I got an interview :)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Linguist92021, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

Finally after applying to 4 jobs in the past 2 months I got an interview! The P called me today, have it set up for Wednesday. He seemed like a very down to earth person, I had an awesome conversation with him on the phone.

I would love this job! I'm the type of person, that I only apply for a job if I would absolutely love it; I can't send out random applications. This is a school that serves at-risk youth, they're not locked up, but they do live there, and most of them referred through the judicial system, so I think it's about the same thing. Before I applied I checked out everything and I was very impressed with their program. So I feel really good about this.

It's faaaar. I should say it's in a "galaxy far, far away".
    Driving distance from here is about 9 hours (so I'm not sure if I'll fly or drive and stay over for the interview). And it's out in the nowhere. I have a feeling not a lot of people want to go out there because the P was telling all the great things about the school, as if he was trying to sell me on it :)

So question: I don't have a portfolio, and they have all the documents they asked for from my application. What should I bring?
    I was thinking copies of everything just in case, a sample lesson plan, and a print out of my educational philosophy.

Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

3. redtop

redtop Companion

Feb 1, 2013

A few travel tips.

If you fly, make sure not to be on the last flight of the day, try to have some contingency plans if your flight is badly delayed or cancelled. If the weather at the destination is hopeless they might be closed, but if it's bad where you are or where you connect, it can be bright and sunny there and you still can't get there.

If you drive, I always rent cars for long drives like that rather than putting 1000 miles of wear and tear on my car. You can sometimes get some great rental car deals on Hotwire. I'm not saying this is common, but a few weeks ago I got a midsize for $12 a day including all taxes with unlimited mileage. Heck, you'll probably need to rent a car when you get there anyway. Check out Hotwire and Priceline for hotels too.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for the tips! I definitely don't have experience with this kind of travelling.

So far this is what I'm thinking:
    I think flying is better because a roundtrip ticket is about $250, although I haven't checked everywhere, so maybe I can get a better deal. (although I thought I could get something under $200)
    It seems that there are 1 or 2 flights in the morning only, I would take the early morning one, and then take an afternoon one back.

If I was driving I would definitely rent a car, I wouldn't trust mine. But because it's about 8 hours away I would have to drive up, rent a hotel room and drive back the next day, I think financially it would be about the same as flying (gas can really add up, too) . Even considering that I have to rent a car up there.

So so far I'm thinking I'll fly. I checked the weather, it's pretty much the same as it is here.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2013

Linguist, I'm thrilled for you! That's quite a commute - but one surmises that you've located your niche.

As for what you're planning to take, sounds good.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

I'm sooooo stoked for you, Linguist! Is the job here in CA?

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

Thank you TG and YTG :)
    The job itself is actually in Nevada (it's so far that you actually have to cross state lines, just a little) but it's ran by a California county office, so they need California credential and I don't have to transfer anything. I didn't want to be employed in another state, it's bad enough that if I get the job I'll have to get new driver's license, car registration, etc. A lot of hassle, but oh well.

One of the teacher's at the school today said she heard about that program. She said one of her ex-boyfriends graduated from there. He's now a doctor :) Must be a great program !

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Probably a naive question, but could you still live in CA where it's close to the border? That way you wouldn't have to go through all that work? Or is there no city close enough in CA?

And, congrats on the interview!! In this day and age, just getting an interview deems a celebration. :rolleyes:

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

It would be too far. I would have to drive over an hour (maybe an hour and a half) just one way and the place would be out in the nowhere. So it woudn't be worth it.

This way I can live in a fair size city and drive maybe 30-40 minutes. I could live in the same town, and then I would be very close, but I don't think I would do well in a town with only 3000 people.

This is probably a weird question - and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong- could I keep everything California, if I get a PO box on the California side and I'd be employed by California? Or it has to be the physical address?

10. TeacherGroupie

Feb 2, 2013

You might want to check, but if memory serves, Nevada does not levy state income tax.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

Interesting. Nevada has no income tax, but wouldn't I pay California state income tax? I really don't know anything about this.

12. TeacherGroupie

Feb 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure you can't be liable for tax on exactly the same income to two different states at the same time... and it seems to me that tax is assessed based on one's official domicile, not on where the job is located. I'm pretty sure that a resident of Moorhead, MN who works across the river in Fargo, ND is paying Minnesota taxes, not Fargo taxes. I'm also pretty sure that someone who leaves her family behind in Moorhead while she works in Corpus Christi, TX is going to be paying Minnesota state taxes, not Texas taxes - though this would be a very good question to put to a tax accountant.

13. redtop

redtop Companion

Feb 2, 2013

There is a newsgroup, misc.taxes.moderated, where you could put the tax question. I personally don't see much reason to live in CA if you work in NV.

Reregistering your car, DL, voting, takes an afternoon. No biggie.

For me, 9 hours is over the threshold of what's worth drivng, for me it's about 6-7. But yes, if you fly, you have to rent a car and a hotel. Again, check Hotwire and Priceline. I usually pay $70 at most for 3-star hotels, and you probably don't need that. Don't drive if you're going to be shagged out after the trip.

Of course you could always look for a profession where employers pay the interview expenses ;)

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

It can be complicated...many in my area live in NJ and work in NYC..

Heres's a scenario of a couple who live in NJ, husband works in Manhattan

".The basic answer is that you will not be “double-taxed”. You will receive a credit on the NJ return for the state income tax you pay to NY on your husband’s wages. However, as with anything involving taxes, it ain’t quite that simple.

If you live in one state (New Jersey) and work in another (New York) you must first pay state income tax to the state in which you work (New York) on the wages earned in that state. The non-resident state (New York) will not directly (see below) tax you on your other income (i.e. NJ wages and self-employment earnings, interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.).

The state where you live (New Jersey) will tax you on all of your taxable income from all sources, including wages earned in another state (New York). Your resident state (New Jersey) will allow you to claim a credit for any non-resident state income tax paid to another state (New York) on income taxed by both states.

Your husband will have New York state income tax withheld from his wages. He will probably not have New Jersey state income tax withheld.

He will have to file a New York State Form IT-203 – Nonresident and Part Year Resident Income Tax Return. The way this works is that first you calculate the NY state income tax liability as if you were a full-year NY resident – reporting all income for the year that is taxable to a NY resident and claiming all deductions for the year allowed for a NY resident. You then divide your New York State Adjusted Gross Income from New York State sources (in this case the wages earned from your husband’s employment in NY) by your New York State Adjusted Gross Income from all sources (as if you were a full-year resident) – and multiply the result by the NY state income tax liability you had initially calculated as if you were a full-year resident."

http://wanderingtaxpro.blogspot.com/2007/10/ask-tax-pro-state-taxes-for-nj-resident.html?m=1

I'm sure tax laws vary geographically...best to consult an expert.;)

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Fanatic

Feb 2, 2013

Good luck!! I applied to a similar school but did not go on the interview because I realized it was too far away. The pay was too low to consider such a commute. It does seem like an interesting place to work and requires a special person. Sounds like you're it!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Well congratulations on landing the interview. I wish you best of luck!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

Congrats on the interview and good luck!!

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

Thank you guys :)
    Wow, all this tax thing is very complicated. I don't understand most of it, I think it's too early and I need coffee. But the bottom line is that if I do get this job, I would be living in one state and work for another. No husband though, only 1 income :)

I think Im going to rent a car and drive. I talked to my mom last night and after we analyzed the situation I think driving is better. I would spend about the same money (or less) and I would have more felxibility with time, not having to make sure I catch the plane, return the rental car, etc.

I can drive up on Tuesday after work, (get there late), have most of the day Wednesday for the interview and if it goes well, look around, etc. My daughter can stay with a friend from school, so that is not a problem.

I always hear that we must research the school for a good interview. This school / program definitely has a lot of info on it out there, so I feel really good about that. I know exactly what their focus is, what they were trying to improve, the things they're proud of, how I can fit in, and how I can contribute.
    I always wondered how to do that with 'regular' schools, they're not that unique (compared to this) and there isn't that much to go on. At least that's what I think.

19. HeartDrama

HeartDrama Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2013

I'm so excited for you Linguist, that's awesome!

As far as taxes are concerned, if you can get out of California, go as fast as you can. We're among the highest taxed states in the nation, you'll probably see a nice increase in your take home pay if you get this job.

Congratulations!

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

Depending on which part of NV this place is located in, there might not be anyplace nearby to live in NV. Most of the state, like 90%, is rural desert. The closest livable city may well be in CA.

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Good luck! :)