I am a bathroom attendant, not a teacher!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 3, 2018

I figure I would start a new thread about this because I need a better bathroom policy.

First of all, I am fine with having the kids go to the bathroom when they need but my rule is one at a time. However, in two of my classes, I have about 15 kids out of the room daily. It is too much for me to keep track of when I’m also trying to teach a lesson. Some of the the kids then get mad when I tell them they have to wait. My new policy is no bathroom for the first and last 10 mins of class. My students in one of my classes didn’t like this and complained to another teacher.

I have thought of bathroom tickets (giving each kid 4 per quarter). However, my school says we cannot deny a student request to the bathroom but we can ask them to wait. I’ve tried saying “wait 10 minutes and they still remember.” I did have 2 students who asked to go to the bathroom in English and math (we checked the logs) which is obviously work avoidance. It is the same 15 kids every day! I’m not calling parents about this issue because I haven’t found calling home to be helpful with behavior.

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2018

Just PM'ed you

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2018

One thing that works for me is saying to the students I know are avoiding work, "Answer three questions and then ask again." Often they'll follow this up with "But I don't know how to do it!" To which I respond, "Then you need to be asking for help instead of asking to go to the bathroom."

Then I'll help the student get started on the assignment.

At least half the time they forget they "needed" to go.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    teacherintexas likes this.
  5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 3, 2018

How about when they want to go they ask you, you say “ask me in ten mins”. If they ask again then say out loud “little Johnny number 1” and so that way the kids hear it and they remind you and each other what number they are.

15 kids which is like half the class wanting to go to the bathroom every lesson is a lot. It probably is work avoidance which is an issue worth following up with parents. I mean if a kid flat out refused to do work in class you would contact parents so this is no different. You could track the kids bathroom requests for a week to provide data to parents so they will see it is an issue.

6. Aces

Aces Comrade

Nov 3, 2018

See... This is why I hate the bathroom conversation. It's a whole bloody mess that's like opening Pandora's box. Once it's opened, it just snowballs until you're eventually consumed by nothing but bathroom requests. I'm not sure if my policy will help you or not based on your grade level, but I'll explain it anyways.

I don't believe in taking responsibility for when someone has to go to the bathroom. All of my students — and probably yours too — are old enough to know when they need to use the rest room. I have one male restroom pass, one female pass (students have to have some sort of pass if they're in the hallways during class). If you have to go, take the pass and go. If the pass isn't there, you need to wait (or get in trouble for being in the hallways which is completely on you). If you ask the answer is no. Just take the pass and go, no need for conversation.

I think this is one of those cases where if you make a big deal about it, then they know they can use it to disrupt class. My line of thinking is that you should know when you have to go to the bathroom. Not me. Who am I to tell someone else that they don't need to go to the bathroom? So just take the pass and go. There's no need for any sort of discussion. I explain this at the beginning of the semester, and that's that. I don't have the bathroom conversation any more after that.

7. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2018

If it is a real problem then make a large bathroom pass out of wood. Only one pass so only one kid out of the room at any one time. Hang it on a nail at the front of the room so you know if is is missing a child is out of the room.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 3, 2018

I think the bathroom thing is only an issue if you make it one. Who cares if they're going potty? My bathroom policy is "yesh, yesh,...." *sigh* when they ask.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 3, 2018

I don't care either but I get so many requests that I have to keep track of who goes after who in addition to teaching a lesson. And the kids always ask during the lesson.

Maybe I can just do a bathroom signal and keep a list of names on my clipboard for kids who ask to leave. I do not want to deal with bathroom tickets or rewarding kids who don't go.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 3, 2018

My bathroom procedure has worked well for me for many years.
    • nobody out first ten or last ten of the class period (We have 65 minute class periods.)
    • nobody leaves during direct instruction, group work, or a timed activity
    Naturally, emergencies and medical issues are a different story. I do have to define "emergency" and "medical issue" for them. "I don't like going between classes", "I forgot to go", and "I didn't need to go then" are not emergencies. Chronic medical issues require a statement from a doctor.

We are required to keep up with who is out of the room. I have a sign-out sheet by the classroom door near the school-provided hall passes. I also printed a sheet for myself with every student's name on it, three boxes next to the name, and a comment box. It is on the clipboard I carry with me. When a student asks to use the restroom, I write the date in a box next to his/her name. I talk with anyone who is a frequent flyer. As a team, we chose three times per grading period as the limit unless there is some documented medical need.

Every student gets the opportunity to use the restroom between classes (4 minutes every 5 minutes), before school, after school, and at lunch.

Any time we have parents complain, we just give them numbers. If the student uses all of the passes each grading period, that's 18 times out of class each grading period when they never have more than 65 minutes in a single class before being allowed a break anyway.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 3, 2018

We don't have enough time between classes for kids to go, so I do really feel for them. If I think they're trying to avoid work, I'll ask if they can wait a few minutes. Most say yes and end up not asking again. If I have a student who seems like they're going a lot, I'll talk to them in private about it.

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Nov 3, 2018

I wish I could make a rule that nobody leaves during direct instruction but we are not allowed to. I think I just need to deal with the disruptions. One of the teachers in my school said she doesn't help kids or give notes when they go to the bathroom during the lesson. My kids have never even asked for them...

13. Aces

Aces Comrade

Nov 3, 2018

Therein lies the problem with trying to fight this bathroom war. You don't have a snowballs chance in Texas at winning this one.

14. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Nov 4, 2018

I have found more peace when I don't make it a big deal. One kid out at a time, requesting them to wait during Whatever Instruction, following up on unusual frequencies or reported tomfoolery. Otherwise, I have better things to do than lose sleep over bathrooms.

Unfortunately, my school culture is kind of weird about it. There's no rules regarding bathroom time during class but it seems most teachers go to a lot of trouble on bathroom policies. My school is only kinder and first. So, yeah, teaching a bit about prudent bathroom usage, I get, but at the same time, yo, it's kinder and first.

otterpop likes this.
  15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 4, 2018

Without admin support, you’re done. That stinks,

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 4, 2018

I've found a fast pace helps with keeping them in the classroom too, although you obviously can't always do that. Students never ask to go when we're playing games or watching a fun video. Then it becomes time to get work done, and what do ya know, it's an emergency!

But the above attitude is mine, more or less. I've also started sending work home when it's not finished. If they want to waste class time, they can finish up class work at home.

It's such a weird thing that teachers have to think about.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Nov 5, 2018

I say let them go whenever they want but if they miss something it's on them. If there's a sign out sheet then they can use that Interrupting the teacher to ask to go to the bathroom is not acceptable especially if they are repeat offenders.

otterpop likes this.