How to incorporate chapter book read aloud?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by shoreline02, Aug 13, 2016.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 13, 2016

I feel like I've been asking so many questions lately but there is such a wealth of knowledge here!

How can I incorporate a chapter book read aloud in 4th grade sci/ss. There are SO many great chapter book stories but I have no idea how to incorporate it into my classroom. Reading a chapter book isn't really in our curriculum but I think it would be beneficial for my students. A chapter a day, everyday? Perhaps before they leave my classroom? Or maybe for 5minutes after everyone is packed up? Still not sure.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2016

Do you use the CCSS? If so, does it explicitly mention which types of texts are to be read? In third grade it just said, "read grade level appropriate texts." Chapter books are certainly 4th grade appropriate. ELA is -and should be - incorporated into all areas so you could easily justify it that way. First,pick a unit (or topic) for science & social studies you want to focus on and go from there. I have no idea what you study, but if it's the Civil War, for example , look into A Soldier's Heart, by Gary Paulsen. It's written from the POV of a young boy who signs up for the war and learns what it means to be a soldier. You can find all kinds of SS connections and activities to make with that.

:)

shoreline02 likes this.
  4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 13, 2016

Reading chapter books is still VERY important in 4th grade! You can read from a historical fiction and along the way you are discussing figurative language, vocabulary, author's purpose, writing styles, connections, etc etc, - all things that they need when reading on their own and writing. And in the standards. Plus they LOVE it! So I'd suggest at least 15 minutes every day or at least 4 days.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2016

I used to just read to my kids after recess to help calm them down before we moved into the science/social studies lesson.
    I love how in today's test driven culture, we have to justify reading a book to our students. Academics aside, reading also helps students grow socially, emotionally and psychologically as well. They need to have that group time where they feel connected to each other, the story and reader. And for many, they may not even have people reading to them at home. I had ELL's so they NEEDED good reading models as often as possible.
    We want children to appreciate reading, but then are really, in a lot of ways, discouraged. We were in my District. But we did it anyway. ;)Just like snack time. OMG, our coach HATED snack time ("Oh they just ate. They can't be that hungry, if you add up all the minutes wasted, yada, yada...) He only taught for 3 years before jumping ship... yeah he's a real teaching expert. I really disliked that guy. He was so military and thought all teachers should run their classrooms like him. Too bad. LOL

shoreline02 likes this.
  6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2016

I got AMAZING growth scores. I learned quickly -- in my short years-- as long as you get those test scores, the admin leaves you alone.

Pashtun likes this.
  7. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Aug 13, 2016

Anyone ever read, "The City of Ember." I could incorporate this into both science and social studies.

miss-m likes this.
  8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 13, 2016

I have never heard of anyone having to justify a read aloud where I work.

I am using my read alouds to model a reading skill for students to apply to their independent reading.

9. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Aug 13, 2016

I LOVE City of Ember. It's the first dystopian book I remember reading. It's a whole series too, so you could encourage your kids to keep reading. Great book with definite social studies connections.

shoreline02 likes this.