I can' use candy!!! what else can I give kids?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teacher girl, Dec 6, 2012.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

Ok, I usually use candy as a positive reinforcement in a class for elementary school students with different disabilities. But, the general ed teacher that i work with won't let me give candy... and I can't think of anything.

What else could I give ( I also can't give silly bands) what else?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2012

Pencils?!?! Some fun ones!!!

4. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 6, 2012

I bought some scratch and sniff stickers that the students I sub all love. Middle schoolers seem to love them the most.

5. a2z

a2z Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Sit in a special chair to do work.
    Lunch with you if possible.
    A choice in doing certain work (this is win win because both things could be designed to meet the need of the student but the choice is the prize)

6. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para!

Dec 6, 2012

I agree with not rewarding students with food.

Ask the students for some ideas - they may come up with good ones!

Pencils, erasers, little notepads, tiny white boards, markers, pens, stickers, gel pens, things found in Target dollar spot, personal hand sanitizers, mechanical pencil lead, time with teacher, lunch with teacher, sit in special chair, line leader, paper captain, computer time...

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2012

Maybe you can do some small groups of lunch with them.

8. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Dec 6, 2012

I do stickers, but I also let them earn classroom rewards- extra computer time, using pillows/stuffed animals to read, lunch with teacher, switch their seat for the day, shoes off for the day, extra recess.

9. Muddle

Muddle Rookie

Dec 6, 2012

a very difficult dilemma for sure! Food is a primary reinforcer (and the most effective). What if you change the "candy" to something that is sugar-free at least? Or establish a token system where they have to earn 5 or 10 stickers/checkmarks to get a (healthier) food item or time with technology (computers, game systems, internet, tablets) ... then fade out the primary reinforcer with the secondary reinforcers.
    But we can't just give primary and secondary reinforcers without also teaching them the intrinsic value of completing a task or learning something new -- ultimately that's the goal right? We want them to want to be successful - that has to come from inside them. How do we get from dangling candies to them wanting to learn for the sake of learning and for pleasure??? THAT I'd like to know too... Kids these says have a very high sense of entitlement and huge egos, which makes it very difficult to ignite those intrinsic values.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Dec 6, 2012

Kids would move mountains for smelly stickers.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2012

I gave mine black triangular pencils at Halloween...you would've thought I gave them gold!!! LOL!!! Tis the season when they need them.

I don't know what grade, but you could do these and just stick the pencil in. I got one with a candy cane...so cute...

http://www.marthastewart.com/273608/candy-cane-mice

12. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Dec 7, 2012

Scented chap stick-I just rub a small amount on the top of their hand (The kids call it a "Smelly"). We can use food period as a reinforcer in our district.

13. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 7, 2012

Kids love trinkets!

14. MrShiva

MrShiva Rookie

Dec 16, 2012

Instead of giving them foods, just use star stamp for positive reinforcement. They motivate to do good things again through that.

15. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 17, 2012

The no candy thing is so ridiculous! Our school can't even give out real treats at their Holiday Party. They have to have a "healthy treat." Crazy considering the teachers' lounge is loaded with goodies!