experiment with things at a young age. we all come from different backgrounds. and we all have different life experience that make us even better teachers as we do not want young kids to make the same mistakes we have. those types of misdemeanors are those kinds of things that being in "the wrong place at the wrong time" can bring us. many many people get in their car after a couple beers or have smoked pot a couple times in college. we just happened to be the few that get caught.

of course some form of violence and crimes with children are completely intolerable. thats the point of the checks.

i want to become certified and im on my way. my dui has made me ask so many questions, and as it turns out people have told me good news. where i am (ohio), i contacted the dept of education office of professional conduct to ask them about it. they told me i do not even have to disclose in on my app as it is a traffic crime. i also recently got a background check/fingerprints for a part time tutor position. my arrest for dui did not even show up on the report. it said i had no arrest record. and i didnt have it expunged, as ohio does not expunge dui's.

so i would imagine that as a misdemeanor, it probably wont even show up on the check.

keep your head up and remember that many other people have been in this position too!! ;)