Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 6, 2012

Just got a call...schools closed for the rest of the WEEK, and possibly next Monday.
    :(

2. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 6, 2012

We're in the same boat. Today is day 7. We are closed tomorrow and Thursday and Friday is still up in the air. About 10% of,our town still doesn't have power.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

We are back, but a lot of schools around here are not. Good luck! Stay warm.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 6, 2012

My town has had power since last Thurs (we're PSEG), and the town I teach in is just like 10 miles away with only about 40% power (they're JCP & L). We're not even remotely close to any coastal area either. We already go to school until like June 26 I believe so that's gonna be rough after losing spring break I'm sure...

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2012

I didn't see your response because you deleted it before I was able to read it as is sometimes the case. But there was no disrespect intended, Alice. I have seen the same reaction in various unfortunate situations, and I simply think it's a difficult position for community and national leaders.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2012

My dad got a call today from the insurance company. They aren't going to send out an insurance adjuster, they simply don't have the resources.

They are just going to cut us a check for the amount in damages/lost goods and then a bit on top.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 8, 2012

I'm amazed that towns are still without power, especially for those not in flooded areas or houses that aren't destroyed.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2012

LOTS of downed trees and wires. The guys who took care of the tree and wires on my street were from Illinois...my insurance adjuster came in from Chicago...help is coming from all over....it's THAT MUCH destruction.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 8, 2012

We were once without power for 10 days, by day 8, I was about to lose my mind.