How to teach colors in kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by NYteach, Aug 6, 2008.

1. NYteach

NYteach Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Hello, this is my first full year teaching kindergarten. I am creating an outline for the year and I am having trouble determining how to teach colors. I was thinking about starting with orange in October. Would you spend a week? I mean for a week I would practice poetry at circle time related to orange and focus crafts on orange. Now, would you introduce another color the following week? or take a week off? What color next, yellow? Can someone please give me some feedback......

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

I introduce red the first week of school and then 2 colors a week until we learn them all. I have color songs similar to those found on Frogstreet Press on posters. I introduce the color, sing the song several times (with the kids joining in) and we look for things that are that color around the room. We have an art activity related to the color that day or the next. On day 2 of the color we review the song a few times and practice spelling it (spelling is in the song) and make a list of things that are/can be the color. In the science center while we are learning colors there is a poster that says, for example, Red / Not Red at the top with a line. If a child is in that center they look through magazines/grocery ads and cut out at least 3 things that belong in each group. We also add the color word to the word wall. Each day we review all of the previous color songs and add the new one as needed. Anytime we have downtime in the hall we whisper-sing the color songs. I also have song/poetry folders and I have a copy of all the songs in the folder so they can do various activities with them at school and when they take them home.

4. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I also start teaching colors the few weeks of K. The kids seem to pick it up quickly (1/2 already know their colors before they begin K). We sing color songs, sort by colors, play I Spy using our colors, etc.

5. NYteach

NYteach Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Ok, that helps a lot. My school does the Gingerbread theme for the first week back to school-its very cute. So I'm thinking the second week I can start with red which makes more sense since the theme is apples. I really dont have an idea how long all the color activites and plans will last, 2 days or a week. I guess I really need to write down my plans....
    Thank you for your feedback!

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2008

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

I didn't really even think kindergarteners needed to be taught colors. I have them up in my room, though, so they can look to see how to spell the words.

I have a lot to learn!

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

ILOVEthegummy bears song/activity....It is so great b/c my first shape of the year is circle(pennies), and my first theme is bears! :woot:

9. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

I have never formally taught colors. In 12 years of teaching (low income kids) I probably have had less than 5 kids that didn't know colors. Some kids will mix up a few especially black/brown and blue/purple, but overall they come in knowing colors. Those that don't know colors seem to pick up on them just by doing other class activities. I also have them posted so that they can spell the colors.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

I don't "formally" teach colors, but we do sing color songs and do activities with certain colors for the first few weeks of school...I usually start with red the first day of school. I also have a little paper where they trace the word and everything on the paper is colored in red...I usually just do one color a day since most of the kids already know them!

11. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

Like some of the others have said, we also do not formally teach the actual colors. Throughout the year they are classifying objects by color all the time, we do rainbow letters when they are learning to form the letters of the alphabet, their tables and groups are color coded, and they are surrounded by colors. What we do is we teach the color words around the time of rainbows/st. pattys etc. We find this to be successful because most if not all recognize the colors before they come to K, once they are developmentally ready, we teach them how to spell them and by the end of the year they are using the color words in their writing. One of their favorite things is an activity where we sing Rainbow of Colors (Greg and Steve I believe) and at first they point to objects of the color. Then we move on to color word cards and they have to hold up the correct color word. Its a lot of fun. :)

12. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 7, 2008

I teach ESL/low-income public pre-k and NONE of my kids come in knowing ANY colors. I'm lucky if I get one kid who knows one color. We spend 2 weeks on each color. I have a page on my website that explains how I teach colors. When our kids go to kindergarten they know their colors, but then there are all those kids who didn't go to pre-k and they don't know their colors so our kinder teachers have to teach it all over again. I think it all depends on your population.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

Most of my students (and many are low-income) come in knowing their colors. But we start off the year with "color days." They are so much fun and I like to start the year with something that most students are familiar with. We focus on a different color each day. Students are encouraged to wear that color to school. I do a read-aloud focusing on the color, we have a small take-home book to read together and color, we eat a snack that is that color (I have parents sign up to send them in at orientation), and we do a page in our "Color Monster" book (I have no idea where this came from because the K teachers at my school have been doing it long before I showed up.) Also, our play-doh center is that color. I love our color days! We also let the rest of the staff about our color days and many of them dress in the appropriate color each day.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 7, 2008

Most of my kids can identify colors, but I want them to be able to spell them as well. It is also a big help to them to see all the shades of a color and practice classifying objects according to color.

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2008

I think whether the students know or don't know colors, it's a great, simple topic to start the year off with because it's so simple, which is a help while you're focusing on teaching the students procedures and routines.

16. NYteach

NYteach Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

All the posts make sense. My tables and groups are color coded as well. I taught K summer school and they all know the colors but focusing on the color poetry will help them to spell the color words....So I guess a color a day along with the FrogStreet Press mini color readers and a color craft a day will do.

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

A great way for my "pre K" (sorry not quite K) to learn colors before Kinder is to make a poster of each color full of glued art supplies.

Over the years I have made the posters cut outs of items that match the color (red in cut out of apples, yellow in bannana shape....), or crayons, or arches of a rainbow or whatever else strikes my fancy. But lately they have just been in the shape of the poster board rectangle.

So we write the word in huge letters on the pboard, then we mix a giant tub of multi colored feathers, pom poms, colored noodles and other shrapnel together. As the children fish out an item they name the color and glue it to the poster, I usually make the posters across the room initially so we can slow them down. As the children have all had a chance to name the color then the project shifts from lesson to sorting. If I know who doesn't know the colors already, I stand by them and name the colors as they glue them down, talk about the colors, have them talk about the colors so on.

When all the posters are done, we hang them. Just like many of your posters for spelling the word.

We just made ours.

In the beginning of making them, or if I saw a lot of people in class that didn't know colors you can make each color's poster last longer.

I have also seen this done with contact paper and posted like a stained glass window.

18. NYteach

NYteach Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Now that sounds like FUN! They would be thrilled to see their artwork displayed! I'm thinking about having a week of colorful fun and creating a color book. Last year we did a page for each of the 8 colors in the crayon box. Red is a ladybug, Orange is a cat.....and each page was done tracing and cutting patterns.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 8, 2008

yep, in years when the children don't come knowing the colors we do that first (w/o so much cutting since are little pre k's) and then once we have a hint as to what the answers are we jump in the pile of scraps. sometimes it is as big as a wading pool!!

20. NYteach

NYteach Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Your website is fantastic! Thanks

21. AlesiaN

AlesiaN New Member

Feb 17, 2016

Hi, I have practiced these great activities for kindergarten and preschool kids. More than 50 worksheets to learn colors basic colors in an active way. It covers: black, white, purple, blue, gray, brown, red, orange, yellow, and green and include clipping activity, color activity, promote visual discrimination skills and more!

http://www.funtasticsimon.com/articles/learning-colors-with-kids/