How to make kids love Social Studies??

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by darzie, Sep 15, 2007.

1. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 12, 2007

Ha. Well, I've implemented some of these ideas, and many of the kids are saying that Social Studies is their favorite subject! Quite a switch from last year! Keep those ideas coming! Thanks!

2. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 20, 2007

I agree with spinning tales. I use tons of DRAMA to teach Social Studies. The kids love it. I incorporate their name with a historical figure, such as King George Marcus-and funny enough, the kids remember this during the test!! I catch them looking at that person to recall the facts! Also, Scholastic has a book of wonderful Reader's Theatre stories about US history that my class can't get enough of!! Projects are awesome too. History is so much fun to teach, when you simply remember-how would you like it taught to you?

3. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 20, 2007

Of course, of course, I know that I like to teach the way I prefer to learn. I've been teaching for thirty years. I'm a very hands-on type teacher, but I'm new to teaching Social Studies, since I've been on a team where I haven't had to teach it. My passion is language arts, so I've been attempting to find ways to make Social Studies as interesting as I make every other subject. We are required to teach from our text, and since I like teaching outside the box, I was hoping for some ideas, and I got many. For that I am grateful. I didn't want to give you the impression that I'm an inexperienced doofus. Thanks, though.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 20, 2007

5. antique teacher

antique teacher New Member

Oct 21, 2007

They love studying The Lost Colony of Roanoke Island.
    I even went so far as to carve the "CRO" into a log as
    a hook for the lesson. They work in groups to try to solve the mystery of where did the 115 colonists disappear?

6. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Oct 21, 2007

Wow!! Is that for the first nine weeks, or the whole year??? I have 4 weeks to study the Colonies and 3 weeks to study the Revolutionary War...(with no designated time available for Social Studies throughout the day!)

7. antique teacher

antique teacher New Member

Oct 22, 2007

We are taking about 3 weeks on Roanoke.
    Ditto our district about social studies being squeezed out of the curriculum. Social studies is my favorite subject, however, so I squeeze it in/intergrate.
    Another teacher mentioned drama and I use that a lot!
    i.e. last year did one called "who wants to be a colonist?" a game show format.
    If you have to use the text, do a college bowl/jeopardy or game show after reading. My kids can tolerate the book that way.
    I'd be happy to mail you a copy of plays if you want to send me your school address.
    Barb

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 25, 2007

Sorry, I never meant to imply that you were an inexperienced doofus. (and I may add that I learn quite a bit from those too!) My passion is also the language arts, and I find Social Studies goes hand and hand with language arts. I had my students sit in a marked off square on the floor for an entire period, with a friend in a the square with them, while I taught the lesson on how the Pilgrims came to America. The students then had to write a journal entry on how they felt in this limited space. We discussed how little space there was on the Mayflower, hence the reason so many did not survive the trip.
    Have fun making Social Studies interesting!!

9. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 25, 2007

Hi TXCHR, We basically have the entire year to teach Ancient Civilizations and theories (Land Bridge, Origin Stories, etc.), Early Americans, Colonies, Revolutionary War, Economics (mixed in with the above).

10. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Oct 25, 2007

One thing I did with my 4th grade student teaching (it was on the Battle of Gettysburg) but will still work... Each member of the class was given a partner. Then each group was assigned a topic about the war to research, either a famous person, a specific battle, the weather, weaponery, things like this.. They then had to turn their research into a news article, and we created a "Battle of Gettysburg Gazzette".. We essentially re-created was going on in a newspaper! The kids loved it and it took several classes to do. It incorporates tons of skills, and they get an end result in it. It was great concept, and got me an A!!! This would work for almost any Soc. Studies topic for the older grades. Interactive, team work, and definitely not a lecture. We also created a HUGE jeopardy game based on "Pennsylvania" to review before the end of the unit test..It was great..

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 25, 2007

I do something similar but for an overview of the Civil War. Interviews with famous figures, major battles, nurses, home front efforts, new weapons and ships, etc. It does take a lot of work, but it's worth it.

12. darzie

darzie Companion

Oct 26, 2007

Do you have specific lesson plans or sites for information for that colony?