I got the job, can I dye my hair?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by maestraraven96, Jul 6, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

I got a job offer today and i am thinking about dying my hair. I have dark brown hair with reddish ends. I want to dye it red, not too bright but a deep red (like you would only really see the color in the sun- not bleached red). Thoughts...

Also, I will be a first year what are some did and don'ts of teaching with style, hair, tattoos, etc.

Thanks!!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2018

That totally depends on the culture of your school. As a new teacher, I’d warn against extremes in anything.

whizkid and bella84 like this.
  4. mamaotter

mamaotter Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

I agree that it depends on your school. That said, I dyed my hair a similar color to yours a couple of weeks ago. After a year of trying to grow out the gray (I don't have much, but it's very visible against my dark brown hair), I was done and went back to the dark red I used to dye it. I got my first job offer today, so it clearly had no impact. I don't have any tattoos, but I'd like to get a couple. However, I plan to make sure they are in easy to cover spots in case I work in a school at some point that doesn't allow them to show.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2018

Can I ask which state you're in? Many (most?) districts in CA are relatively laid back in terms of attire and hair: teachers wear jeans pretty much 5 days/week. My school has a teacher who has (bleached) blonde hair with blue highlights.

6. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

@YoungTeacherGuy: I am in Chicago.
    My student teaching was way different, we had to wear business casual every day but Friday which was hard, I had to buy a whole new wardrobe.

7. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

I have a tattoo but on my back shoulder so it's hidden, but I do want more...

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 7, 2018

We had a teacher with purple hair once. I'm in NJ. I feel like a red wouldn't be too crazy if it looks reasonably natural.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 7, 2018

As far as clothing style goes, stick with the business casual you had in student teaching, or perhaps just a step above that at least for the first few months. It’s safer to be better dressed than underdressed.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 7, 2018

I think you’d be fine in Chicago. It’s a pretty liberal city. If you’re actually in CPS, I’ve been told that the union contract states that administrators cannot implement a dress code of any sort. I’ve never researched to see if that’s true or not, though. Either way, I don’t think you’d have a problem with deep red hair as long as you look clean and put together.

maestraraven96 likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2018

Here, it would be a non-issue, but you need to know the culture of your school and district.

12. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 7, 2018

If it’s the color I’m thinking of (almost like a black cherry sort of color?) it should be natural enough for it to be a non issue, no matter where you are.

13. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Jul 12, 2018

My mentor teacher has/had green hair and tattoo sleeves down her arms. She teaches kindergarten at one of the most helicopter parent schools in the district and it's not an issue. That said, I doubt she went in her first year like that.
    Depending on when school starts for you, I think you can do something like that and see how you like it before deciding if it's appropriate for the environment. If it's too much, you may still have a few weeks to let it fade and color it a less noticeable color.
    I really want to do my ends in purple, but since I'm interviewing, I'm not daring to be so daring.

14. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 13, 2018

I live in an extremely conservative area in an extremely conservative school.
    Nobody cares here. Just make sure you are well groomed and dressed professionally.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 13, 2018

That sounds like a pretty natural color. I'd go for it.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 13, 2018

It's probably no big deal, but I'd wait until you at least get a couple of months into the school year to figure out the culture of your school. You'd hate to start with a strike against you, and waiting a few months really isn't a big deal.

17. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 13, 2018

If you are talking about the bright red that salons feature, along with teal, violet, bright blue etc., you may want to hold off and get the lay of the land before proceeding. Like it or not, we are often considered by our appearance. It is funny to me that we always ask to be considered and treated as professionals, but we want to dress in a way the belies that fact. I think the age of the students you will be teaching has some bearing on your choice. Generally speaking, if you yourself pause and ask the question, you can safely say it is not a good idea. (Just an opinion).

18. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jul 13, 2018

Why do Californians always tell us what happens there? Lol.