I Can't Get My Work Done Because I'm Not Allowed To Be In The Building

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2018

I have tried numerous phone numbers for certain kids and I have even asked our social worker for alternate phone numbers. I'm sure some parents will answer and some will not. I am well aware that we are salaried and I probably work about 15 hours days right now. I just prefer to work at home rather than stay at school. My friend is a first year teacher in my school and she takes no work home but arrives at 6 and leaves at 6:30-7. Anyways, I'm not complaining that they want us to call from school but I just wish there was another way to get in touch with parents!! Sorry to derail the thread.

2. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 15, 2018

I would ask your social worker about the process. Where I am if we can't get a hold of a parent we call child services. I work with older students so I often ask the kids for their parents' cell number if we are having a problem. But ultimately if they have no workable number and we've tried a number of avenues to get one, they are not meeting their required obligations as a parent.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 15, 2018

I call maybe one parent a year. Most issues can be handled via email much more quickly and efficiently.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2018

I wish. :( I've emailed 10 parents with no responses.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 15, 2018

That's evidence that you've tried.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 15, 2018

We have keys, a key fob, and our own security code for our building. We can access it pretty much 24/7/365. Sometimes we may not be able to access our actual room, but we could use another area. Our contract hours are 7:30-3:10. There's always at least one custodian there between the hours of 6:30am-11pm, so even after being there for years, I've still never had to use my security code.

7. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Sep 16, 2018

My first school was like that and it was awful. The principal had young kids and was gone by 4. The custodian would kick us out by 4:30/4:45.

As a 1st year teacher I really needed that time at school with school resources like the copier, multiple textbooks and resources, school printer, school internet (at the time my home internet was still dial-up). It is not ok to force teachers to have to use their own resources like their own printer or laptop because they're getting kicked out of the building.

After a few years a very vocal teacher transferred to our school and we were given the alarm code. I still never used it because I heard many stories of teachers deactivating it wrong, which triggered an automatic call to the police.

When I transferred I was blown away when I was given keys to the building.

I hope a veteran teacher would be willing to approach the principal soon.