I don't want to teach anymore

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Flanny108, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Aug 30, 2014

After a leave of absence I have returned to the classroom this year. I know it's only been a week of school, but I hate it. I really do. I have to work so much harder this year than any year previously. (17 years). The principal is a lovely woman, but just seems a bit overwhelmed. She is on the announcements constantly, we can only access the supply room quarterly, We have behavior incentives ALL over the place. The kids get rewarded even if they have had their clip moved down on the chart. They have different reward systems in lunch, and 2 of their specials.
    The school is new...and enormous! 700 kids! It's crazy! It takes about 5 minutes to get anywhere from our classroom, just because of the distance we need to travel. There is not enough time allotted in my schedule to teach the time that I am expected. For instance recess ends at the same time math is supposed to begin.

I am just rambling here. I'm not going to quit, because I actually love teaching. I am just so overwhelmed. :dizzy:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2014

Either outright quit and be done or float your resume. Your students deserve a teacher who can deal with the demands of your current administration.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

I think we've all had times where we've needed to vent about our jobs. That doesn't mean that we don't love them or can't deal with the difficulties that might arise.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2014

Venting is fine...name it...kids deserve teachers who want to be there thick or thin.:unsure:

6. Flanny108

Flanny108 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

I'm not even going to bother with you or your nasty responses on my posts. I had an awful day followed by and awful week. Thanks for making me feel even worse.

My students get my best every day. And I have happily been able to work with some very challenging administrators. I work constantly to become a better teacher. The parents who have children in my class are always happy that there child has had me.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2014

Having dealt with challenging admins before should help you get thru this current stress...if in fact you want to continue teaching. That's your decision to make. No one should be so stressed out as a teacher that they want to leave the profession...it's just not good for anyone. I hope it gets better for you and your students..Good luck to you.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Aug 31, 2014

I think it is really difficult to return after a leave of absence. That is one challenge. Also, realize the things you are describing are very annoying, but they are probably not the large items of why you went into teaching. I had a P who was reward crazy like yours, and it bothered me a lot the first 3 weeks of that year. After that I realized I have far more control over what I do in my classroom and how I teach and inspire children than she does.

With the challenges you face, stick to spending some time with some positive teachers who bring you up. I'd try to avoid the chaos and annoying problems. Also, see if there is something that you can look forward to each week with your students where you can "escape the madness". Hang in there...I believe these annoying things will appear smaller and smaller in time.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2014

The final paragraph of Flanny108's opening post is "I am just rambling here. I'm not going to quit, because I actually love teaching. I am just so overwhelmed. :dizzy:" In other words, this thread is a vent; concluding that Flanny must either quit or seek work elsewhere is, at best, premature.

10. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 31, 2014

(((HUGS))) Hang in there.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Hang in there! When I was in the classroom I always found the first several weeks challenging. Things like the schedule not working right, everyone trying to use the bathroom at the same time, trying to get the kids' behavior on track. Ugh.

Enjoy the long weekend and know that it will get better.

12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Here's hoping you are able to go back in after the long weekend feeling rested and rejuvenated. Sometimes a break is a huge help. Good luck.

13. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Sep 1, 2014

I understand how you feel. I have had the back to school blues every year. Change is hard. I often wonder what it would be like if things didn't change every single year. Every year we have major changes. For example, last year we worked 8-3:30. The kids were with us from 8:15 -1:30. This year we work 9-4:30 and the kids are with us from 9:20-3:45.

14. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

I would say give it your best this year and if by the end of the year you are feeling like you do not want to do this anymore I would think seriously about other avenues during your summer break.

Sometimes it just takes awhile to get back into the swing of things and not feel so overwhelmed. That can be a couple of weeks for some or if you are like me a couple of months. Returning after a long absence can be difficult adjusting. Best of luck to you.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

This year is a tough one for me too. Hang in there. I hope (and am sure) that things will improve.

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2014

I just wanted to say, Hang in there! I understand! I'm praying this will cycle around for you and you'll have conditions where you can enjoy teaching again. I hope you'll experience joy that comes from helping kids!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 2, 2014

That's a lot of changes to deal with. Feeling off your game makes sense. Give yourself time to build your new routine. I am having an amazing year, with awesome kids. Still, with changes and other things going on, I still have moments of extreme frustration. Sometimes you just have to vent, it's ok, no matter what others may say. Good luck!

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 2, 2014

Disagree

I really disagree with the sentiment that "the kids deserve someone who wants to be there thick and thin" and also with this culture of teacher-shaming.

You are not a saint. In fact, if you are a teacher, I hope you are reasonable enough to understand the problems in your current school. I think it is good that you are critical and can identify areas that need improvement in your school. This is because you have experience. And, in fact, if your kids deserve anything at all, it is a teacher with experience.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 2, 2014

I agree with this exactly. I do the best I can for my students, but when it becomes too much for me, I back off a bit. When I need a break, I take one. I am human, I am not a superhero, or a machine, or an angel. I am a teacher. I am also a wife, and aunt, a graduate student, a friend, a drama club sponsor, and many other things. I am not willing to allow those things to become too far out of balance.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 2, 2014

To be honest, I just hate the first week. We went back today, and I didn't really even have fun. It's just a lot of me talking and them listening.

You'll figure it out, though. Scheduling is such a headache, but it always works out eventually. Last year I had so many kids in SPED that my schedule was changing almost weekly. It drove me nuts, but I made it work.

Hang in there! :)

21. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

:eek: :wow:

I can totally relate to where the OP is coming from. For every perfect teacher I guess there are about 5000 of us imperfect ones. ;)