I Can't Get My Work Done Because I'm Not Allowed To Be In The Building

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistoryTeach4, Sep 13, 2018.

1. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Sep 13, 2018

Only two people have keys to our building and the alarm code...the principal and the custodian. We can not get in to the building until one of them shows up to let us in. We have to leave the building when the last of one of those two people want to leave (usually 3:45; out students are dismissed and out of the building by 3:00 as an FYI). I am not opposed to taking work home, however, there are some things that I am unable to do at home. This is going to sound dramatic, but it is true...I came home today and cried because I have so much do, but am unable to do it (we had to leave at 3:15 today because the one with the keys needed to leave). I am at a loss of how to get everything done.

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Sep 13, 2018

What sort of work do you need to do in the building? I would take home things like grading, planning and make copies, set up your whiteboard, etc. during your prep and right after school.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2018

You may need to prioritize your list of things that can be finished at school and just leave everything else. When questioned about the tasks that can't be completed, you can honestly say that if you can't get in the building, so you can't do those tasks.
    Sort of like what happens when teachers work to the contract during negotiations.

...That's provided you feel comfortable standing up to administration.

5. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Sep 13, 2018

I usually do bring my grading home. I use the SmartBoard a lot and am unable to get that software on my personal computer so I need to do that at work. The reading program I teacher requires a new lesson plan everyday and has a lot of reference books you need to use to create those lesson plans. I usually end up spending my prep working on that. I can usually get the next day set up at the end of the day. There is only so much I can carry home a night.

6. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Sep 13, 2018

I have no problem standing up to administration. Many of us have brought this to their attention before and were told that it is what it is and you have to figure out how to get everything done. I guess I am just frustrated that they pile all these things they want you to do and don't give you the time to do it. Its also frustrating that at our Elementary School the teachers can come and go as they please.

7. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Sep 13, 2018

Well, like your administration says, it is what it is. Some suggestions: Does the reading program or the books you need have an online version you can access? Have you thought about taking one of those days after school and scanning the materials you need into a document so you can access them at will. (It may take several days, but then you'll have it). As for Smartboard software, don't use it. Plan other activities that don't require the software. I had the software for a year or so for my board, and I never actually used it--I found ways to do what I wanted more simply that didn't require me to use the software. Does the reading program have ready made lessons that you can tweek? I know that may not be ideal, but it may help solve some of the problems. Does anyone else teach that same program? Could you work together to create communal lessons, maybe trade off, or work on parts so everyone has less work?

Ideally, we all should be allowed to work when we want, but if it doesn't work out that way, then we need to find solutions.

8. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Sep 13, 2018

Unfortunately the reading lesson plans need to be tailored to the student you are working with. It would take several weeks to scan everything. It is just going to be it is what it is and if things don't get done they don't get done.

9. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 13, 2018

Have you asked IT about installing SMART Notebook on your personal computer? I was able to have our IT department do this for me and for one of my student teachers several years. ago. It doesn't hurt to at least ask.

a2z likes this.
  10. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 13, 2018

First, this is pretty unique. I have almost always had access to my classroom 24/7 at any school I have taught at--public or private--wealthy suburb or inner city. Access to school office is another story and that is understandable.

Could you go in early? That might allow you to get your work done that must be done at school. If not, then I would kindly discuss it with the principal. Maybe there is a day that she stays a bit later. I have never known a principal to be out the door by 3:45 all the days of the week.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Sep 13, 2018

I read your other responses a bit closer. Sounds like admin is no help. Maybe you could get a bit more specific in a really nice way. Let her know that you want to get A,B,C, and D done at school and it seems to take ___ hours, but you only have ___ hours to do this at school. Ask what she suggests. If you throw the problem back on her, she might see there is no solution to the problem. This might mean the problem is coming from higher up. Getting a large group of you together might be helpful too. I feel for you. I would be upset too.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Sep 13, 2018

I always thought it was funny that they trust the custodians with keys to the building, but not the teachers....

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 13, 2018

I agree that this is ridiculous, but the positive side of it is your administrators are not expecting you to be there 24/7.
    This statement might not be coming from an ideal circumstance, but as I've been teaching I've really tried to streamline what I do to be manageable in a 8 hour work day. Look for ways to cut corners where you can. Do only what needs to be done, and the rest will be waiting for you tomorrow.

While I'd find ways to "make it work", I'd still be unhappy about the fact that my school didn't trust me with keys.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 14, 2018

We now have electronic keys that are used with our ID badges so anyone with a badge can get in the building but it is recorded who enters the building (which is fine by me since I don't mind them knowing I go in on the weekends to do EXTRA work)! I think I would have a problem not being able to stay late or come in early when needed. Do you have a laptop you can bring in and have them install the software on?

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 14, 2018

I've never worked in a building where teachers have keys. The custodians and admin are the only ones with access to the building and security codes. Our custodians open the school at 5:00am and lock up sometime after 9:30pm, so we usually have pretty free access.

16. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Sep 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

I would go in early if that was an option, but again when only two people have keys, you have to wait for them to get there to be let in. They usually don't get until sometime between 7:30 and 7:45 (contract start time if 7:45). I have been making to do lists of what is most important and what is not. I am also keeping a log of when I am allowed to get in the building and when I am forced out. I am not the only one who is having an issue with this. We are trying to figure out the best person to talk to about this to see what can be done.

17. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM

In every building I have worked in, anyone who wants a key can have it. The only exception is the summer. The building is off limits for part of the summer while cleaning is being done. This happened because some teachers were too "forward" when they came in. When I came in during the summer I'd find the custodian and ask if I could access my room. If he said, no Always_Learning the floors are being waxed in your hall this week, I can let you in the library or you can come back next week I'd either go to the library or, if it was something I couldn't do anywhere but my classroom, I'd say no worries I'll check back next week. Some teachers wouldn't do this and would demand access to their rooms. So the District said no more teachers in during the summer at risk of formal discipline.

Do you know why you can't get a key? If the elementary school allows it, it doesn't sound like a District policy? (I know some Districts won't let teachers in during off hours because of liability).

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:48 PM

I think the positive is that your school does not expect you to stay super late. I would definitely see if you can get the SmartBoard technology on your laptop. At new teacher orientation, my superintendent said that it is better to make phone calls from the school phone, "even it means staying at school until 5." I found that expectation ridiculous as I prefer to leave around contract time and take work home in my first year. Eventually, I hope that I will only take grading home, for example, and not have to work so much at home.

19. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:52 PM

Ms. Holyoke, I think your Super gave you good advice about using a school phone for school phone calls.

teacherintexas and MrsC like this.
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Devotee

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:22 PM

Yes & I do not make phone calls from my personal phone...but I don't really like the expectation of staying until 5 just so that you can talk to a parent after work. I've tried calling a ton of parents from 2:20-3:30ish with no response. Personally, it's more convenient for me to use my personal phone on google voice.

21. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Sep 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM

If Google Voice works for you, great. Where I work we are paid a salary so while we do have contract hours, the expectation is that we put in the time necessary to do our jobs. Often I am able to speak to parents during the day and you may find asking parents for phone numbers that they are accessible at during the day will help.

teacherintexas likes this.