I have a confession- I'm miserable at my non-teaching job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2013

I'm miserable and miss teaching. :(

I thought this would be a really neat job. Problem is, I'm so tired of dealing with adults wine/complain/get angry at me for things that are out of my control.

I've only been there, though, since March. But I'm so done. In fact, I'm going to call in "sick" tomorrow.

I'm going to apply to varous jobs in school districts. Nothing's really good out there, though. Mostly teacher aide type jobs. One part time independent studies teacher job. I'm going to apply to any jobs though. I'm miserable with life. I've been trying to keep it together. I've been meeting with my supervisor on a weekly basis. She's been so wonderful and supportive. And that's one reason why I feel so guilty. But I just can't take this anymore.

I hate customer service. I want to be back with the kids!

Thanks for listening. I just had to finally get this off of my chest.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2013

I'm so sorry this job hasn't worked out. I hope you have more success looking for a teaching job. :hugs:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 31, 2013

:hugs:

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 31, 2013

I'm sorry & especially regarding your statement above. I know how you feel. I'm actually not feeling so great about things lately either. I honestly want to get out of the work force altogether & do work from home jobs, which I'm trying to get rolling on. I wish you better days ahead!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2013

Hugs, Peachy. You gave this job a good shot in good faith, and now you're clearer on where you're supposed to be. I think that's progress.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 1, 2013

So sorry to hear this. Many hugs.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2013

:hugs:

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2013

Thanks for listening guys. I feel crummy because I do like my coworkers a lot. They have been amazing. It's the customers... they got me down!!!

Anyways, I took today off and have completed two cover letters jobs I found on edjoin. I'm going to finish the letters up soon and get my application in!

In the meantime, I really need to work on not letting them get to me. I guess after a whole week of the same bs, you just crack, and since I've already been tired this week, I couldn't muster up the energy to deal another day.

I asked about a month ago to go part-time, and they declined it. I then asked to move to another department where I would work soley on the software iteself and while they were receptive of it (! YAY!), the stipulation is that I have to stick with this position for another 6 months. I just can't.... I can't stick out for 6 more months.

ACK! Besides, I wonder if sitting in front of a computer all day is doing me any good. I have severe neck/shoulder issues now that warrants a trip to the massage therapist and physical therapist every other week.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 1, 2013

Aw, Peachy. I'm so sorry. I did customer support for two years with an online software company before this teaching position. Like you, I loved the company and my co-workers. But I don't think customer support for a software product is a long-term position. It really IS wearing. Even my co-workers who hadn't done another career were ready to move on after a year or two. I felt like our department had high turn-over, but my boss told me she only expects people to stay for about 18 months before looking at other departments or companies. I'm going to guess that's why your company wanted you to stick it out another 6 months-they need that time to fill your position (it's hard to find qualified people that WANT to do support), and it's about the time they have in their head before turnover.

So please don't feel like a failure, or that you weren't cut out for support, or that it's because teaching is so much better. It's the nature of a customer support position. We're the last call before the customer gives up on the product, and people rarely call just to say their are over the moon happy with the product.

Now that I've said that, I really needed those two years off from teaching to realize how much I missed it. And I think God needed those two years to get me to a place where I was ready for my current position, and the position was ready for me. So when you feel like you're done (that sounds like now), just take a deep breath and start looking (like you're doing), and know that everything happens in it's own time. If there is a position you are meant to move to, it will present it's self.

I have learned that it is never wise to take a position in desperation, so keeping a level head is best. And meanwhile, I'm here to vent to about the callers. I've heard it all, been cussed out for 10 minutes straight, been on a two hour call for a very simple solution, went over my shift time/missed a hair appointment because I couldn't get a caller to hang up, etc. It wears on you, but I would always just remind myself that I was doing the best I could do, and once I hung up the phone, it was over and I could move on.

HUGS!!!

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 1, 2013

I wish you were in Chicago because I need to find someone to take over my part time Social Studies position.

I hope something comes your way. I think as teachers we are sensitive people and feel badly leaving any job. My friends do not understand that at all. You should not feel bad to do what makes you happy.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2013

Hi Jem!!!

With my position, it actually isn't over... quite. They are my clients until they complete their training. My position is a bit unique in that sense in that I train them on the product. Part of the training involves identifying their business needs and how the software will work with those needs. So, unfortunately, I am their point of contact for all questions.... until they complete training. And when do they complete training? When they are ready.

Anyways, thank you for the tip on not taking a job out of desperation. I'm almost thinking of just subbing for the time being and putting in my two weeks.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2013

Hi Sue! Yes, I am SUPER sensitive. That's what my supervisor and I were talking about yesterday.