I am at my last nerves with working for my family. I will be leaving next school year

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Oct 10, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Oct 10, 2017

I posted on this thread many times about how I work in my parents preschool as a VPK teacher in the state of Florida. I currently live 40 mins away in Georgia in a bordering Florida city and attend grad school online for a MEd that will lead to a GA teacher certification. I am planning on taking my teacher certification before my given date by Grand Canyon University so that I will be able to find a job in a public school in August of next year.
    My mother did not pay me for the week that I worked because she says the state did not pay her for the week were closed due to the Hurricane. However, all the other workers got their paychecks on time. I guess since I am her daughter she felt it would be ok to withhold my check and I should have a better understanding because we are family. I am pissed. I am behind on rent, electricity, and cable. My other paychecks from my two jobs will not deposit until next week. I have to bum pocket change from her for gas and food. I am very broke! I just can not take living like this and be treated this way. It is very unprofessional. I will not be paid until next Monday, and by that time I will have to pay a late fee on all of my bills! The reason I have two other jobs is that the I can not depend on the check working with my parents. The pay periods are very sporadic. I can't take this anymore. I have filled out my Georgia teacher pre-certification and will be taking the state test in December. I hope that I pass the test. She also wants me to work over until five today, and I can not see myself doing that when I did not receive my PAY for the days worked during the past weeks. I am very upset

Backroads likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2017

I am so glad you're making this change! Family is family, but business is business. If you aren't being treated well by your own relatives in the professional setting, it's best you separate the two. If she gets mad, let her know that you love her too much as a parent to put that part of your relationship in jeopardy.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 10, 2017

It is so overwhelming that all I can do is cry. On top of that, I have developed ovarian cysts that have been giving me pains for 6 months. I am so hurt and depressed. This has to be the worst year I have been on earth. So many negative things have happened to me. I am ready for it to end.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2017

As someone who is also dealing with ovarian cysts, OUUUUUUCH! That pain is unreal, but I'm waiting on test results to find out the best course of treatments, so I'm patient. Please consider getting to a doctor while your current job is still paying for your health insurance (assuming you get that benefit).

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 10, 2017

At this point, wouldn't you make more working somewhere like Walmart or another retailer that will at least pay you on time? I would quit now and try to sub during the day and get a partime job after school. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. If the other employees at the daycare weren't paid in a timely manner your parents would be reported.

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2017

How much are you making? You might do better going elsewhere NOW. Your parents need to understand that you feel taken advantage of and it's unacceptable. And that this is affecting your relationship with them.

WarriorPrncss likes this.
  8. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 10, 2017

Sadly, no I do not get benefits but I do have private insurance. I had to go to the ER for the pain. It was in my lower stomach and lower back. The dr. did bloodwork and an ultrasound. He found a cyst on my left ovary that has healed and one on the right ovary that was giving me much pain. Now that I have started my cycle, the pain is gone.

9. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 10, 2017

I make 980 every 2 weeks

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2017

How many hours are you working?

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Oct 10, 2017

Aren't you also working for online ESL teaching companies?
    I'd quit your parents preschool now, and work more hours for the online teaching jobs and possibly sub during the day if you aren't worn out!

12. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 11, 2017

Regular school hours 7:30-3:30

13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 11, 2017

Yes, but they pay monthly and that would be a great idea. I may look into it

14. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 11, 2017

I woke up today with no gas in my car to get to work. I informed my mother about this and she is coming up this way to give me gas money and want me to come to work still. I refuse. There is no way I am coming into my classroom this late only to leave a few hours later.

15. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 11, 2017

All of this could have been avoided if I received my pay

16. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 11, 2017

I just do not feel like a professional teacher. The last place I was employed was also a preschool and I quit because the lady was mishandling money. Now, I am going through the same thing with family. I am not sure if I will encounter the same in a public school but I am leaving

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2017

You're getting $12.25 per hour....when you do get paid. Babysitters get more than that.

18. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Cohort

Oct 11, 2017

You should make business cards or put your contact information on a billboard at a college or university or high school advertising your tutoring services. You need to definitely raise your rates because your current pay is poo-poo. I make more than that tutoring part-time (I charge $50/hour). You could get away with charging $30/hour and people are willing to pay that. Then you can start steadily raising your rates once you build a network and get a bunch of positive reviews. Where I live, I’m so well known by parents that I get contacted daily pretty much and sometimes on the weekends. I charge double on weekends, though, lol.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  19. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2017

I guess tutoring will mostly be a matter of content area expertise. There is probably not a huge tutoring market for the preschool crowd, aside from ESL, and even then, in the US, many parents would simply rely on the ESL services provided free of charge by the school district. Certainly, however, if you have depth of knowledge in a core content area, you may be able to tutor elementary students.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2017

Sounds like this makeshift, unorganized mess of an alternative school where I was at a few yrs ago as an SLP. It was run by this wife (principal) and her husband (seemed to be the maintenance man). Their daughter was one of the teachers too. They rented the use of the grounds from this church. Every year, practically all the teachers would quit or not even last one school year and there would be all new teachers each time or every few mos. I was only there from June to the last weekday of March that year because they stopped paying me too after a while. Other than that, it would have been pretty easy money.

Glad you're moving onward & upward! Can you try to be a substitute w/ some local districts, or even work some clerical, retail, or other non-educated related jobs in the meantime to have some money for yourself since you seem to need more than what the WAH (work at home) job is paying?

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  21. TeacherCuriousExplore

Oct 14, 2017

I currently work from home with now 3 jobs(Cambly, Vipkid, 51talk) pay is decent and I may choose to do this full time during the summer months instead of working with my family all summer long. As of now, they are part-time jobs to help with income. What hurt me is the check that I needed from my parents because they did not tell me ahead of time that i will not be getting paid that week. If they would have I could of saved money