I gotta get this off my mind!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TrademarkTer, Mar 9, 2018.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Mar 9, 2018

What's your reason for prefering regular cheerios over the honey nut variety? Are you mad?

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Mar 9, 2018

I don't eat breakfast cereal anymore, but I feel you.

4. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Mar 9, 2018

Is it my imagination, or do Aldi's brand cereals taste better than regular brands?

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Mar 9, 2018

I don't have an Aldi by me, but I recently bought some ShopRite brand frosted flakes. They were okay, but more crumbly/small pieces, and oddly harder...I'll stick with Tony in that department.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2018

I'm normally a very frugal shopper, but breakfast cereal is one place where I always buy name brand. The difference between name brand and generic cereals is just too great.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 9, 2018

What do you mean? There are other Cheerios than plain? Nothing beats that cardboard taste!

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2018

You, ma’am, understand me completely. Finally someone who gets it.

9. futuremathsprof

Mar 9, 2018

10. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2018

Hmm...I kinda like the plain ones... The honey nut ones taste a bit like they were all dunked in syrup.

Caesar753 likes this.
  11. futuremathsprof

Mar 9, 2018

Harrumph. I’m judging you. :p

12. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Mar 9, 2018

I like both honey and plain with chopped up banana!

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  13. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 9, 2018

I'm intolerant to honey. I figured out I was intolerant to it in part after eating honeyed cereal. It took some baklava to find out for sure. Good thing I like the plain oat-y taste on yogurt.

14. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Mar 10, 2018

When I was a kid, sometimes an entire Saturday morning TV show was based around a commercial product. One of my favorites was Linus the Lionhearted. Wow, as I write this, the theme song suddenly ran through my head.

Come on and roar, roar, roar, roar
    For Linus the Lionhearted.

Linus was a king in his cartoon episode. I'm recalling I also had a Golden Book with these characters; in the book I remember them finding all the uses for banana peels so they wouldn't just throw them away. I forget what cereal he advertised, but within the program was another cartoon episode with a postman selling (what else?) Post Alphabets. But the coolest character was jazzy Sugar Bear selling what was then called Sugar Crisps.

Cap'n Crunch had a crew of kids. He didn't have a TV show, but many cartoon commercial episodes. They were always battling Jean LaFoote the Barefoot Pirate(according to Wickipedia, a play on the actual pirate Jean LaFitte's name). I sent away for an official Cap'n Crunch stationary set and used it to write my pen pal. Then there was the Sea Dog (his pet dog) coloring contest. I won 2nd place! I received a very nice dog book which I've even used in my classrooms when I became a teacher.

When Lucky Charms arrived on the scene, I remember my Dad asking me if it was cereal or candy, due to the abundance of marshmallows. I replied that it must be cereal, because they said so on TV.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 12, 2018

We probably have 20 boxes of cereal in our house right now. DH usually mixes types of Cheerios. He uses honey nut mostly, but he adds chocolate often. I'm a fan of cereal in general. I had crunchy Raisin Bran for breakfast, and I had Lucky Charms for supper last night.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 12, 2018

I don't buy cereal. Too much sugar and carbs. Eggs are the way to go (but if I did eat cereal I'd take honey nut LOL).

svassillion likes this.
  17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 12, 2018

I don't really eat cereal much anymore, except for the vanilla nut clusters at TJ's and old-fashioned oatmeal at times. I personally don't prefer regular Cheerios over the honey nut type.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Mar 12, 2018

Me too! I eat eggs & fruit for breakfast, but honey nut Cheerios are a guilty pleasure.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Mar 13, 2018

I don't eat breakfast except sometimes on the weekends. The people I know who eat cereal for breakfast are always hungry ALL morning. They graze and eat non stop. They say they don't know why they're always hungry since they had breakfast! When you eat sugar and carbs it won't keep you full. I have given up telling grown adults how to eat and just nod and smile.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 13, 2018

I agree that telling grown adults how to eat isn't productive. So since you aren't going to make a negative generalization about people who eat cereal for breakfast, I'll not make one about how skipping breakfast completely is bad for blood sugar levels. :rolleyes:

21. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

Mar 13, 2018

I have a deal. I'm okay with you telling me how to eat, as long as you're also willing to do my laundry.