I Am So Sick of Movie Remakes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 13, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

Now they are remaking Dirty Dancing and Footloose. :eek: Is nothing sacred? They can't in any way shape or form be better than the original, so why do it? They are even re-recording all the music from the original Footloose soundtrack-Blake Shelton is going to sing the title song (and I have no problem with his music, but come on-that was an 80's classic). Dirty Dancing with the loss of Patrick Swayze last year-I just think it's ridiculous. Ugh, it just kills me.

I wonder if this is the lack of creativity that comes from a generation of kids who were taught to the test?:whistle:

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

I agree 150%!! It's like no one can come up with creative ideas, so let's remake a classic! I won't be seeing them, that's for sure.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

The only movie I've seen this summer was Cars2, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 13, 2011

:yeahthat:

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 13, 2011

Nothing is original anymore!!!! It's either remade or based on the book! How do you get people into reading when they can just go watch the movie!?!? It drives me nuts and I really don't go see many movies.

I think it's just sad...no imagination anymore!

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2011

I was bummed to hear about a Dirty Dancing remake.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

It's easier to get funding to remake stuff because they think they can produce better profit predictions.

Remaking Dirty Dancing is just about the worst of the remake ideas. It's an iconic movie; why not remake Ferris Bueller, The Seven Year Itch, and Breakfast at Tiffanys too? Since the original movie was a period piece, the point can't even be to update it.

But they will to film elsewhere as the lake they used isnt that big a lake any more! It's a pretty cool geologic feature located close to where I went to school: Mountain Lake, VA

I think that they will find that Patrick Swayze can't be replaced.

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 13, 2011

I was also very disappointed to hear about the Dirty Dancing remake....C'mon.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

It seems like they're taking all the great shows/movies from my childhood and destroying them. Smurfs? Karate Kid? Please. These new movies aren't bringing anything new to the table. I'd even argue that they're taking quite a bit away. I'm not a fan.

I like remakes when the original movie was bad. For example, I really liked the new version of The Crazies, which was a remake of a really cheesy movie from I think the 70s. But when they take a movie that was already good in its own right, like Dirty Dancing, I just don't think there's anything they can do to make it better. I'd be surprised, anyway.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

There's a 21 Jump Street movie in the works too-Channing Tatum is no Johnny Depp-sorry.

The sad thing is these kids don't even know any better. They think of the Karate Kid and think of Jackie Chan and Will Smith's son. They will never know the true classic.

Ceasar-I agree-I wouldn't have any problem with them remaking a movie that was bad in the first place. But true '80's movies can't be updated-they just can't, that was their charm.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

21 Jump Street doesn't annoy me as much because at least that would be updated and adapted. There was also a rumor that Johnny Depp would be willing to take some part in it.

But Dirty Dancing can't be updated unless they throw out the whole plot or go somewhere else like they did with the not-so-great Havana Nights.

I think kids do know the Karate Kid. When we do moon phases, someone always. Rings it up, even before the remake.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2011

I'm waiting for the new Breakfast Club...or St. Elmo's Fire. :mad:

15. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

NO. Not Breakfast Club. I do hope they leave that one alone. Pure classic!

I heard rumblings of them remaking Heathers too. I mean, seriously? Is no classic safe?! :eek:

I'm still a bit ticked off about the new Spiderman Reboot.... the other one is barely ten years old! What is the point of re-doing it?

16. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I thought this was about the new Planet of The Apes movie.
    My daughter said it was great. My youngest brother and I saw all the original ones.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

But why do we need a movie made from an '80's tv show? I just don't understand.

You can't tell me that there aren't poor screenwriters out there hawking creative movie scripts. I think filmmakers believe brand recognition will make people go see these movies. So dumb.

If they remake Heathers I might have to cancel my Netflix membership in protest or something. That's just sacrilege!!!!

And you're right-Spiderman and Planet of the Apes (with Mark Wahlberg) were just remade. Why, Why?

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Those are classics???

19. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

Yes, they are classics!

I grew up with movies like the Breakfast Club and then, later, Dirty Dancing. Those are definitely iconic movies. Heathers was also very influential to a lot of later movies.

The definition of classic is fluid. I don't consider the movies from my generation any less classic than the Hitchcocks or Hepburns, or Monroes or other movies that I also love.

Even if a movie wasn't actually good, if it has a role in defining the pop culture of it's era, it's a classic.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

They are if you grew up in the '80's. More of what may be considered a cult classic-not Oscar winning fare, but definitely meaningful to those who watched them growing up. Many of us wanted Jake Ryan to come drive us away in that corvette. :blush: Heathers began a whole new genre of dark teen humor-I can recite most of the lines to that movie by heart. I still use "Oh, the humanity!".

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

Oh, Jake Ryan! Swoon! :wub: