i hate aesop!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by nyteacher85, Sep 21, 2011.

1. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 21, 2011

this is my first year subbing full-time and i absolutely hate aesop! i feel like i'm a prisoner in my home because i can't leave my computer. this is the 11th day of school and i've only worked one half day. i realize it is still so early but i'm ready to work! jobs are very competitive in my district so i feel like i will never be able to leave home if i want to work every day!

3. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Sep 21, 2011

I totally understand! I'm shocked when I read about people who see 10 or 20 jobs on their AESOP. I don't think Jobulator works sometimes either. I have been click click clicking all week...and nothing!

4. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 21, 2011

my district doesn't subscribe to jobulator so i use check for change. it works great but the few jobs that have popped up are gone within 10 seconds! hopefully it starts to pick up soon but i know that in my district the most jobs that are on there at one time would be 2-3.

5. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I hear you on that. I'm looking at my second year of doing it, and, well, we could say that I'm a little less than excited. lol.

6. mlk

mlk New Member

Sep 21, 2011

Hey, just wanted to offer a useful tip I found out with AESOP- Download Mozilla Firefox, and an add-on called "Check4Change" (just google it!). It's a refresh program that alerts you when there are any changes on the AESOP page- I set mine for refreshing every 2 seconds, and that's it! Very useful, and frees me from sitting in front of the computer all day like I did last year, hitting refresh constantly. Hope that helps! Good luck!

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I use Jobulator, Mozilla doesn't work well on my Comp for some reason.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 21, 2011

Too bad Aesop doesn't have an app for phones! Or maybe it does?

9. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 21, 2011

i use check for change and i think it does help, but you still need to be home in order to get the jobs. every job goes in like 10 seconds so i feel like even though i am using it i still need to be nearby.

10. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Sep 21, 2011

I know that this can get tedious, but you can call the Aesop number to check for jobs if you're not at a computer. I did this quite a bit last year, and still do when I don't have access to wifi. Jobulator is supposed to be "going mobile" sometime soon, but I won't pay for it, so I just make sure I check early and check often!

11. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 21, 2011

I've never had a problem getting jobs off of Aesop. I sub in multiple districts which really helps! Two of the districts where I sub use subfinder. It is way harder to get jobs off of subfinder! If you can, I would sign up in more than one district. Sometimes districts can have dry spells for subs. If you are in more than one district, that helps to even it out and get you working everyday.

This will be my third year of subbing and I have been so busy! After I get a job, I put that I am unavailable in the automated systems for the other districts. I still end up having assistant principals call me. Give it some time. You'll start getting busy!

12. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 21, 2011

I just recently found that I could log in to the Aesop site on my phone (through the regular web browser, not an app, but that'd be great!). Maybe people could check for jobs that way? Still annoying but beats sitting at home.

Have you left your phone number for the teacher/s you worked for? In our district most jobs don't get posted because the teachers tend to choose subs they know and assign them as soon as they post the job. If the teacher finds you had a great rapport with their class, maybe they'll call you for future jobs and/or recommend you to others?

Sorry if this post is redundant, maybe this has been done already! Best of luck, I hope the jobs open up soon for everyone!

13. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 22, 2011

My phone is slow but I've started to use it to search for jobs. I've done many leave replacements in my district and am well-known which I thought would be to my advantage. Unfortunately, the teachers and secretaries were told they are no longer able to call or request subs and it has to be done entirely through the website. Some have my number and will call me when they post.

14. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Sep 22, 2011

It's so interesting how different districts use aesop differently! Before the switch to aesop we had the sub finder, where teachers weren't able to request subs. Absences had to be reported over the phone, and the automated system would call the subs in a rotation. When we switched to aesop the novelty was that teachers were able to add an absence and assign the job to the sub of their choice through the website. All they are required to do is call the sub before-hand and confirm that they can take the job before they assign it online. If they don't have a specific sub in mind, they can just enter the job online unassigned, and subs can search for jobs through the site. The teachers love it because they have a say in who's going to be in their classroom (added peace of mind). The subs hate it because there are some that get no jobs and others that get tons.

I thought that all districts had that option. Best of luck!

15. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

Just go to the site with your web browser. Works for me. I did have to install Firefox on my Android, for some reason the default browser wouldn't work for the site.