How to prepare for the FTCE General Knowledge essay portion

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by kingj25, Jan 30, 2017.

1. kingj25

kingj25 Rookie

Jan 30, 2017

Does anybody have any tips on how to prepare for the FTCE GK Essay? I have failed by 1 point, 2 points and 1 point again. I do not know what I am doing wrong, so I need some pointers on how to pass. I am not the greatest speller or grammar expert but I highly doubt I would fail because of that. Anything would help.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2017

FTCE GK is a basic skills test. Basic skills test essays are in fact scored with an eye toward correctness, or at least competence, in spelling, punctuation, grammar, and usage, so deficiencies in those skills could account for a one- to two-point shortfall. Check your official score reports carefully: the chances are good that the report features a chart with diagnostic indicators that may shed a little light.

4. kingj25

kingj25 Rookie

Jan 30, 2017

The report does not show anything useful. And am I really failing because of my weakness in grammar and spelling?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2017

Tell me what it does show. Some of these indicators can be interpreted.

6. kingj25

kingj25 Rookie

Feb 1, 2017

It just says GKE essay 58% that's it. Does not say anything I'm weak in or areas I succeeded in. Is there a amount of words that they would like written on the essay?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2017

The Score Interpretation Guide at http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/FL_ScrInterGuide.pdf tells us that the maximum raw score for the GK Essay is 12 (that's two scorers times a maximum of 6 points) and that the passing score is at least 8. 8/12 = 66.7%. Your scorers seem to have given you a total of 7 raw points: one score of 3, one score of 4. The Test Information Guide, on pages 13 and 14, lays out criteria for the various possible score points. You need two scores of 4 or better: pay attention to what the scorers want to see in order to give scores like that. With that score, if I were working with you I'd be drilling you on grammar and usage.

If you can't see what's wrong on your own, hire someone to read the test criteria and then to evaluate an essay you write in light of those criteria.

8. 1sunflower4u

1sunflower4u New Member

Feb 17, 2017

My tip would be to review the steps to a very basic 4 or 5 paragraph essay, then google FCAT sample essays from the high school level and review how those are scored. That helped me understand what kind of essay they are looking for.