I got whiteboards!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissJill, Aug 5, 2011.

1. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

I posted a crazy thread a while back about having dreams about whiteboards....well I guess dreaming works because I got them!

I can't believe this makes me so happy.... :)

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

Yeah! Make sure you avoid the "low odor" kind of markers if you can. According to a rep for Expo that I talked to at a teacher open house, they tend to be harder to erase!

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

The best part is that I will no longer have to use a shower curtain to use my overhead projector LOL.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 5, 2011

Congrats!

6. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I don't get it, but ok.
    Personally I like the overhead better, easier to write and erase on and I don't have to worry about having my back to the students.
    The only thing I like about white boards is the large markers that were introduced with them. I like writing on the overhead with those many colored markers. They erase really easy from an overhead, often not easy from a whiteboard.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I want a whiteboard!! :( I am now totally jealous of you!! I have no whiteboard or chalkboard in the room I am moving into!! :(

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

I'm more confused. I needed a shower curtain cause the chalkboards in my room are a dark brown so I can project onto it without a lighter surface. That's why I used a shower curtain.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

Congrats!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

What is it you don't understand?

Projecting onto a whiteboard doesn't preclude you from writing on the overhead.:whistle:

11. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

Well, I am probably the one who is more confused now. The shower curtain is what I am not getting. There is probably one thing I missed, probably right there in front of me where I can't see it.
    I was probably also supposed to say congratulations. Anyway, I like the opportunity to discuss this.
    I actually probably liked the chalk board better with my many colors of sidewalk chalk that erased easily. I didn't have the dust problem that I heard many use as an excuse for whiteboards.
    I also would like to take the opportunity here to express my dislike of the expensive smart board they got for us. They had smart boards for about half the staff for several years. Last Christmas they got Promethean Boards for the rest of us, but didn't get us the interactive slate - had to write with my back to the students. After 3 months I switched back to the overhead and found it to be much more efficient.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

Miss Jill was using the shower curtain as a 'screen' onto which she was projecting her overhead lessons.

Regardless of whether you are using a chalkboard, whiteboard or technology, a professional educator needs to develop effective strategies for managing class behavior...even when your back is momentarily turned to the class...:2cents:

13. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

You can send me your Smartboard ;)

Congrats on the whiteboards Miss Jill! :D

14. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 6, 2011

Yay for you!

15. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 8, 2011

Sorry for bumping this up after a while.
    I found a picture of the shower curtain. It is not totally up right here because the kids were using the board. You can see the dark boards...

[​IMG]

16. ohteachr

ohteachr Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

Congratulations!

I was told about 6 weeks in last year that I would be getting a whiteboard, as I had no board to teach on. The one chalkboard was in the back of the room, and displayed the mandatory daily information each teacher has to have in their room, which is consistent throughout the school. This left me teaching solely from my computer projector. It was a pain, but it was okay.

This year, I'm waiting to see if I have the same room. If so, and they still haven't given me whiteboards before school starts, I'm making and bringing in my own! Another teacher made hers using tileboard from a lumberyard and, believe it or not, industrial strength Velcro!