How would you teach first/second combo class

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teacher2binbh, Oct 3, 2012.

1. teacher2binbh

teacher2binbh Rookie

Oct 3, 2012

Just wondering how you would teach a first/second combo class? How would your class look and would your behavioral management system look the same throughout?

3. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 3, 2012

To be fair, I have not taught a combo class. If I did, I would have the same behavioral system throughout. Chances are something will come up between a 1st and 2nd grader and you want consequences to be consistent. In terms of class instruction I would do a lot of combined lessons for social sciences, events, and special lessons. Math, spelling, reading, and writing would be separated.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2012

Reading would be all Daily 5.
    Spelling in my room is all individual so nothing would change.

1st and 2nd grade math is quite similar. We would be on the same topics but with different expectations. For instance, this week my 2nd graders are learning perimeter. I would have 2nd graders using 2 digit numbers and 1st graders 1 digit.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2012

I have taught a 1-2 combo. I do everything together. It totally works!

Reading is done in a Daily 5 style, or Reader's Workshop. Everyone reads their own books independently and meets in leveled groups for guided reading. The guided reading groups can consist of first and second graders at the same level (high, low, etc.)

Writer's workshop is done all together. For some assignments I would say that first graders write X number of sentences, and second graders write X more number of sentences. Otherwise, we do the same thing. Second graders can and will write more, but they will take as long as first graders who write less. It all works out. Do whole group projects, mini-lessons, and student published books. Do whole class books that everyone makes a page in at the start of the year.

In math, I teach whole class mini-lessons to everyone. I also do half- and - half math lessons while the other kids are working indepndently. I do centers and math stations, and small pull out groups. We work a lot on single digit addition and subtraction, except that I expect second graders to move into multiple digits and regrouping. I do that in small groups. Otherwise, the math is similar and they can play and work together for games and many activities.

I do science, social studies, read aloud, social skills, art, etc. all together. In fact, I rarely, rarely would call kids by "First Grade" or "Second Grade." I don't like the power differential and highlighting that. Instead, I just refer to everyone as my class. Once in awhile I dismiss kids by age, or ask them to do different things---- however, there are always kids of the younger grade who are capable enough to do the work of the higher grade, so it's never completely divided down the middle. I also allow the older kids who are lower or have IEPs to do the work of the younger kids. It evens everyone out and there soon is no issue between the two grades. The kids don't notice and they all play and work together.