Humane...for humans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

I think that the DNRs were brought up in response to the question about what happens in situations where a person is no longer able to communicate their wishes. Just like a person plans for that contingency, he or she could also plan to be euthanized. The person could make it clear from the onset of their disease that once it progressed to a certain point, the person would prefer to be euthanized.

2. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

Sorry, I just wanted to make sure that they were two different things. Right now, are there any states where it is possible to make it clear that they want to be euthanized? Or just that they do not want to be resuscitated?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

As far as I know, physician-assisted death is still illegal here. I think that you're only allowed to make living wills that prohibit life-saving measures (CPR, etc.) from being taken. I could be wrong.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

Yes Sue, I'm most interested in situations that were not expected or planned. An accident that left your child alive even without life support...but with absolutely zero quality of life. Or your parent who perhaps refused to consider the day he might be in a nursing home in a constant state of fear and confusion.

Another sensitive possibility might be a baby born with with severe, severe issues both physically and surely mentally. Should a mother be given the right to euthanize her child to spare the child a life of darkness in every sense of the word?

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts on this.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

It seems so bizarre to me that assisted suicide is so taboo when so many people here and I'm sure in general would support it.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

Our medical industry probably has a lot of clout with the lawmakers who could pass a law legalizing it. Hospitals and drug companies make a lot more money keeping someone alive, even when it is unnecessary and cruel to do so.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2011

The ethico-religious factor probably looms much larger, Caesar, as a force that keeps assisted suicide illegal.

It strikes me that this might be one of those realms in which a gray area would serve better than absolutes either way. There's something to be said for assisted suicide being technically illegal but for the authorities having discretion as to whether or not to prosecute.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

The cynic in me tends to agree with this. The health care industry makes a whole lot of money off the terminally ill. There are some that claim that even cures to cancer and other horrific illnesses have been... hidden or discouraged... because of the money it will cost the pharmaceutical companies.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2011

CareMark denies chemo to stage 4 patients. I know they do. I have the letter that states it.

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

Assisted suicide is just so permanent, once it is started there is almost no "do overs"
    My Mom had told me she was to be DNR so I went with her wishes.
    I feel with children it is a touchy subject. What you are saying we should do a post delivery abortion?

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

That's absolutely heart breaking... unjust, unfair, unethical... :(

12. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

It's a slippery slope because everything in our society gets sensationalized so asissted suicide becomes assisted murder. Dr. Kevorkian was called a murderer for a long time.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I have always been extremely anti-abortion (to the point of wearing shirts and such), but I'm just thinking aloud here. Might it be the humane thing to do to end pregnancies that will result in severe abnormalities, and if it's somehow not discovered until delivery, then end the life then? Or is it ethical to allow life to come and go naturally...to have the child, and then spend the remainder of your life tending to the child who cannnot understand, communicate, use the bathroom or eat or anything else independently, and then to worry who will care for your needy child when you pass before he or she does? So many here have said it's the humane thing to do to end life once it becomes dreadful, both with animals and people, so why not apply that same thought when the life is dreadful from the beginning? Of course, I know some of the reasons not do, such as the big question of what qualifies to be bad enough conditions to spare a soul a life of living with those conditions. Only those in vegetable-like states (hate that term, but...), or maybe some would say those with DS, or maybe a deaf-blind child. Who makes that call?

Again, I am just thinking here. Truly.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2011

I was thinking just about the same thing.

Although when you think about it people get arrested for doing non humane things to dogs... I guess it's hard of what becomes humane and not.

I think really it needs to be up to the person that may want that when it comes time. "We" make that "choice" for our animals and to a lot of people an animal is just as important in their life as people. I would think "we" are capable of making that choice for us when in "sound" mind!!!

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

Okay - so I was discussing this thread with my husband. (We agree BTW with voluntary assisted suicide.) As we were talking about the "sticky" issues of it all, he brought up people who live with mental illness such as chronic and severe depression, schizophrenia (sp?), etc. Should they be given the choice to end their life? They are chronic and debilitating diseases that can and do adversely affect the quality of a person's life. The question stems from the fact that my husband deals with chronic depression and borderline personality disorder. He manages it with medications and therapy, but some people can't. What are y'alls thoughts?