How to Survive on a Teacher's Salary

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by vivalavida, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 28, 2012

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

Personally, I've never found it hard to live on a teacher's salary. As a single teacher, I was debt free until I bought my house, which is something I consider good debt. I paid for my masters degree, bought a new car, and had everything I needed and most of what I want.

When I got married, it was more difficult since I was supporting two people . . . one of whom thought money grew on trees. I'm on my own again now, and I'd forgotten how far my salary went with only one person to support.

Living within your means is a matter of priorities.

4. linswin23

linswin23 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

Nice article! Very encouraging to see that guy making it in this world.

I have to agree with you, Ima. This is the "real money" I've made in my life. I've worked since I was 16 in jobs ranging from fast food to babysitting to retail. All of those pay so little that I feel proud to earn what I make. Yes, I know that we SHOULD be paid more, but I knew how much I was going to make before I got into this profession. There is also room for raises and stipends in this profession, which is something I really look forward to. It encourages me to earn my Master's degree or even higher.

I think that as long as you are not getting in a large amount of debt and it's definitely easy and comfortable to live on a teacher's salary.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

I don't have trouble living on what I earn. In fact, I earn 1/2 here in Costa Rica and living expenses are the same as what I was paying in the USA. I live with my boyfriend so we split everything and our money goes far enough for us to live happily, go on once a month vacations to the beach or volcanoes, eat out once every other week and buy lots of booze.

I'm content!

6. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jun 28, 2012

I am very thankful...we are very financially healthy and don't have the stress so many people my age do of paying on cars, college loans, and so forth. We live a wonderful life. I know things could change in an instant, so I don't get "caught up in it" or let it define me, but right now we're in a great place.

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

Living on a teachers salary isn't so bad when there are two teachers in the house. The key is, be married, multiple salaries helps.
    When you have student loan debt coming out of your ears, one teachers salary is not enough.

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

This is what I'm worried about. I'm going to end up graduating with around $20,000 in student loans. On the plus side, $6,000 of that is going to be the TEACH grant, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. If I can get a job in a good school district I'm not going to sacrifice that to teach in a low-performing school just because of the TEACH grant.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

$20,000 in students loans and you are worried. haha, you should be just fine. My bachelors was double that, and I have added 2 Masters to it now in loans.

10. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jun 28, 2012

It's great reading all of your positive responses! I can't quite share my own experiences since I am still a student. However, I feel as though people seem to have a lot of negative ideas regarding the "teacher's salary." (Not necessarily teachers, but just people in general). For example, I've always grown up with the idea that being a teacher wasn't "good enough" for that reason. It now bothers me that people would put those ideas into my head. Of course being a teacher is an incredibly important profession! I've come to realize that your perspective makes all the difference. It's way more important to love what you do than buy fancy things! So, I hope I have that attitude and budget wisely when I become a teacher :) I really enjoy reading what you all have to say! Thanks!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

I don't think 20,000 of debt would be "just fine" to pay back. Debt is debt.
    I agree with other posters-the key is to live within your means.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 28, 2012

I'm with callmebob, it is difficult to live on a teacher's salary when you have mountains of student loan debt. I have so many loans that I cannot afford to live on my own. I'm one of those who flew from the nest and then came right back. Hopefully, after a few years of paying them off, my credit score will bounce back and I'll have some savings to help me move into my own place.

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2012

It's all about living within your means and being smart with money. Personally, I feel like teachers have an advantage over so many other professions because the annual salary can be supplemented with seasonal employment in the summer and tutoring.

14. linswin23

linswin23 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

Haha, awesome! :D

15. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

Seasonal employment. I worked for the first time this summer teaching summer school. We didn't actually need the money this year (first time I could say that) since my wife just got an amazing promotion. I just saw it as an opportunity to grab some easy money working only a couple hours a day to teach summer school and help pay a few irregular bills. In the previous summers I have felt it quite necessary to take the time off to do things around the house and catch up on stuff that I just don't have the time or energy to do during the school year, because mentally there are only a couple breaks during the year. Weekends or even night time at home in this job don't count as a break because there is always the thought of what you have to do next just to be ready to do your job. which is unlike most jobs that you are able to just go in, work, and at at the end of the day go home. Whatever you don't get done, you can do the next day.

Mentally, we need that break during the summer. It is not the reason why I like this job. It is the reason why I can tolerate this job. Major difference. Add up all of the weekends during the regular year for jobs where people don't have to think about the work they do and it is pretty much a wash.

16. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

:lol: I know it's not a LOT, but the thought of being $20k in debt when the median HS teacher starting salary around here is $50k scares the crap out of me. Those numbers are too close for comfort.

Plus, I'm hoping to start my master's degree ASAP. Luckily Stony Brook is renowned, yet easy on the wallet.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

$50,000 grand a year to start. My salary goal with my new career path is $50,000. If I make that amount or anything above it, I will be in financial bliss...

18. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

Oof... Also keep in mind living expenses where I live are higher than average.

Yeah, $50,000 is a very nice starting salary for a teacher, I know. After ten years, HS teachers in my area are sitting around $80,000, and after 20 years, $100,000. Hell, when my chorus teacher retired after 25 years, she was making $135,000.

And yes I realize those numbers are no longer realistic.

19. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

$50k starting salary and $20k of debt is fine if you spend your money wisely and can move out of NYC to a bordering state like NJ and commute. You would save a lot of money. I have more debt than that just for a year of grad school and I managed to pay off a lot this year. I'm trying to get mine paid off in a few years.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

I've been teaching almost twenty years and I don't make 50k yet.

21. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 28, 2012

I am doings fine on a catholic school teachers salary, which translate to hardly any money with a great deal of student loans from my masters and under grad. I just made a budget and stick to it, I am able to put some money away every month and still enjoy myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.