How to pass the CBEST writing Section guranteed

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by mmafan007, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mmafan007

mmafan007 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

hi, my name is Hieu I am from California I have taken the CBEST test three times and can't pass the writing section. I am taking the test again but I really need to pass it this time because so I can student teach and apply to a cred. program. If I don't pass this then I have to wait next year and the next before that until I can pass the writing section can anyone please email or reply to this message and give me some tips Thanks Sincerely Hieu

3. cshelz89

cshelz89 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Hi,

I have not taken the test yet. I am in Oct and have been studying from a recommended book(Cracking the CBEST). Maybe this can help a little. Good Luck.. Where are you in Cali? I am in the Bay Area.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

That's a hard place to be, mmafan007. What have you done to prepare so far?

5. cshelz89

cshelz89 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

I actually grew up in Antioch and my hubby in Brentwood. We just moved backed from Southern Cali last year. I have just started studying for the math section. I hope I do well:(

Good luck with you!

Michelle

6. mmafan007

mmafan007 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Just looking at the study guides

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

Ah. Doing any writing?

8. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

I passed, but found it challenging - even though I got my BA in English (20 years ago).

Even though it's a hassle, take time to outline and write out your responses in the test booklet before you do any writing in the answer booklet.

Break up your answer into clear-cut paragraphs: ie) state your main point, then support it in 2 or 3 short paragraphs - each support point in its own paragraph (tie the paragraphs together by having the last sentence in one - lead to the first sentence in the next), then a final paragraph as your conclusion that clearly reflects your opening statement and touches on the support points.

In other words, consider it more technical than creative. The more creative you try to be - the further off track you might stray.
    If you're math/science minded - think of it as supporting a hypothesis.

Here's my biggest tip: Keep your sentence structure simple - this way you will avoid punctuation errors.

9. mmafan007

mmafan007 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

kind of just timing myself and I feel confident ok my writing but when it comes towards the CBEST scorers they don't agree and thats why my score brings me down

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

What's showing up in the diagnostic scores that you see in the lower left corner of the score report?

11. mmafan007

mmafan007 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Usage and Structure Conventions are the improvements I need to work on. Also, its the same results I got from all three attempts I have taken on the CBEST writing section.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2008

In other words, vocabulary, plus spelling and punctuation and correct grammar and all... those do take some work. And you might do well to work with a real live person between now and Aug. 9.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

Hieu,

It sounds like you can write a reasonable response but are just coming up short when it comes to English usage. According to the rubric, English usage is part of what is graded. I don't know if your sentences on the CBEST writing section are like the ones you used here. Many people write differently for formal and informal purposes, particular when on the internet. If your formal writing is like your writing here, that could explain the unsatisfactory score. In any case, the diagnostics on your CBEST score report indicate you should focus on English usage and IIWY that is where I would focus. I am talking about the old subject/verb/object stuff, avoiding run-on sentences, etc.