I hate my life during last period

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mkat, Nov 23, 2018.

1. mkat

mkat New Member

Nov 23, 2018

I try and I try and I try and yet 4th period might as well be the 9th circle of hell. Sorry for the hyperbole but it's been weighing me down. Students, teachers and admin are all open about how widely hated the subject I teach is...which doesn't help the situation! On top of that it's one of the most challenges subjects (usually lumped in there with math or science in terms of difficulty.) I don't have any extra help in the classroom even though I have 3 students with high functioning autism and 10 other students with various learning disabilities and or attention disorders etc. Many of my students didn't pay attention in previous grades and 'got pushed through the system' and are thus very very behind. Many are grade levels behind from where they should be. Yet, at the same time it is my job to teach the curriculum for that grade...I feel like I'm fighting fires from the start of the period to the end of the period with little to no support and all I feel at the end is frustration and exhaustion. It takes me a good 3 hours to get back to feeling normal again. One of the most frustrating aspects is a student who sits at the back of the class while playing on his technology. He is very explosive and snarky and will snap at me at any point in time if I tell him to put away his technology. He has sworn twice in class in addition to threatening to kill everyone. All he received was a 3 day internal suspension...just for my class. Another element is that the learning resource teacher likes to rub it in my face how she has a great relationship with said student. It's particularly frustrating because she teaches this student in a very small class compared to mine and her subject is non-academic in nature. I too have a great relationship with all my students in first period because the class size is so small and I am able to meet their needs without feeling overwhelmed while forging strong bonds with them. It's hard to form strong bonds when you feel like you're drowning... She openly said "whatever" when she mispronounced a word (but pronunciation is an important part of language! (sorry to be the bearer of bad news.) I understand that my subject may not be this staff member's forte but making mistakes will only confuse the student and scoffing off the mistake is unprofessional. I feel like I'm being trampled on and that no one takes my subject all too seriously. sigh. Any advice...other than wine ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

4th block is hard, no matter the subject. If you get a particular combination of students it can be miserable.

Regarding the resource teacher and difficult student - use her! Next time she rubs it in your face that she has a great relationship, bring her into your situation. Brainstorm with her how you can both make sure said student is successful in every scenario. If she's a resource teacher this is an important part of her job.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

Wouldn't those students with autism need a TA or someone with them?

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 25, 2018

Not necessarily. I've had many, many students with autism in my classes. Close to 100. Only two have had paras with them.

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 25, 2018

Asperger Syndrome is now called autism. So, it is possible while on the spectrum the students aren't so severe that the district would be willing to provide an aide. In our district you have to be horrendously impaired.