Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 4, 2012

With people not always having phones charged, not everyone having email on their phone, a website sophisticated enough for secrecy and checks needed for a ballot is likely not going to be accessed by mobile version anyway, and gas issues that require saving for emergencies or job commutes much less to find a place offering a computer, I wonder if email is even going to do the trick completely for all areas.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

LOTS of people don't have email yet. Communication has been a serious issue.

Over 450,000 homes still don't have power, heat, or hot water. Temperatures last night were close to freezing.

For lots and lots of otherwise civic-minded people, the election is the last thing to think about. They're more concerned with keeping their kids and/or elderly parents warm, getting a hot meal, and finding gasoline for their generators and so they can get to work.

Lines for gasoline stretch on forever-- I saw one yesterday that was a good mile from the gas station.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

From today's Newsday:

"Henican: Left in dark with many questions

November 3, 2012 5:51 PM By ELLIS HENICAN

So many questions, so many unanswered, at the end of a very challenging week. Nice to hear the polls will be open on Tuesday. Now who's expecting to drive to one? . . . You wanted waterfront property? This badly? . . . How will Steve Bellone enforce his no-gouging threat? Has he ever been to the Hamptons in August?

How much dumber are Long Island kids for missing school all week? How much smarter will they be after sitting in a classroom in July? . . . The Commack library has Internet and electricity? Have you ever seen the parking lot so packed?

Obama surveyed Sandy's damage in Jersey and offers to survey in NYC? Should LI be offended he hasn't surveyed here? . . . Who needs a StairMaster? Minda Aguhob is recruiting fellow stair-climbing gym rats to deliver food and water to older folks trapped in city high-rises.

If Sandy hit lands at Category 1, how would LI handle a Cat 5? . . . Whose idea was it anyway to put electric lines near trees? Think again, please . . . Can modern science please take a bow? With eight diesel-powered generators, all the Cold Spring Harbor Lab specimens are safe and sound post-Sandy.

Sandy might not tip Romney/Obama, but what about Altschuler/Bishop? Whose supporters are more grateful? Whose are more fed up?

Have you tasted one of those Sandy MREs? They're magic! One bite and your hunger is gone! . . . Did Expedia really say zero hotel rooms are available anywhere on LI well into next week? Zero? When was the last time that occurred?

Do Mike Bloomberg and Andrew Cuomo mind Chris Christie's Sandy star turn? Do Bellone and Ed Mangano mind they aren't even in the running? . . . A few gas-line tussles get all the attention, but weren't they outnumbered 100 to 1 -- maybe 1,000 to 1 -- by the gratuitous acts of kindness?

What are LI cellphone towers made of? They can't withstand some wind? . . . Believe in climate change yet? How many more 100-year storms will it take? . . . Now do you regret replacing the landline with a cordless phone? Isn't there an old reliable stored in the attic somewhere?

Insurance deductibles are based on the total value of the home? Can Cuomo really just waive them? Why didn't previous governors think of that? . . . When was the last time you needed D batteries? Outside of emergency flashlights, I mean. Who knew D batteries were even made anymore? . . . Who wants to start an Electricity Appreciation Society? This week, membership recruitment would be a breeze.

Have you played this post-Sandy guessing game: Listen for the accents of the visiting repair crews and try to guess where they're from. Thank Alabama. Thank 'em all . . . You hear what Business Corners of Hauppauge did? Invited anyone to come and get connected for free.

No marathon? You mean now we'll have to run 26 miles all by ourselves? . . . How much stiffer will Fire Island building codes be after this? . . . Next time someone says "evacuate," how many more people will evacuate? . . . Be honest now: Before Sandy hit, did you have any idea how dark Long Island could be at night?

Am I doing the math right? With 3,100 LIPA workers and 526,000 LIPA customers in the dark (as of Friday afternoon), isn't that nearly 340 customers for every two-worker crew? Realistically, how many turn-ons a day? . . . Exactly a week ago, who described the Sandy pre-coverage as "over-hyped?" Really? What was I thinking"

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 4, 2012

I just heard on the news that in a state of emergency, NY can extend voting a day if original turnout is low.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

I'm not sure what good a day will do. The people of Long Beach and Lindenhurst and Massapequa and Breezy Point and Howard Beach and Port Jeff have more urgent matters to worry about, even if somehow they do have the gasoline to get to the polling place and the time to do so before the sun sets at 4:30..

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 4, 2012

I agree, Alice. There will be a whole lot of NYers and people from Jersey who aren't able to vote, which is a shame.

I have two friends who moved out of state this year that can't vote at all in the election. Mailing of absentee ballots was delayed due to Sandy, so they never received theirs.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

Did they just recently move? Son moved in June to the next town and was able to quickly get his voter registration moved there.

8. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 4, 2012

Since NY and NJ are pretty solidly blue states, could they postpone their local elections? I would imagine the bigger impact will be on that than on the Presidential vote.

9. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 4, 2012

They moved about a year and a half ago.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 4, 2012

They really should have changes their registration before now. It's sad that they can't vote, but they should be voting where they live now.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

The districts are changing their minds and closing tomorrow and Tuesday; there simply isn't enough gasoline to run buses.

Peter and I are both going in to our respective schools to help out; both schools are being used as drop off points for donations. They're also trying to set up alternate housing for kids who need it; they've asked any parents who can shelter a student or whose kids need shelter to let the school know.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

I'm going in tomorrow...back to work! No Halloween in school. Trick or treat is cancelled in my town due to down wires and trees. It's just not safe. Looking forward to a return to some bit of normal tomorrow....and praying for those who dream of normal.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

We're both carpooling.

I have almost 3/4 of a tank of gas and Peter is at about 1/2. There is simply no gas to be had on Long Island. You have to wait a good hour and a half (according to our next door neighbor) AND be lucky enough to get on line for a station that is going to receive a delivery. Today after mass we treated the kids to the diner. We passed a HUGE gas line next to a closed Exxon station. An hour later the line was gone and the station was still closed; apparently those people chose a station that wasn't getting a delivery.

It's maddening.

I don't want to hear that the ports are clogged with debris. Send the tankers to Baltimore or Washington, then truck it up here. But aside from the fact that it's interfering with education, and with the return to normalcy, it's also keeping people cold-- hundreds of thousands of LIPA people are still in the dark and a decent number of them are relying on gas powered generators. Govenor Cuomo is asking New Yorkers for patience as they sit in cold dark homes, losing pay for jobs they can't get to. They've been patient-- for a week. Now they're cold and hungry and tired of being in the dark. Temperatures have gotten a lot lower since the hurricane; now they hover near freezing each night.

Funny, it seems both presidential candiates have all the gas they need to continue their campaigns. And I've noticed that neither of them are sleeping in cold dark houses like a lot of the kids I teach. Do you think that maybe if either of them had parents on Long Island, or kids in school here, that the situation might be different????

Yesterday the TV showed Janet Napolitano touring Massapequa or Lindenhurst with Peter King, promising help. That's wonderful. But the gesture would have been a whole lot more impressive if she had taken off that nice warm winter coat and given it to one of the people in the background who have lost everything, and THEN toured the devastation... before getting back into her nice warm, gassed up car and going back home.

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2012

I spent the day giving out hot food, water, snacks and supplies in lindenhurst....I felt like I was in a third world country...so sad, what I saw on tv was nothing compared to the people that were so thankful for a hot dog or peanut butter and jelly sandwich....the cars were all useless bc they had flooded and they were just bringing stuff out of their house and into dumpsters :(

4 of my friends teach there and I just could not imagine if those were my students.

My school is open tomorrow, just got the call...the students come from all 5 boroughs so I don't know how many of them will actually be able to make it in. And since I'm an hour away from my school, if the gas situation doesn't improve, I won't be able to get there Tuesday. Hoping for the best.

15. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 4, 2012

Just checking in. We finally got back power last night. Hudson county is a total war zone. Half of it still doesn't have power. There are down trees, power lines, FEMA trucks everywhere. School is closed until further notice. The gas lines are 3-4 hours long. I had to drive 22 miles last night to get gas so I could take my mom to chemo tomorrow. It's so bad we can't even get food because no place is open and the ones that are can't get deliveries. Sorry it sounds like I'm complaining. I'm really not- I know I am much luckier than others including my 2 aunts that lost their homes and cars and my best friend that lost his grandpa but I'm starting to break down over the situation.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

:hugs:, Chem.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

Huge :hugs: Chem. Thanks for checking in with us! Many prayers still going out for you guys.

18. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 4, 2012

Thanks for listening to my vent. My husband acts as if nothing is wrong and that I'm a crazy person because I am upset over everything.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 4, 2012

Oh Chem, many hugs. Glad you are safe and prayers for you and your community.

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2012

Men process things differently which is why women need friends and AtoZ friends to vent to. Venting releasing stress for us, but listening to it makes stress for men. They just want to fix it. We want to talk about it and then fix it. Men have to release the stress, too, but they do it in different ways - hopefully, positive ones.