I Can't Find a Job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lopesss, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Lopesss

Lopesss Rookie

Jan 10, 2017

There is a job fair coming up at my school that I'm planning to attend. You're right. Some people just get lucky. And that's a pretty crazy story about the woman who sued and got a job! It's insane to think that things like that actually go on. Thanks for the advice.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2017

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Lopesss likes this.
  3. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

I graduated 4 years ago with a Masters in ElEd. Worst thing I could have done. Districts may say they want educators with MAs, but they would prefer you get it while working. You're too costly to them if they have to hire a person with no experience that requires high pay.

What I want to know is, if I need experience to get a job, where the heck am I supposed to get it if no one will give me a chance? I did a LT sub position last year. I sub. I have experience, but apparently it's not the right kind or something. People who get jobs right away must know someone who knows someone.

Don't anyone ever come to the state of Iowa unless you teach Special Ed. The state is always bitching about shortages, but they literally never say it's only in SpEd. If you're an English teacher, you might as well just go work at Walmart.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Just one word of caution about job fairs. At least around here, they hold them way too early. People come in and hand out resumes in the hopes that the face to face contact will give them an edge. Which makes sense, but in February and March, many districts have no idea what they are going to need, so they may take your name and resume and then you're forgotten. They probably take those resumes back to HR and toss them. Just don't go in thinking you'll definitely get a lead or an interview. There might not be anything to interview for.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

Iowa's the same way. Admins will also be biased against where you went to school. Went to an out of state school? Pass. Yet I have seen some truly rotten teachers out there.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2017

IloveSF likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 19, 2017

8. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jan 20, 2017

With a masters degree you'd have a hard time getting hired. You are more expensive with not much experience. I graduated in December and one of my cohort members and I interviewed for the same job he was hired and I wasn't. It was the only mid year job for eled in my county. I was hired very early at the end of April for the following school year. I was long term subbing at the time to build up my network.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2017

Evidently, it's not always about 'luck' as your feedback letter indicates. That district hired people who had experience in and who had established themselves as a valuable hire for the school district. It's the same advice given time and time again on these forums-subbing/LTS positions strengthen resumes, make candidates more desirable and competitive.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2017

11. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 21, 2017

Please don't do that.

cocobean likes this.
  12. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Jan 21, 2017

Not trying to offend, but honestly you will need to toughen up a little if you wish to teach. Your students will likely say worse to you than what Education4all has said to you.
    :)

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2017

14. SUPER STAR

SUPER STAR New Member

Mar 5, 2017

Hello, Don't lose hope just yet, You need to identify amount of time you need to spend while looking for job. Don't spend the whole day looking for the job it can be very disheartening.Work on you resume format with your relevant industry which for this case is Teaching and professionally write your cover letter

15. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

This is me. An MA but I only have being a para and a LTS job to go on. I wish I would have know this (or at least figured it out) before I went back to school. Nothing I can do about it now.

16. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

That's what I was going to say. If you walk in and the first thing you do to the "bad" kid is send them out, all that shows is that you either can't handle behavior issues or you choose not to. That doesn't say much for you as a regular teacher.

I subbed in a room recently for 4 days (3 days in a row and then one the week before). There was a kid in there that has a reputation of testing subs like they've never been tested before. I had this kid last year too, so I knew this going in. First day he was terrible, but I attempted to do the best I could. Kids kept telling me to send him to the office, but I had a feeling that that was what always happened, and it didn't exactly say much for me as a teacher. The next week, I had to administer state tests, so it needed to be quiet, and this kid is not quiet. I sent him to the hall and stood in the doorway so the other students could have the right to test in a quiet environment. At lunch, I asked the secretary if I could send him down there to test. I did this less because I was failing in my attempt to get him to behave and more at the fact that IMO, the other students were being ripped of their right to test in a quiet environment, and I wasn't having that. The secretary said, absolutely, send him down. The next day, the counselor kept him, and the third day he came back to class and was actually a bit better. The principal came in and told me I did the right thing. I don't think he would have said that had I gotten rid of the kid the minute he stepped out of line.

Besides, dealing with those issues gives you experience because, yeah, you'll have a kid like that too, no matter where you teach.

17. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 11, 2017

I think it's honestly often a mix of things - luck, right place/right time, who you know, where you sub, how impressive your credentials are...and on and on. I'm an introvert with social anxiety, so I find it very difficult to network, kiss butt, whatever. I try, but it's just not my personality to be Miss Suzy Suckup. I know a guy who graduated after me (at semester) and got a job the next August. However, he's Mr. Extrovert Butt-Kisser, so I have no doubts that that (along with being male in ElEd) got him a position. Does it make me mad? Yes. Is it fair? No. Am I willing to completely change my personality? No. I don't think I or anyone else should have to do that. I'd prefer they hire me with the personality I have because students like it and respond well. Hopefully someone out there will hire a somewhat shy teacher who is much more outgoing in a classroom.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2017

If you can't convey in an interview who you are in the classroom, it's going to be VERY difficult to land a job. One doesn't have to be a suck up to get a job....administrators and hiring committees see righ through that. Competitive candidates have not only education and experience, but they are also able to speak effectively as to their pedagogy, philosophy and passion for what they do.

19. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Mar 12, 2017

Don't act like you know how I am in interviews based solely on what I posted here. It's not like I go into an interview and hide in the corner mumbling, "Please don't talk to me," or talk so softly that no one can hear me. It's taken me a lot of practice to fake it and act confident, but I don't believe I give off some shy mouse persona in interviews. I go in there, smile, shake hands, look people in the eyes, and answer the questions to the best of my ability. I speak up and come prepared with relevant examples. Just because I may be quiet in a room full of strangers doesn't mean I do it everywhere. I've seen many a quiet teacher in classrooms, so apparently some of them get jobs.

And that may be your experience with admins, but I've known plenty who love people who suck up to them. I worked for one. They might see right through it, but the love it just the same.