How to deal with a class that won't shut up?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

Ok so my clase is becoming completely obnoxious. They act like kindergarteners and they are in 5th grade. They never shut up and argue all the time. How do I deal with this at the classroom level?

3. Cobalt_Waves

Cobalt_Waves Rookie

Sep 24, 2013

I have a class of ninth graders who are the same. I would even say they are worse than kindergarteners in a lot of cases. Today I assigned detentions, called parents, sent names to admin. I feel more like a prison guard than a teacher in that class. I hate it.

4. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Sep 24, 2013

Same problem, I now have a silent lunch list on my board and I add students who need to practice being quiet. I just hate pulling out my classroom big gun on chit chat....

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2013

It's not about getting them to "shut up" it's about teaching them when is appropriate to talk and when isn't. I have a very talkative 5th grade class and we practice procedures ALL THE TIME. I'll say "turn to page 56 in your books" they talk to much doing it? "Put your books away, let's try this again" and we do it over and over until they know that opening a book does not require talking. Or getting into groups, or walking into the classroom, etc.

I also have PAT points where if they are quiet and working on their warm up when I come in the classroom, they will get a point. Earn 5 points and they get 5 minutes "Free time".

I never call on or acknowledge any kid who is not in their seat, quiet, with their hand raised.

My kids have a 15 minute recess after my class. They eat up my time? I eat up theirs. Every time I have to pause for a minute I make a tally mark on the board, they know that means one minute after class. In silence. If they talk during the punishment time, time starts over. And they know I will happily keep them away from the entire recess with a smile on my face. :) And that's only had to happen once. They don't try me anymore.

Kids can be quiet. They just need to be taught how.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 24, 2013

I do something similar to above. I wear a stopwatch. If I have to stop teaching I start the time. I don't stop it until they are all ready. The time on the stopwatch is how much of their recess time that they owe me, because it equals the teaching time they took from me.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2013

I've done the same in the past, Christy. The students were most definitely surprised by the amount of time they were wasting over the course of the day.

8. GemStone

GemStone Cohort

Sep 25, 2013

Fifth graders should not need that much instruction on being quiet. Yes, they should be taught your specific expectations and procedures, but this is not their first year in school.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2013

Slam a stack of papers down hard on your desk to let them know you mean business, for a dramatic effect. Then, when they're (hopefully) staring at you in silence, tell them firmly what you expect of them as you circulate the entire room. I did that every once in a while in my subbing days & the rest of the day went pretty well afterward. Let them know you run a tight ship!

10. live

live Companion

Sep 25, 2013

My kids live off praise, but also need firm consequences. I never continue until they are all quiet and, if needed, pull out my teacher face...the one that stops a kid mid-sentence and makes them shush the other kids. If it's not a big deal because s/he is just clueless at the time, I'll make a stupid joke and move on. They've learned that if I ever have to wait, it only takes time away from their favorite end-of-the-day game. Try to find something that they love and are willing to work for, and use that as your bargaining chip.

One particularly "off" day, we skipped over a couple of fun things I had planned and we were all business. I told them about all of the fun things that we had to miss out on, and asked if they wanted to try to do them the next day. They did. I made it into a huuuuge thing, but positive and in a way where we were just solving this problem we had (so...minus the heavy teacher lecture about "doing the right thing" that's never worked for me in the past anyways). It helps to include them in making improvements, because they ARE the very core of the improvements. We called it a "meeting," and we discussed and practiced how we would do better. I plan to have more of these meetings, mainly because too much 5th grade recess drama is being brought back into my room for my liking.

I also have a board where we try to beat our records. My kids are competitive, so I tried to put a positive, team-spirited twist on it. I record class averages, time to line up, time to walk down the hall, and least number of times that I have to wait for them during the day. I put a tally on the board. When they beat a new record for anything, the whole class gets a raffle ticket. If they're extra incredible, a treat. Mostly they do it because they're excited and proud to do better (and track that they're doing a great job AS A UNIT).

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 25, 2013

I have a class just like you mentioned, jpa. I makes me crazy, as it is hard to get through lessons. I've tried all the positives in the world this past month, and not much has gotten through.
    It just seems to be one of those years....I have permission from my principal to allow my kids to chew gum (sugarless) in class. Surprisingly, it works! Many were more quiet today since their mouths were busy chewing gum. How long this will last? I don't know, but I am enjoying getting through lessons!

12. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Sep 25, 2013

But they sometimes do...whether we like it or not or even if it seems absolutely ridiculous to have to practice the basics in fifth grade.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2013

So when they aren't being quiet, what do I do? Yell at them? Keep teaching over the noise? No. We practice doing it right. They always have relapses, but when we have been "practicing" often, they are far more likely to do the procedure correctly.

14. live

live Companion

Sep 25, 2013

:yeahthat:

I agree with both of the above.

For some of students, it might as well be considered their first year of a structured school setting. They're coming in from schools that have way bigger problems than talkative kids, so it might've been overlooked.

Some of my students don't even know they are being too loud. When I tell them they are, they look at me surprised and immediately attempt to lower their voice. Some kids are allowed to yell and talk as much as they want at home, and it transfers to school and needs to be readdressed. We practiced voice levels and one student later asked how loud a whisper was. They need to know how much and how loud is too much (and when).

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 29, 2013

I like the stop watch idea. I have done the tally marks and always felt bad for the few that were not talking. I think I will make a list on the board of who is NOT talking while the stop watch is ticking away. :)

16. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Sep 30, 2013

Agreed. I couldn't waste valuable instruction time on reteaching etiquette that should have been learned in kindergarten. Yikes!

17. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Oct 1, 2013

And your options would be...what? Ignoring their rudeness? Teaching over the talking? You must deal with what you are dealt.