I am so sad with the decesion to quit working for parents

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jan 26, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 29, 2018

They gave me a sweet deal. I bought 10 car washes and 10 oil changes for only $300!

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

American made and American assembled are two different things. I doubt you could find one trully American made car by any manufacturer.

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 29, 2018

I've never understood car washes. I just wait for it to rain LOL. But then again, I've never bought a brand new car---I always get used.

5. futuremathsprof

Jan 29, 2018

I never wash my own car and never do my own oil changes. I would rather pay someone to do it because I can’t be bothered to, lol!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

Jan 29, 2018

I never said Japanese cars are of higher quality. I said in my observation of Honda vehicles I have found them to be more reliable than other makes and models. Speaking of which, I spoke with workers from four different dealerships and they all reiterated the same thing, and only one of them was an official Honda dealer. They even had proof of several different cars — all of which were Honda’s — that drove for multiple hundreds of thousands of miles before they quit running.

My mom’s friend has an old Honda Civic from 2000 and it still runs great with 275,000 miles on it. My mom’s Ford F-250 had to have numerous repairs done to it from 80,000 miles to 160,000 miles (engine replaced, axels replaces, brakes replaced, etc) and my previous 2012 Ford Focus had so many recalls it was ridiculous. The engine knocked and I hated it.

Sorry, but I’m a Honda driver for life. Those cars are made to last and just keep going and going. Ford and others need to get their you-know-what together before I ever buy another one of their cars.

And yes, what I’m saying is completely anecdotal and scientifically worthless, but I’ve noticed far too many problems with certain models of vehicles over others. That is not merely coincidental. Why can’t other manufacturers produce higher quality vehicles that last like Honda does? How hard is it? Honda is able to do it so they can, too!

Honda’s are simply superior, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

I find if I want my car to look good after a car wash, I need to wash it first. No matter where I go, they don’t get into certain spots.

8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 29, 2018

I’ve only owned Chevrolet’s and could say the same thing. Thus as you observed, it’s annecdotal.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jan 30, 2018

Hey you guys the thread has turned into a car thread! Lol.
    My previous car was a 2008 Honda civic. I had it for many years. It's still a good care. I given it to my brother. I now have a 2016 Toyota corolla.

I also have cut a lot if bills from my house hold to maintain.
    I phone bill is now 50 a month
    I have no more cable and only pay 60 for Wi-Fi. I purchased SlingTv and only pay 50 for premium channels and regular channels
    My electricity bill varies from 100-120
    And Geico will allow to pay towards car insurance at any amount

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

You need to drop the premium cable and take up reading or local channels captured with rabbit ears if you ask me. I’d also find a way to ditch the car you cannot afford and tell baby brother you’re taking the car back. Unless that was never yours and instead a family car.

11. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 30, 2018

No, it fits my budget and spending. I realized that it is worth cutting things I do not need. I hardly watch cable tv. Slingtv is internet tv and very cheap! The car note is not as expensive being that I cut a lot of unnecessary bills

12. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jan 30, 2018

Another question I have is that if two jobs hire me which position should I choose? I have an interview for both jobs on the same day

The group home position is teaching and social working which are the two fields I have the most experience with. However, with a Bachelors Degree and two years of experience in childcare, they are offering applicants 11.10 per hour! There are long hours and rotating shifts. I honestly think the pay is an insult! I decided to tell the hiring manager that I will interview for PRN and full time because I am not sure if I will get hired on as preschool teacher with the migrant head start

The preschool teacher position which is the position I want is offering 16.94 per hour. Being that it is a migrant headstart the school year starts in May and ends in December. It will be good for me because I will have summer work. However, what will happen after the migrant school year? The principal told me most of their teachers apply for compensation, but that isn't much of an income from what other teachers told me. I do work from home part-time, so maybe that could be supplemental income for me because I can go from part-time to full-time, and I will also be going into student teaching when the school year ends. I think I will start on Jan after the first

I was then contacted by an AmeriCorps employee to be a part of their program this summer to help other teachers in Orlando with VPK program in Florida. If I accept the position, I will be a consultant for new VPK teachers. I will earn over three grand every two weeks and will also receive a stipend for traveling to Orlando and pay for housing and necessities. The problem is this job is extremely temporary and the only way I will accept this job if I have something in place in the fall. I also will have separate bills to pay for my apartment

13. futuremathsprof

Jan 30, 2018

True, however if you request that they wash certain spots they will. For example, I always ask them to wipe the inside of the windshield and the dashboard.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 30, 2018

They do that, but they’ll always miss things inside and out.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2018

Only you can answer the question of which job is the best for you You've talked about struggles to pay bills, so job stability needs to be a consideration; you don't want to find yourself without income. You also don't want to make another decision that you are going to immediately regret.

You have a lot of irons in the fire right now--several possible job leads, student teaching, part-time work from home. It's going to be extremely important for you to be sure to leave any interview with a very clear understanding of salary, hours, benefits, and terms of employment (including the end of the contract). Write these down as soon as you leave the interview; you can't make an informed decision without this knowledge. Will all of the jobs allow you to complete your student teaching? If you can't, how will that impact your program?

It can be exciting to think that you may have multiple job offers; be sure not to get caught up in the excitement.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2018

Cross that bridge when you get to it. Three job offers at once is a rare opportunity.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 31, 2018

My mother would tell me not to count my chicken's before they are hatched, so I will share that with you. Don't count any money that isn't ready to go to the bank - and make sure you have all of the facts before signing on any dotted line. It is the same advice that I would and did give my own son, pretty much what my parents said to me. They acknowledged that I could and would make my own decisions, but their intent was to simply remind me to consider all factors before making what could be a life-changing decision. Face it - some decisions have more impact on our lives than others.

Our lives are not video games with reset buttons that take us to a safe place. In fact, our lives are complicated, where one decision impacts everything, through a "trickle down" effect, and the sooner we learn that, the more importance we can assign to all of our actions. Actions have consequences, our words have significance and meaning, and people tend to "remember" these little details long after we may have sent our actions and words to the "trash folder."

If this was my choice to make, I would consider everything very carefully, and only agree to terms that I feel I can actually deliver on. Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 1, 2018

Hey everyone thanks a lot. I will give an update