How to remember the difference between b and d

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Guest, May 2, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

May 2, 2003

My son is 5 1/2 years old and is in kindergarten.

He has trouble differentiating between b and d (lowercase only). He has trouble when he is writing and reading the letters.

Can anyone tell me if there is a little trick to help kids remember the difference?

Thanks for your help.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2003

'Make a bed' with your fists- Palms toward you, push fists together and put thumbs up as 'bedposts'- The left fist now looks like a 'b' and your right fist looks like a 'd'
    Also helps in 'fancy' restaurants- your 'b' thumb points to your bread plate, your'd' thumb points to your drink!! Prevents using the wrong dinnerware!!

4. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 2, 2003

5. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 2, 2003

I had a few Kindergarten students with this same problem. We drew our 'b' and 'd' as pictures. The 'b' was a bear's belly and the 'd' was a dinosaurs back. We had fun drawing the pictures and it was mentally easier for the kids to remember with the picture/word association.

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 6, 2003

This is not an uncommon problem for this age group. Keep praticing--but don't stress out, because it is developmental.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

May 7, 2003

b and d

we write from left to right - if your son remembers to make a b - make the bat then the ball - to make a d - make the dog then the tail.
    a special ed teacher told me that once, it really works for me.

8. alameer

alameer New Member

Jun 1, 2003

Dif between b & d

Hi there,
    It's easy to let youngesters imagine that b is for a baby inside mummy's belly like b and d is like a clown's big red nose!

:D

Hope it works.
    Alameer

9. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Jun 1, 2003

b and d

yes, def. developmental. I have had second graders continue to battle with this problem. I do the " draw a bat I and then add the ball o that will make a b. I tell them to play baseball first you need a bat, then you need a ball. for d just tell them first you nee a drum o, and then you need a stick I making a d. I write it down and let them keep it with them at all times. Good luck. It is good that you are aware, but don't worry too much.