How's everyone's academic prep going?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Aliceacc, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

Terrence! Don't forget to eat and sleep! I don't think my math teacher did half that much work. No wonder I was half asleep in Math class.

2. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

I've been putting together things for my kids to use in stations (Same as centers, but with 4th graders, I have to make it sound cool.). I'm reading Teaching With Love and Logic and will be starting Rafe Esquith's new book Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire. (I LOVED his first one-There Are No Shortcuts!) I've also been trying to rest and just have some Me Time.

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

I have been busy myself. I have made a chart containing all of the tests and nine weeks tests to give each student. We can not send the tests home with the students. I teach 8th grade and they have a habit of not bringing back their tests. So I will place these in their signed paper folder and the other side is for papers to remain at home. I also made a BOOM games with the Periodic table elements. I also have all my tests made and my notes and student notes. I made a binder with dividers: objectves, bell ringers (questions and answers dated and for the whole year), student notes, teacher notes, tests, and keys. ;)

4. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Oh, I forgot I made a Jeopardy game for review. I also made a hangman game for review. Jeopardy not as hard as I thought it would be to make.

5. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I was just hired as a fifth grade teacher. I only have one teacher's edition for reading, but I don't have any of the other ones. I start back to school in two weeks and I haven't planned out any lessons yet. I don't know what to do to get started. My district follows a pacing calendar so I really have to wait until I see that to plot out my lessons. I'm getting scared and frustrated after reading all the things you guys are getting done. What can I do to get started if I don't have all my Teacher editions??

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

Heathermeister, I'd vote for bugging your colleagues to see if you can have a peek at theirs.

7. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

I agree, planning this way really helps the rest of the year become effective, much less stressful, much less exhausting, and less time-consuming.

Everyone is different though.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Heathermeister,

You can still look at the students editions if you have them, figure how you're going to explain the matrial, what homework you want to give on the topics, and so on.

Even if all you become familiar with is what's covered in that course, it will be a good thing when you start teaching; you'll have some idea of the scope.

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 20, 2007

What I've Accomplished:
    Created a Blog for my Classroom chockful of links for student use.

Partially complete with a curriculum I made for my tutorial class. This class was new last year and the kids didn't see it as a class because it was taking the place of the previous years study hall period. They will not have to wonder this year if it is a class. I have a vocabulary word, warm up exercise, mini-lesson subject, and weekly quiz all planned out. I have created 11 of the 30 quizzes. I still need to finish those up. Then, plan out the mini-lessons a little further. I need to work on what I'll be doing with the daily vocabulary word. The last thing I need to do is plan about 20 week-long activities/lessons to cover 20 typically weak math areas. This will be about 15 minutes of the daily lesson and I want them to be largely hands-on or otherwise motivating and effective.

I customized a calendar template for the school year with state test and district holidays filled in.

I was hired to plan out the curriculum for the new textbook adoption with other teachers so that is in progress.

I've planned my classroom out physically.

I made a few posters, including one with all the standards so I can just put a clothespin next to the ones we are working on rather than write them out as my administrator requires us to show what we are doing.

I still want to really plan out my 1st semester at least for my three regular periods before school starts.

I also want to get in and finish organizing my file cabinet before school begins.

I need to plan the actual procedures of the classroom because I am changing a lot since last year.

10. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I spent the first week of June working on a district curriculum committee and aligning our state standards to our curriculum as well as creating a curriculum map for the year. So, I have my curriculum mapped out, but still need to fine tune it and find stuff for Social Studies.
    At home I have read The Art of Teaching Writing (Calkins), A Handbook for Classroom Instruction that Works (Marzano) and A Handbook for Classroom Management that Works (Marzano). I'm changing grade levels so I needed to find ideas to use with 3rd graders.
    I have searched the web and found tons of information on activities for Centers and other ideas. I also rebuilt my rocking chair.
    Next, I need to recover my pillows for the reading area and start pulling things together. I have posters to make, plans to write and a classroom management plan to get ready for. I haven't even been into my room yet because we couldn't get our keys until July 9th and then the cleaning hadn't been done. We can't come in and start working until that is finished and we have no idea when that will be.
    I have a new teacher orientation to get ready for, but luckily that is mostly done and all I have to do is familiarize myself with it and teach it.
    I'm feeling like I'm under extra pressure this year because my classroom is going to be a model classroom and I'll be working toward becoming a Teacher Coach. I'm also getting a student teacher the 2nd quarter. So, I need to make sure things are working smoothly.
    I feel like I've done a lot, but there is still so much to do and Back to School Night is August 9th with school starting August 10th. I will say that I feel more prepared this year than I have in the past.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

Don't panic, Heather; many teachers are hired at the last minute. Check your state standards to see what you will likely be teaching, and then you will be familiar with that when you get your pacing calendar.

Read up on kid's lit if you need to; there are lots of great trade books fifth graders will love, and it will help if you are familiar with them.

Plan your bulletin boards and have these materials ready to go. They do not have to be elaborate; I often incorporate some "decorating" time in to the first day of school, because the kids love to help.

Plan getting to know you activities for the first day of school. Since you will be new, perhaps the fifth graders could help you get to know the school!

Make sure your home/apartment is organized and easy to maintain for those first hectic weeks.

Enjoy! :)

12. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Agh! You all are making me stress! I can't do much prep until I get my curriculum, which I can't get until I attend New Teacher Academy the week after next.

I have written my syllabus, although I'll have to go back and make some changes once I get my curriculum. And I've worked out some of the "generic" stuff that is more administrative than instructional.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

Florida's state dept of education doesn't post content standards on the Web site? You could at least get a start that way.

14. Yen

Yen Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I've really dug in and spent this last week working like crazy to get my room together (we start school August 2).
    This is my first year in first grade and I feel like everything needs to be just right. I didn't actually realize how much I've gotten done this week until now when I sat down to relax. My room is so cute and welcoming! I'm very proud of myself. And I am being a nut and trying to get things super organized, but that just means more time for me throughout the school year. :)

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 20, 2007

I'm switching to 3rd grade so I have lots to do this year. Much different from 5th.

I'm in the middle of reading Guiding Readers and Writers, Morning Meeting, Morning Meeting Activities, and Word Work. I'm already inspired by all of them. I read through the first units in my phonics, reading, and social studies texts.

I have purchased all the word work accessories I will need for 3rd and have set up about 20 word and math center activities. I sorted through all my 5th grade books and took out the easiest ones that I can use next year. I purchased the rest of the books I'll need for 3rd and set up the library. I rearranged all the shelving in the room to accommodate a word wall and morning calendar area.

I planned about 6 weeks of science lessons, just have to make the copies and OHs. I typed out the word wall words and have to print them next week.

I worked in the room twice. I'll go in on Tuesday to assess an incoming student and plan to set up the word wall that day. I need to get an easel. Most of my other ordered items have been delivered and are in my room.

16. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

I have my whole year mapped out. I have actual day-to-day plans done for the first six weeks. I still need to do the remaining grading periods. What I really need to do, and what I'm starting to stress about, is figure out what novel to teach in the 5th six weeks.

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

Absolutely fine. :) Reading, writing, and science are almost entirely complete. :)

I've also been in the classroom 3 times already.

18. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

I told a friend that I was working on things for my centers. She thought I said "sinners" and said "Don't you think you should give the kids a chance first?" :)

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 21, 2007

That is HILARIOUS!:D

20. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

Yes, Grammy Teacher. I hate to talk about a teacher, but...in my 7th grade pre-algebra class, the teacher sat at his desk not saying a word while the boys thoroughly harrassed the girls with rude comments all period...very uncomfortable environment...by the 3rd trimester my grades had gone from A's to D's. Then my 8th grade algebra teacher wouldn't even look at me. I'd ask her for help daily for about three months, she'd always look away from me and say, "I can't help you right now" then she'd go help someone else. Finally, I just gave up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.