I got a job!! Now how in the world do I go about setting up my classroom....?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher14, Jun 16, 2015.

1. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 16, 2015

Hi Teachers!

I just got a job offer to teach 3rd grade!! I am going to meet with the principal and visit the school this week. I'm not sure if I'll get my keys/get to see my room yet.

I am so excited but now I'm feeling stressed about how to set up my classroom. Being a new teacher, I don't have a ton of money to spend but I still want to make my room feel super inviting and warm. I'm in the process of searching Pinterest and teacher blogs to get ideas but it is very overwhelming! Does anyone have any suggestions/advice for 3rd grade?

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 16, 2015

Congratulations:2up::2up:
    Start off with the basics. My district give us a stipend to buy what we need. It can be anything from decorations to a stapler. Find out if you district or school has money for you to get things for your classroom. Target's dollar spot, Dollar Tree, and and even Dollar General has great, cheap products for the classroom. Pinterest is great, but you can also look at some blogs and reach out to your new coworkers for some ideas. Good luck on you up coming year!

4. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 17, 2015

I was in the same boat last year. I didn't know what I was teaching, either, which made things difficult (as far as subjects).

With that being said, I would focus on the things you're going to need to do regardless of anything else.
    -Baskets for supplies
    -Make or buy your labels
    -Start getting your decorative stuff (if you are going to have it)
    -You can be thinking about your classroom management style and getting things ready for that
    -Mostly, I did the crafty stuff and the stuff I could make at home first, at least until I got into my classroom.

Congratulations on your position!

5. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 18, 2015

congrats!

Don't forget you're room may have had a teacher in it last year who left a lot behind (bought with Title funding, etc) so that will get you going.

I'd pick a theme/color scheme first & go from there - then search that theme on Pinterest. I know what you mean about overwhelming. I have 28k pins on there almost all teaching related! :dizzy::whistle:

You can get great bins @ Dollar Tree -but shop early before all the other teachers. You'll need a little library to get started - hit Goodwill for great deals.

You'll need to make you're discipline plan, if it's a chart to hang on the wall - but you might need to wait until you hear if they school has a school wide program that they require you to use (my dd school does)

6. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

oh congrats, now I see your other post! So do you make something for your interview? Hard to say what will be in the class, my last class was nearly cleared out when I left. Scholastic has warehouse sales frequently for 50% off books which will help build your library. Really good stuff (online) has awesome organizers.

7. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

@ahodge79 I actually didn't get an offer from the interview I posted about before! This is a different district, but honestly I am considering declining the offer because I don't feel like it is the right fit for me. I am so sad to say this but I feel like I would be happier subbing in a different district! I have a few more interviews so I am hoping that I am able to find a school that will be the right fit for me.

8. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

that's great you have several interviews lined up & you can choose! I need to get your expertise in how to get an interview - anywhere! I've applied for 200+ jobs in 2 yrs with only 1 interview!!!

9. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

@luv2teach444 I had an interview with the nicest principal yesterday (didn't get the job because they decided to choose the candidate with more experience) and afterwards he called me and told me out of 200 applicants the only reason I got an interview was because I had an online portfolio. I spent weeks on it but it is turning out to be worth the work : )

10. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 20, 2015

You should go for what you really want before you get locked in somewhere you don't really like.

So what site do you use for the portfolio and how do you market it? What did you include? Are you in orange county? I've only gotten two interviews so far and I have a good amount of experience and education, you are doing great!

11. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jun 20, 2015

@ahodge79 I used Weebly for my portfolio. I put the link to it in my cover letter and in my resume. It seems to be very useful in getting interviews!

12. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 24, 2015

The teacher before me left a lot in my classroom. Get the basics, like markers, pencils, bulletin board stuff, classroom management, bins, etc. Make a supply list for the kids and get chart paper from your school (most have).