How to teach from a textbook when you don't have a class set?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jpablot, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Dec 30, 2013

So my school doesn't have a set time in our schedule for social studies (5th grade) and I wanted to start focusing more on teaching some anyway. So I have a social studies book from my internship I wanted to teach from but I don't have a class set. Is there any good way to teach from a textbook without having a class set?

3. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 30, 2013

Do you have a document camera? If not you can always scan the pages and show them via projector.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

Might that be a violation of copyright or some other law?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Aficionado

Dec 30, 2013

Do you HAVE to teach from a textbook? Fifth grade social studies... I'm guessing you're either studying world culture or US History up to the Civil War? There's so much fabulous stuff out there that you could use that isn't a textbook and that would engage your kids more. I hate using textbooks because they really don't do anything to interest the kids.

6. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Dec 31, 2013

I agree - use a document camera to present the text to the kids if possible. Textbooks can be a stepping off place for student learning and teacher planning. Kids may not be interested in textbooks but they are part of our educational system and a tool that can be utilized well especially under your circumstances.
    Do what you feel comfortable with.

7. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 31, 2013

Notes off of the board............good time to get them started learning how to take notes.

;)