How to choose between traditional and online education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TC5610, Mar 3, 2009.

1. TC5610

TC5610 New Member

Mar 3, 2009

I am making a career change into education, to do this I need to further my own education. I am looking into getting a masters middle school education. To do this I also need to get my certification/alternate certification. I know I may need to do the certification part in a traditional school, but I can do the masters online. Does anyone have any advise about doing this through an online university vs a traditional university. I would love to hear some pros and cons as well as some suggestions about good online universities. There are so many it is hard to know what is good.

3. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 3, 2009

I think with regards to online vs classroom for Education Major, classroom/traditional is with out question the way to go if possible. Now online is great if you need something more flexible. But the experiences you get in a real classroom are key, and just reading and listening to lectures online (at least thats what my online classes have been) wont be as helpful as an active group discussion and activities. The traditional setting puts you closer to where you will be when you get your degree. You can see more teaching styles than you would online.

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Its really up to you. How do you learn?
    I do not learn from group activities at all.. they would have been useless to me. I do not learn from classroom lectures or being on a schedule like that. All of my student teaching/hands on work/field experience while doing methods classes was done in a local classroom with real teachers evaluating you.
    I chose an online school because i could work full time at a decent job and get my degree/cred. without having to re-do my schedule. And because I am more of an independent learner rather than working well in groups. My school did offer chat rooms, an IM program, and forums for interactions with other students AND i found this to be much more open/creative than any other traditional class i took. People - in my opinion - are more willing to participate without fear in an online setting.

It all comes down to what is better for you.

5. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

It was easier to get the masters online for my friend than going to the university.

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Mar 7, 2009

I got my master's online from a state university and I loved it. My brain pretty much checks out at 4:00 after school, so sitting in night classes would NOT work for me. You definitely want to make sure that you get classroom time, though. Being in an actual classroom is really important. You'll learn the most from being with a teacher in their own classroom. If you're not an auditory learner, you'll do great with online. Good luck!