How to decorate high school classroom?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by EngTeacher15, May 29, 2007.

1. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

May 29, 2007

I was a traveling teacher this year, but I'm getting my own classroom next year. I teach high school English. Does anyone have any ideas? How can I creatively and cheaply decorate my classroom? If anyone has pictures of their classrooms, please PM me and I'll send you my e-mail! :) Thanks!

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 29, 2007

I've been wondering the same thing!
    I want my room to be fun but not too cluttered or childish.

4. sisterto4

sisterto4 Rookie

May 30, 2007

As a first year teacher next year, I'll get to decorate my room here in the next few weeks. :) (The department head is letting me start early!) My plan is to choose my favorite quotes from literary works or literary figures in history and post them all around the room. I'll layer one piece of colored paper on top of another (to create a border) and write one word of the quote on it. Then I'll do it again and again until each word creates the whole quote. I plan to choose a BUNCH of different quotes until I think the room has my own personal charisma. And, I'm partial to stars, so I think I'll do something with stars in our school colors, too.

Oh! And I also want to find some 6-trait posters to hang up too, but I want some freebies. Anyone know where you can get those "cheasy" posters that teachers have around their rooms all the time?

5. weno88

weno88 Companion

May 30, 2007

6. lisap

lisap Companion

May 30, 2007

To begin the year, you might want to start with some simple things like quotes an inspirational/motivational posters. I also like maps (state, county, country or world) because kids like to look at them during down time (before or after class).

As you go into the year, it might be worth considering a "Word Wall" where students pick vocab words to put up in large letters then either a definition or helpful way to remember it written smaller. You could also put up projects around the room. In English you could assign time lines, Venn Diagrams for comparison/contrast, or some type of art work that depicts the literature. It is a nice way to have the students take pride in their work.

7. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

May 31, 2007

Get some plants that are hard to kill. I went through a bunch of flowers this year- but my bushy plants lasted....

8. BeckyPie7

BeckyPie7 Companion

Jun 1, 2007

Go to www.allposters.com
    This website has some good educational posters and, if you check back, you can find some good sales.
    I also make sure that I have bright bulliten boards and, throughout the year, I do post students work around the room. I know that sounds childish but they do love coming into the classroom and seeing their work displayed.
    Another thing I do is I make sure that I have inspirational quotes posted around the room and I decorate my door with my name and some boarder of some sort.

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

I just got a huge poster at Bryce Canyon National Park that I intend to hang in my room. checkout places that you visit for intersting things to decorate with. It adds personality to your room.

10. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 1, 2007

Artwork is great, as well. I am not currently teaching (but actively job hunting!), but have two posters with artwork from Greek mythology. One is a Salvadore Dali (I believe) print of "Narcissus" and another is the "Lament of Icarus." Art related to literature is fun, and adds pictures rather than words.

Of course, as everyone else said--quotes, especially inspirational!

Bulletin boards are, of course, helpful. I know many high school teachers don't like bulletin boards, but they can be very helpful. While student teaching, I taught Romeo and Juliet to a tenth grade learning support class, so I posted the whole plot on a bulletin board, color-coding each major event by Act.

I also use "Arts Corners"--for any grade. It's an interactive bulletin board, where each day you focus on a different "art" (literature, drama/acting, dance/movement, visual art, music). I usually make a sign for each art, and place the focus in the center for that day. The rest of the board can be decorated any way. My last one was framed by a pre-made/store-bought Stage bulletin board cut-out. Although this goes into pedagogy more than decoration (but it's all connected anyway, right?), the kids actually enjoyed the "corner"/board. They'd look each day to see what ridiculous thing I'd make them do. It was just meant to be a 5-10 minute activity that related the content to art. I used this with Shakespeare, and it's probably best with theatre/drama, but can be used for anything (again, mythology comes to mind).

As a final suggestion (for now), don't forget to include things you like--sports, music, places, etc. Show the students that you're an individual, too!