How's your relationship w/admin?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Apr 15, 2016

Just curious: how well do you get along with your admin? Are they approachable? Do you avoid them at all costs? Do you communicate with them more via email rather than in person?

I'm ending year three in my AP position and I feel like I've built some really strong relationships with my team (which consists of 32 teachers), but there are always 1 or 2 people who never seem to warm up to you (for whatever reason).

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Apr 15, 2016

Avoid at all costs. Completely unapproachable. Just happy I can stick to my niche in the school.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2016

Excellent relationship. I am treated as a valued employee and the administration respects our input. I wonder if it's because I am in a small private religious school?

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2016

Excellent, and I hold her in the highest regards.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 15, 2016

Excellent relationship but I take care not to be too present. I don't want to bother her because she's very busy. If it's not urgent, I send an email. I will say some teachers are not happy with her, but I think you will never get everyone to like you all the time.

Numberspell and YoungTeacherGuy like this.
  7. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Apr 15, 2016

I avoid the super at all costs. Not very approachable. Sometimes he acts like he loves you and other times like he hates you, so I lay low. My P is so-so. Sometimes I go all week without even carrying on a conversation with her, and we're a small school. She kind of has her favorites, and I'm not one of them, lol. If you're not a favorite, you receive zero praise for your accomplishments. I'm talking zero. My team's scores were the highest in the elementary, and we didn't so much as get a good job. :( I'm an outsider looking in, so I don't know all the details, but she lets some people get away with a lot. We've been told four times this year to not wear jeans, and some teachers keep doing it. Kids are left unattended by some, etc.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

Apr 15, 2016

Ain't it the truth!

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 15, 2016

Great principal and vice principal. This has changed every 4 years or so, principal moves on and VP takes over. They have all been very approachable and helpful to the teachers. Of course, not all teachers at my site have positive things to say about them.

10. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 15, 2016

I get along really well with my P. She is super supportive and willing to give me as many opportunities for leadership experience as possible so I can move into an admin role.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Apr 15, 2016

We don't agree on everything, but they're both approachable. It's a small school, so avoidance is hard.

12. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

Apr 15, 2016

Our principal is new and has struggled. The way our building is structured, I don't see or talk to him much. I have more contact with the vice-principal who is my grade level administrator and I adore her. She's present, understanding, and super supportive. If we misstep, she might talk to us privately, but she always, always has our back in front of students.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 15, 2016

I respect both our P and AP and would say I have a decent professional relationship with both. The AP is significantly more approachable and I'm much more comfortable with her. I would say that most, if not all of my fellow teachers feel the same way. The cynic in me wonders if my admin team has purposely set it up this way so that the AP can deal with the teachers while the P is free to get things done. I honestly don't go to my admin for much. Our psych requested that they come to our weekly sped team meetings so they know what's going on in our department. Sometimes just one of them will come, and the atmosphere is noticeably more relaxed/comfortable when it's just the AP. The P is much more serious and often hard to read. She's my evaluator and my evaluations are good; if I had the AP instead I feel that I would have no idea how my P feels about me because she's so difficult to read. A lot of people don't like that's she's not "warm fuzzy" but personally that doesn't bother me. I can mostly stay under the radar and get my job done and I'm happy with that setup. Our AP also runs our RtI team and I'm on that, and I'm on leadership team which meets once a month. If it weren't for these meetings, I could honestly probably go weeks without seeing and/or talking to either of them. I think both of them would say I'm a good employee but we are certainly not "friends." One of my teammates is literally drinking buddies with both the P and AP and that bothers me a lot. I don't trust this teammate very much because of that; I always worry what she's telling them.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

Apr 16, 2016

What sparked this thread is a conversation I had with one of my instructional aides (who is also a friend from high school and a parent at my site). She said, "I wonder if he (referring to my principal) minds that he's bad cop and you're good cop?"

I didn't verbally respond--I just smiled.

It did get me thinking, though: is that really how people view us?

otterpop likes this.
  15. Obadiah

Obadiah Devotee

Apr 16, 2016

I've worked with several P's, but one in particular I remember as being the most supportive. He would look for and mention areas in which we excelled as teachers, and I've noticed that over the years unconsciously those became the areas I pushed even harder to excel in. He was always supportive and instructing as needed. I also remember my third year of teaching, I had a P who probably was the least supportive. After viewing a lesson, he sat in the front of the room and told me and the entire class what a terrible job I did teaching that lesson. But YoungTeacherGuy, to be honest, in reading your posts, I've often thought any teacher who has you as an administrator is very, very fortunate. You are concerned for the students and your team of teachers and that's what counts.

catnfiddle likes this.
  16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 16, 2016

I've known my P and AP since they were a guidance counselor and fellow ELA teacher, respectively. They are an integral part of my teaching team and provide amazing support as well as camaraderie. P is an expert at navigating school policy, and AP is the curriculum maven. I know I rely upon them for help and honest feedback, and I trust them as much as I like them.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2016

My current principal is exceptional; he is very approachable and treats his staff with respect. He expresses his appreciation of all that we do. He is very highly regarded in the school board for his leadership style. Our VP is a little reserved, and I'm not quite as comfortable with her. She's on maternity leave right now and her replacement is stellar.This is her first admin position and she came to us straight from a grade 8 classroom; if we were teaching partners, I know that we would be good friends.

I'm very comfortable with both of them, but tend not to bug them with the little stuff. They know, then, that if I do need their ear, it's something that's really important to me.

18. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 16, 2016

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Apr 16, 2016

We have new administration, and let's just say that it has been a very tough year for everyone....

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2016

Awesome. He knows he can count on me and I've been a bit of a sounding board for him at times. I can talk to him about concerns, needs, etc. he knows who I am as an educator and reviews my highly in observations and end of year evals.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Apr 16, 2016

This is how my relationships are. I like to keep them in the loop, but try to only approach them about something when it is really important to me. I have been able to be quite honest about my desire to leave our division to work in one closer to home, and everyone has been very supportive (including the superintendent).

MrsC and otterpop like this.