How to get their attention (HELP)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by myKroom, Aug 21, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 21, 2008

Please give me some ideas on how to get the whole classes attention!!! My brain is fried...I know there is more to try I just can't think right now!

My kids all seem to have their own agenda (more so then normal)! We have only had two days of school and I'm already at a loss on what to do with them! They just don't want to listen. I feel bad because there are a few who will listen...but even acknowledging those students good choices doesn't mean anything to the others...they just keep talking or goofing off!! I hit on the rules every time we sit down! They seem like really good kids...but they just don't listen!! It's sad to say that this is only the second day and I don't know how I will get through this year! :(

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 21, 2008

I ring a bell, count, and turn the lights off.
    My grade partner is a huge guy and he does a clapping pattern with the kids to get their attention and it works. I try but I dont clap loud..

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2008

I have a chime that I use. I teach them and we model what to do when it rings. I also say 1,2,3 eyes on me and the kids say, 1,2, Eyes on you.

5. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

A couple sayings I got from this forum:

Teacher: Hocus Pocus
    Students: Everybody focus!

T.: One fish, Two fish
    S.: Red fish, blue fish!

Sometimes I count backwards: 3,2,1,0 and then I whisper a command such as "smile if you can hear me" or "put your hands on your knees". When the talkers see everyone doing the same thing they stop talking & look confused. The next time they are quicker to quiet down.

Good luck!:)

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

If you haven't tried "Power Teaching" I highly recommend the attention getting parts. Just google it for some videos on Youtube.

7. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 22, 2008

I use some of the strategies mentioned too, but my favorite one for whenever we sit down is having them follow this:

If you can hear me, put 2 hands in the air.
    If you can hear me, put 2 hands on your head.
    If you can hear me, put 2 hands on your shoulders.
    If you can hear me, put 2 fingers on your lips.
    If you can hear me, put 2 hands in your lap.

At first I say the whole thing, and do the actions for them to follow. Soon enough they know it, and I can just say, "2 hands in the air! head! shoulders! lips! lap!" and they follow.

I love this because it gives you flexibility. I can be on the other side of the room getting some papers, or not even facing them, and just say it and know that by the time I get to lap, they will be ready to go. Or if I do not feel like talking loudly over them, I can just put my hands in the air silently and go through the motions and they can follow that too. Sometimes I switch it up and add things, like 2 hands on your hips, the floor, something silly just to make sure they are paying attention. They love it.

Good luck!!!! I think it also helps to remember that the first few weeks are the hardest because we are so used to kids that have spent 10 months learning our routines. It's hard to adjust to kids who don't know aaaaanything that you expect from them. I am sure it will get better!!

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

I use some of the power teaching techniques, especially the "Class, class" attention getter. I had a great responce with it last year, and that was a bunch that had a hard time focusing. I also did hand motions and they had to do the same. It helped them focus when we shifted from morning message to calendar. The key is to require the kids to "do something" that signals to you that are beginning to change their focus to you.

9. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

To get the whole class attention I have tried many of the things above such as ringing and bell and saying freeze and putting their hands in the air. I also have tried the whole, "if you can hear my voice, touch your knees....and so on and so on..." Those are great suggestions!

You could also sing a song to the tune of twinkle twinkle little star: "Now it's time to come to the rug being quiet just like a little bug. Eyes facing forward, hands in your lap, if you see ________ (student who is behaving) give a little clap." Continue with students that are following rules. Students so want to impress you so they will be good so you will use their name in the song.

Note: As I have learned, with any attention-getter it will not work if you do an attention getter and then move on without all the kids attention. Do it over and over and over....until the kids show you they can respond the correct way.... ;-)

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

School hasn't started for us yet (and it's my first year), but I plan on using a charm/wand thing that makes a really neat sound. I'm planning on practicing (over and over again) freezing when they hear the noise. I've also used counting to five on my hand (not speaking at all). If I get to 5 I've always taken away a minute of recess. It doesn't usually get that far because they all start staying, "She's counting!"

11. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

I too would recommend Power Teaching!

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

I had never heard of the power teaching before. I just watched several of Chris Biffles videos on you tube, it is really quite interesting. Worth looking into, definitelY! :0)