I HATE Best Buy's Geek Squad!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2009

I had quite an ordeal dealing w/ the Geek Squad!

Took tower to GS to transfer saved Outlook Express emails onto a CD-ROM. That's all I needed. I it in on a Mon thinking it could be done right then, but told it would tk 4-5 days or less. I said that's fine. Got called on Sat night saying it was ready. The soonest I could get it was the following Mon in which I still had to wait another 30 min in the str because the tech guy still had to "do something". When it was ready, I asked him if we could check it together right then to mk sure it's been fixed correctly. He wouldn't go over it w/ me & said everything was fine.

Went hm, checked it & I didn't see anything, so went right back that day & brought my laptop this time so whatever had to be fixed could be done on my own computer right then. Had to wait another 30 min. Guy still couldn't fix it & I had to pay $99.99 up front on the 1st Mon w/o even knowing if they could fix it (dumb policy!)

He said he did all he could & told me to call Microsoft. I went hm again & Microsoft, as you may or may not know charges $59.99 + tax to fix problems. Thankfully, they were able to fix it, so I had to pay another almost $65.

I called Best Buy to complain because what the guy did wasn't worth $100 since he couldn't ultimately fix.

In the end, the mgr gave me a... $40 gift crd :huh:...said he couldn't actually refund anything.

This isn't the last of this. I'm planning to contact the corp ofc!

(I already had to end up buying a new computer!)

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

Geek Squad is (usually) terrible! My husband has a computer repair business and makes most of his money correcting their mistakes!

BTW, HAPPY BDAY!

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

I agree! Geeksquad is pretty useless. Always go to a local guy - Hell I trust some of the kids i teach more than i would geeksquad. If you have a real IT group at your school ask them if they could work on it. If they dont know they will at least be able to direct you to someone.

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

The next time go to your local high school and ask a computer teacher to recommend a reliable student to fix it. My son is a senior and has fixed many computers because he likes to tinker around with them. He has saved my friends and family members lots of $$$$ and although he doesn't charge anyone anything they often slip him a few bucks.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 16, 2009

Actually, I orginally took my tower to another repair person, who for some reason could transfer everything, EXCEPT the emails! So I paid $210 prior to the GS & Microsoft! :mad: I'll never go to that other repair place again either.

BTW, thanks for the birthday wish!

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

Try searching for it on the webs... really that doesn't sound like a hard problem, you may have to export them and then put them on a cd.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

You're welcome!:celebrate:

9. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 16, 2009

Geek Squad is well known amongst IT professionals for being essentially incompetent. I would advise strongly against ever letting them touch your computer.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

May I suggest Kim Komando http://www.komando.com/ she Has a weekly radio show and has a lot of "How to" pages She just covered Outlook Express email Transfers in the last 2 weeks

and she is an ASU grad. too :D
    :happybday:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2009

MsI-I understand the feeling!! I took my laptop to Geek Squad to get help with pop up windows. The guy said I had a virus and 2 trojans, which would cost $199 to scan and clean them out. DH has a friend that said what they would have done would be just to uninstall Windows and reinstall it. Guess how much Windows cost? $199!!

:happybday:

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jan 16, 2009

Best Buy is pretty much useless---if you're just purchasing something, then fine. But if you have questions or need any technical help (even though they should be able to help you, especially the GS) they are of no use. My good friend used to work there. She told me the department she worked in, she had no idea half of the questions people were asking her and always referred them to someone else. But she said that 90% of the employees there had no idea about details of the department they were in. It's kind of just like asking someone off the street. Not to mention they charge an arm and a leg to fix something, so ya, I would definitely take it to a local shop.

13. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 16, 2009

I think it depends on who is working there. I once went with my boyfriend in college to fix his computer and the geek squad actually told him the part he needed and how to fix it without charging him (the guy was supposed to charge about $50 to do the test and another $100 to put the part in)

HOWEVER, I went back a couple years later and the "geek" who was supposed to be fixing my computer actually broke and burned out one of my parts. His response, "Well, technically I should be charging you since i did look at your equipment, but since I burned it out, you can just take your computer and go free of charge."

GEE, thanks (jerk)

14. teach1983

teach1983 Rookie

Jan 16, 2009

I used to be a Best Buy employee. At some point during my employment I brought my computer to one of my friends (a guy who works for geek squad) because I had somehow obtained spyware! Anyhow, after he was done with it, I could ONLY run it in Safe Mode...ugh. One of the girls in the geek squad took my computer home and FIXED it. The other guy didn't know what to do...

I'm not really a big fan of geek squad myself - prices are too high and SOME of the employees are incompetent.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 17, 2009

Well, Best Buy doesn't have to worry about me spending my money there too much anymore at all. I never really went there that much as it is.

I mean what kind of place charges a high amt up front w/o doing anything yet, then won't refund you when they can't fix it?! :mad:

Now...on to compile my letter to the corporate office. Maybe if I threaten to report them to the BBB, it will get their attn.

Thanks stg & thanks again Dave for the b-day wishes! :)

16. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Jan 17, 2009

I remember checking into the Geek Squad once or twice and finding what they charge to be a bit cumbersome.

Personally, I go with the Nerds On Site folks. They're much more affordable and definitely know what they're doing! I HIGHLY recommend the Nerds On Site folks to anyone having computer issues.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 17, 2009

Ms. I, I would say you aren't alone. http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchr...mit2=Search!&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0
    This is one of the sites where I found information on the accounts that were set up when my id was stolen.
    Where I live there isn't a Best Buy/Geek Squad, etc within any sort of distance. We do have a local computer guy who happens to be friends with my family. He did all sorts of things that I don't even know to my tower, and replaced the motherboard for about $120 (I had to buy the motherboard through Dell, though. They will only allow Dell products on their computer). He even backed up what was on my harddrive to cd because the motherboard was refurbished and he was worried about it lasting.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2009

My brother used to be a geek squad. Im sure he did a really good job though, as he grew up tinkering with computers and is in a really good university for computer programmers. BUT, I do agree with them being useless, I just asked my brother for free help. :D

19. teach1983

teach1983 Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

Ms. I...did you purchase the computer at Best Buy? If so, how long had it been since you purchased it, from the time that you brought it in? Also, [if you did buy it from Best Buy] did you purchase the additional warranty?

If you didn't purchase it there, I'm not sure what to say. Geek Squad handles everything, as far as fixing or sending products off to be fixed.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 17, 2009

No, it's a 5 yr old computer that I purchased directly through Dell & I didn't renew the warranty, so it's been expired.

These days, it really helps to have friends/family who can fix computers...because you know they care & will want to do it right.

21. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 17, 2009

Geek Squad, and Best Buy in general, have the lowest ratings of all big electronics stores/services on any ratings pages. Never deal with them unless you absolutely have to.

PC World this month confirmed it: Best Buy sucks, and the Geek Squad is a joke.

As for fixing your computer: sometimes your best bet is a smart 15-year-old kid. :)