I FINALLY made the next step.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LMath85, Aug 5, 2008.

1. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I too am enrolled with Walden :). I am in the MS Integrating Technology in the Classroom program. I start October 27th...I didn't want to be stressed right away at the beginning of the year, so I opted for the later start date. Anyway, good luck!

I think we have some of the same core classes that we start with. We could have an online study group ;).

2. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

Yay!!!Congrats!

3. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I was going to do Technology, but I just wanted to be safe & stay with my Math. The state said that I was waived from having to complete 12 credits in Math(bc my college recommended me for my certificate) in order to keep my license but i'd rather be safe then sorry. no big deal - i'll be a math teacher forever.

Maybe later on down the road i'll do administration... but for now I love being a math teacher

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I considered Technology as well, but I have heard so many good things about the Literacy and Learning program from other teachers in my district I decided to go with that, which suits me since I teach Language Arts. Hopefully, I can help teachers in other content areas. They are always asking for ideas. I admire math teachers...I am terrible at math. I have no gift for it at all. :huh:

5. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I can attest to a pay bump having a Master's degree -- but watch for the dangers of the current hiring climate; if you're not already employed, you may become less employable due to that salary bump!

As for a doctorate, though, I don't think it's worth it unless you're going for an administraton or research job (or as a personal goal after you retire, etc). Too much time and money for not enough return if you're still a schoolteacher.

6. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

I was already warned this on my first day of my first year of teaching by a veteran teacher. So i took his advice and mid-May I went on an interview & got the job at a school by my house. If anything...I'd be happy to stay here til I retire. Its a great school & the kids are much nicer than where I'm coming from - so I'm not worried.. plus in NYS you HAVE to get your Master's.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Great work! You're on your way!

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Congrats! :) I will be finishing my Master's after 2 more classes...they are the big ones (thesis)! Eeek! Very exciting though! :)