Huge mistake accepting this position...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by alp123, Aug 26, 2017.

1. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 26, 2017

I was just hired on at a new district and wish I had done some research on the school before accepting. I was so excited and grateful for the position as a a middle school ela teacher. I was actually offered 2 jobs on the same day and I chose this district. Now I'm regretting my decision. 10 new teachers were hired at the school and when I inquired as to why so many, the Director of Human Resources (who seems to be a nice lady), told me many teachers retired or went to districts closer to their homes. It turns out that that was not the case. After being there for three weeks what I have found out was that 10 teachers quit because of the new P. She is very hostile, unapproachable, and rules with an iron fist. New teachers have no one one to turn to for help because the teachers that remain tell us to "figure it out" or 'look it up". There is no academic coach to help us with curriculum or observations, no guidance, but very strict requirements with what is expected from us. Who are we supposed to ask??? The senior teachers are rude to us newbies, won't help us and all in all, have very negative attitudes. My lead has not even been teaching for a year and gets irritated if I ask any questions, like I'm supposed to know what the school is all about. The students are pretty good for the most part, but I've had 4 of the new teachers confide in me that they cry before they come to work because they feel so lost and they're afraid of the principal. I myself have felt sick to my stomach before work. I teach 6 different classes with one prep. I use my lunch as a second prep. We've been in school for a week and we've all been informally observed twice. I am not a new teacher and have been tenured at other districts and have never been made to feel this way before. I looked the school's history up and last school year, teachers were threatening to to go on strike for wages and treatment. I feel sick to my stomach because I'm in a year long contract. This P has been the center of many union investigations and she's still there. I honestly just want to resign and look else where. The school climate is awful. I'm worried about complications against my credential if I resign. I didn't sign up for this craziness and I'm not just being a complainer. There is some crazy stuff going on at this school. And I've worked with difficult staff and admin in the past and have always managed to stay out of the drama, but I don't think I can do this. I am so unhappy and stressed out. We've already had a union meeting about everything going on since school has started. I just wanted to add that I have taught lower elementary for the past 13 years and they knew that. I taught middle school 15 years ago. I accepted the position because I figured that the lead would guide me a little in the beginning. It turns out, she hasn't even been teaching for a year and isn't really sure what she's doing either. She is a multiple subject teacher as well. The school is a K-8 charter within the district. So any single subject ELA or ELD teachers teachers out there who can offer some guidance in lesson planning, please help! They don't really use the curriculum. Anything is appreciated at this point. Has an one ever left while in a contract? If so, what were the ramifications?
    Just wanted to vent.....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Aug 27, 2017

I'm really sorry to hear that you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Sounds like the P has a thick teflon coating on her and the culture she has created is awful. But you can't control anyone or anything, except yourself. Since there are 10 of you newbies, you should band together to discuss curriculum and collaborate as best you can. I think in situations like this where the climate is so hostile, perhaps killing with kindness can go some way - cupcakes or cookies - never goes astray. Unless all the leads and seniors are sociopaths, it's probably just the toxic school culture that is causing them to be so unkind and negative; they probably aren't like that to this degree outside of school. At least, they can't all be.

I would also be recording the details of any negative conversations or situations where you have felt intimidated or bullied, it may be useful in the future.

4. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

Thank you rpan. I have been writing things down just in case I need it in the near future. I wish things were different. I don't even want to go to work in the morning. It's really sad. I'm always polite and say "hello" to everyone, but this is absolutely out of control.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Habitué

Aug 27, 2017

From your description, I'd recommend that the P can go jump in a lake! Hey, if the weather's still hot, it might cool the P off! Because you have experience in teaching, if you can't get assistance, go with your instinct. Concentrate on the students. If your evaluations are goofy, just teach the way you know how to teach. Success in the classroom will hopefully override any P ridicule.

MEMO, anon55 and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Aug 27, 2017

Yup... which is why a school desperately accepts teachers I pause and say "I need time to think about it,'' that way you can do some last minute research if needed. The schools think that it's all about them... sorry! You as a teacher need to decide if you'd be happy there as well. There can be red flags on both sides. One of the schools in my area just hired 23 new teachers... YIKES! I would say be happy that you at least have decent kids and focus on them. If you decide to look elsewhere, that's your choice, but I wouldn't jump ship unless you have something prepared. And you can just continue to look around for your person. I guarantee there are others in the building who would like a supportive, happy face just as much as you do.
    :)
    And you can always vent here! This is a community if you can't get it elsewhere!

MEMO, Obadiah and a2z like this.
  7. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

Thank you for the the pep talk. I can handle the students, but the lack of support and bullying by the P is so intimidating. She was the AP for a year and was promoted to new P last year. That's why 10 senior teachers resigned. I'm a probation 1 teacher at this district but am not a new teacher. I've been in the field for 16 years. This IS NOT my dream district!! I'm really trying to be positive here guys but it's really hard!! I seriously want to resign. I've lost 10 lbs. from all the stress and can't sleep. I wasn't even given a hand book on contracts, medical benefits or anything because those positions were not filled at the time of my hire. Feeling defeated and depressed because I need a job and I don't want to have my credential compromised.

MEMO likes this.
  8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Aug 27, 2017

Does your contract state that you must stay until the end of the school year? When I worked at a charter, we had a contract, but the terms of the contract stated that we were at-will employees who could either be forced to leave at any time or leave voluntarily at any time - even before the school year was over. I left in December of my second year.

yellowdaisies and Leaborb192 like this.
  9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2017

Can I state the obvious? Go ask your principal for help!

That's what they are there for. They are the academic leader of your building! Plus, nothing makes a controlling leader happier than when you ask how to meet their expectations. Don't just say what should I do? Take something from one of the observations and ask how you can grow in this area.

Sounds like everyone is at their whits end but you shouldn't be since you just met this person and she hasn't done anything to you yet.

a2z and DAH like this.
  10. rpan

rpan Comrade

Aug 28, 2017

Any chance you can get a medical reason to be released from your contract without penalty? Losing 10 pounds and not sleeping sounds like you need a mental break from this place. I think it's your right to be informed and given the contract and info on benefits.

MEMO likes this.
  11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 29, 2017

Fate has a way of intervening. Our P got cancer and had to leave mid-year. Maybe something like that will happen. Good luck.

anon55 likes this.
  12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2017

[​IMG]

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2017

I guess I'm a little unclear. In your original post, you mention needing help with stuff like lesson planning. As a person with sixteen years of experience in the field (were you not a teacher for all sixteen years), why would you need so much support when it comes to lesson planning?

a2z likes this.
  14. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 29, 2017

[QUOTE="alp123, .
    • She is very hostile, unapproachable, and rules with an iron fist.
    • no one one to turn to for
    • the teachers that remain tell us to "figure it out" or 'look it up".
    • no guidance,
    • teachers are rude to us newbies, won't help us and all in all, have very negative attitudes.
    • I honestly just want to resign and look else where.
    • The school climate is awful.
    • I'm worried about complications against my credential if I resign. I didn't sign up for this .
    • I am so unhappy and stressed out. [/QUOTE]

DON'T RESIGN, ALP!
    You signed a ONE YEAR CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT!
    One year is not that long--I don't mean to sound insensitive--but it'll be over before you know it.

Make the best of it. You have lots of good experience. Stop thinking, "this is horrible, I hate it!" That will make things worse. Find the good things and MAGNIFY THEM. Adjust your attitude accordingly, and you can get through it with a smile.

"THE PRINCIPAL" is THE BOSS!--do what SHE TELLS YOU TO DO, and how she tells you to do it...THAT'S WHO YOU ARE TO LISTEN TO.
    NOT the disgruntled teachers who don't like her and never have.
    They're not the boss! And if I were you, I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THEM as much as possible.

The reality is, things don't always go the way we would like them to. If this were a substitute position, you could call in the morning and cancel, BUT YOU SIGNED A CONTRACT!

We're BIG KIDS now, and at some point in our lives, we have to MAN-UP, GRIN-AND-BEAR-IT, roll with the punches...however you want to put it.

When the year is over, you'll be free to leave, stronger for it. Some problems are "CHARACTER BUILDERS," and I would say this is one of them.

Stick with it; there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    asyakob likes this.
  15. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 29, 2017

[QUOTE="Milsey,
    • Our P got cancer and had to leave mid-year.
    • Maybe something like that will happen. .[/QUOTE]
    Ooh Milsey....:openmouth: sister...noooooo.

AlwaysAttend and catnfiddle like this.
  16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2017

Disgusting.

a2z, Caesar753 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 29, 2017

After reading your post twice, I have to ask - are you sure this is all because of the P? Have you actually experienced her being hostile or unapproachable or violating contracts (you mentioned difficulties with the union)? Is there reason to fear her? Or could this come from the mouths of some very negative, powerful teachers who love to complain?

Bella mentioned the at will contract - that was my first thought, except then you mentioned union meetings. I've worked at two charters, but neither were part of the union. So your charter may have a very different contract than I'm used to.

Caesar753, a2z and AlwaysAttend like this.
  18. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

I taught 2nd grade a private school. They knew that upon hire. I have a supplemental in English, but I have never taught it as a single subject. The "lead" is a brand new teacher who also taught elementary. She has been there for 8 months. Because so many teachers resigned, she was made lead and is doing what she can to guide me.

19. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

My school is a charter dependent on the district. She's a new P.

20. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

You can't talk to her. I've witnessed and it. A question was asked at a PD by a new teacher and her response was..."You need to go look that up!"? Is that necessary? It was on topic....

MEMO likes this.
  21. alp123

alp123 Rookie

Aug 30, 2017

This is a district charter. :(