I can't pass the VRA ( virginia reading assessment) HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by teacher girl, May 2, 2010.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

May 2, 2010

hi,

I am trying to become a special education teacher/ elementary school teacher. I passed the VCLA the first time I took it. but I have taken the VRA 4 times and failed it- is that normal? I feel very dumb, however, I was wondering if the test was difficult to other people, if not how did you study for the test? How many times did you fail it? what study material did you use?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

In your other post, you ask about what section of the Praxis is most easy to pass and now you are having difficulty passing this test. What is your educational background? Did your teacher prep program not prepare you well for these tests? You may want to get some study materials and 'brush up' before re-taking the test. I'm not sure about the VRA, but on some other assessments, they average the scores if you take a test many times so it's difficult to overcome multiple failures.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2010

I doubt VRA averages over multiple attempts. But threads on other states' reading-instruction tests, notably California's RICA, may be helpful.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

OK, found this:
    An individual may retake any VCLA subtest or VRA test as many times as necessary until a passing score or passing status is achieved. The highest score earned on a VCLA subtest will be used to determine the total test score, regardless of when earned.

There are test blueprints, study guides and sample tests available at:

http://www.va.nesinc.com/index.asp

6. TYPHANI

TYPHANI New Member

Jun 25, 2010

Sorry to hear about your testing results. If it makes you feel any better, I have taken it 3 times as well. I will be taking it again next month. I have been studying the flashcards for the past couple of days, so I hope that this will help. I didnt study the 1st time I took the test and received a higher score than I did with studying the last 2 times. Good Luck to you and believe me there are many more who are in our position. Blessings!!!!!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2010

Make sure you have the technical terminology in reading down cold. Try Googling "reading glossary": that should bring up some useful Web sites.

8. VA_Tchr

VA_Tchr New Member

Jun 28, 2010

I found a couple resources. I can't post links b/c I'm new but if you google the following key words, you might be able to find them.

"Vocabulary quiz, Virginia reading assessment". You'll get some links to practice quizzes, some by Quia, which I use in my classroom to practice for SOLs. Helpful for brushing up on terminology.

I have also heard some horror stories about the VRA. I just took my VCLA today and though I didn't do as well as I thought I should have, I still passed (unofficially). I have a couple years of teaching experience under my belt and think that this might help me out a bit on the VRA test when I take it, but I'm a REALLY bad test taker. It really is what the test-makers want you to put, and not what you necessarily think. I over analyze and use "if" too much when I try to eliminate the last wrong answer.

I wish you all luck on your next attempts. Please put any other tips you can on this page! After reading your thoughts, I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into with this test *sobs*.

9. 2bteachn

2bteachn Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Va Tchr, like u had teaching experience by me when I took the VRA and I still did not pass it. I have taken the VRA about 5 time and will be taken it agian this month and by the grace of God I will be taking it for the last time.

For Teacher girl and Typhani there is a VRA study guide out that you can get a Barns and Noble for about 60$. Howere it might be better to go online and order it because I think there are two different books. I hope this helps and Teacher girl no you are not dumb, this test is just that hard. God Bless

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I take it this weekend for the first time. You guys are scaring me. I have not studied at all.

11. 2bteachn

2bteachn Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

What ever you do, do not go in there scared.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

I won't!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2010

Study up on the vocabulary of teaching reading, people...

14. VABeach

VABeach New Member

Jul 9, 2010

I'm taking it this weekend as well, VANewbie, so I feel your terror. :p I flew through the other exams, but this is my last one and the only one I'm actually nervous about.

I've never taken any education courses, so this is all a bit new to me, but I've just been studying straight out of "teaching children to read" books from the library and studying the vocabulary like mad. I'll cross my fingers for both of us!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

I just looked at the sample test for this. It looks exactly like the EOG kids take here, just with more difficult passages. Exact same question stems.

17. VABeach

VABeach New Member

Jul 9, 2010

Are you sure you weren't looking at the VCLA? The VRA doesn't have passages... just multiple choice questions about things like the definition of phonological awareness and the use of decodable texts in the classroom and then a few essay questions. I'm not sure I can buy that kids are being tested on how to teach other kids how to read. :)

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 9, 2010

Yes, I was looking at the wrong one then.

19. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

Good luck to those of you taking the VRA! I (thankfully) passed on the first try, but it was a tough exam! The multiple choice saved me since I bombed most of the essay questions-- in my own defense, I hadn't seen that material in 2 years. (I was relocating to another state after 1.5 years of an unsuccessful job search.)

Definitely brush up on strategies for teaching reading to students and on all of the vocabulary!!

20. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

I read on the VRA website that they use the passing score, the last time you take it.

I purchased a study guide for 39.95. Search VRA study guides, and see what you come up with. I think it was published by mometrix media. I passed the first time, although I've been teaching for nine years and have experience in the classroom. Best of luck to you!

21. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

I thought that on many questions, there were more than one answer that could be right. So, I had to choose and decide. Brush up on your test taking skills in general, too, as well as the reading strategies and knowledge you've obtained. I reviewed the practice questions on the VRA website and especially the essay section answers. Practice those. I am usually a very good writer under pressure, so that may be why I passed. I just took a peek at my unofficial score and need to see more details when it comes in the mail but was very happy to have passed the first time. Hope this helps!