How to dress.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hokiegrad1993, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Aug 14, 2018

HI! I start student teaching next week. So excited and terrified. I bought a lot of dress clothes (knee length skirts, pants, knee length dresses, cardigans, and shirts) I just want to see if there are outfits women wear that work best for teaching.

A teacher friend of mine told me she wears clothes she does not mind getting ruined. (So basically cheap dressy clothes) I can't afford to keep buying clothes throughout the year but I agree with the cheap route. I just want a few staples that are somewhat costly but durable and will last.

Any ideas of what to wear. I am student teaching 4th so I think it will be less bending over and on the floor but you never know.

3. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 14, 2018

I lived in dress pants, dressy shirts, a cardigan and ballet flats. It did the job and I still have those dress pants I bought years later.

Hokiegrad1993 likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 14, 2018

Is there a thrift store or resell shop near where you live? You can get some lovely work-appropriate clothes for decent prices that still have a lot of life left in them. And then if you get them messed up, well at least you only had a couple bucks in it.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 14, 2018

So many threads about clothes......

bella84 likes this.
  6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 14, 2018

Look on the clearance racks!

I got 10 nice knit tops at Walmart on clearance for $1 each! Cha-Ching!

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

I teach grade 1, and I've never ruined an outfit at work. I also sit on the floor and crouch down to speak with my students. I buy quality clothes and spend more money than most on my wardrobe, because I like clothes and I like dressing up for work. I wear dresses and skirts a lot and have never had a problem. I keep an apron at school for really messy activities. I've been spilled on, but clothes wash.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    bella84, flairpen, Ms.Holyoke and 2 others like this.
  8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 14, 2018

I mostly wear pants that are a little dressy but not full dress pants plus a nice shirt. I buy almost all of my teacher clothes from Loft. I wear a lot of sweaters in the winter. I also prefer to dress in layers in case of temperature changes. I teach high school, so I've never had an issue with ruining clothes. Our art teacher sometimes wears older clothes or an apron when they're doing particularly messy projects.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 14, 2018

It is the season of back to school shopping. . .

10. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Aug 14, 2018

Thanks.. I am student teaching so I plan to over dress for most of the days as I want to look professional and be remembered for job opportunities in the future. Thanks everyone :)

Ms.Holyoke and czacza like this.
  11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 14, 2018

As a science teacher, I rely on wearing pants, but I do have to dress up for certain events. I *LOVE* wearing Lularoe's Nicole dress - it is a one piece dress with a skirt that goes down to my knees and sleeves that go down to my elbow. I buy mine from Facebook groups that are selling them at a discount - so I can usually get them for $10 - $20 plus shipping. The dress can come in different fabrics but all of them are comfy, wick away sweat, and stretch enough to fit my body (I have curves). I have a collection of Nicole dresses to wear to special events and the Moms at my school constantly compliment me when I wear one (and I'm at a rich school - the Moms know how to dress). The best part is that you can throw them in the washing machine, although I would recommend you let them hang to dry them.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2018

I don’t see how people ruin clothes at work. What do they do to them?

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 14, 2018

Kids with sharpies, indelible ink, toner cartridges, kids fighting and the kids not careful about what they grab, throw, or rip. I've seen teachers fall and tear/rip clothing, and the list goes on. I have ruined many tops and sweaters with markers and gel ink pens. I'm sure I am missing many possibilities, but those were the first that popped into my head.

14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Aug 14, 2018

Paint, getting ripped, random things smeared on you, food stains, etc. At least that I know of. I always wear old clothes I don't care if they get destroyed for theater. There's so many random things that happen in theater which is just astronomical in of itself.
    I've also had random chemicals spilled on my clothing, bleach spilled on me, all sorts of fun things that required a shower in the classroom.

Backroads and Hokiegrad1993 like this.
  15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 14, 2018

Maybe I’m just extra good at removing stains, and I can sew. Maybe that’s a difference. I just started year 26, and I’ve never yet ruined any clothing.

I once dropped a black dry erase marker on a light blue shirt. I dyed it black. Good as new.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 14, 2018

I just had to go buy a bunch of new school clothes because our dress code changed from jeans any day to jeans only on Fridays. I got several pairs of really comfortable and reasonably priced dress pants at Target. We'll see if they hold up! The only clothing item I've ever ruined at school was a long skirt that got caught up in the bottom of my rolling chair and ripped. I no longer wear long skirts ;). It happens, but I don't think it's something you need to worry about so much that you buy specific clothes for the purpose of possibly ruining them.

Right now, I'm perfectly happy in my new clothes, but am concerned about the winter. I will miss wearing my jeans with tall boots. Comfortable shoes are a number one priority for me- I never wear heels. Right now flats are fine, but I don't know what I'm going to wear when there is snow on the ground. Not a fan of dresses either because I'd have to wear tights or something, which I also find to be uncomfortable.

17. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Aug 15, 2018

I think we might be the same person, although I mostly wear pants!

I view my clothing (and shoes!) as an investment, so I'm always wearing pricier pieces to work. I also like sitting on the floor and doing crafty things with my class and nothing of mine has ever been ruined.

MissScrimmage likes this.
  18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2018

Yeah, no. Other than a very random Sharpie incident (which has maybe been once or twice in my career!), these other things just don’t happen to me, or quite frankly to my teacher friends. Where are you working with kids throwing things and teachers falling to the extent that it causes wardrobe concerns? I’d be more concerned about overall safety.

19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 15, 2018

The only time I had my clothes ruined was when I had a student grab the collar of my shirt and ripped it from shoulder to halfway down my torso. Thankfully I ALWAYS wear a tank top underneath. (But I work with students with some pretty aggressive behaviors so this isn't the norm).

I really liked that shirt. =(

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 15, 2018

I've been thinking about these ruined clothes, and I need to retract my statement that I've never ruined any clothing at school. Once, I ruined a pair of pants - they caught on the ledge of my small easel and ripped on the leg. The metal ledge actually cut so deep, I had to get a tetanus shot! That was a workplace health and safety concern, and the ledge was fixed so no one would get cut by it again. That is my one and only story about clothes getting ruined at work. Those were great pants, actually! I wore them often and I had a hard time finding another pair to replace them. Aside from that one weird incident, I've never ruined clothes at work.

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 15, 2018

Well, lower special needs students tend to have accidents or have been known to cough all over you while having a mouth full of food.

Maybe they are doing art? Messy activities? IDK